If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado model

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by wehaveaproblem, May 18, 2011.

1. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    wehaveaproblem, I am sitting here with the Bachmann model in front of me and with the exception of the axleboxes I can see absolutely nothing else wrong or incorrect in it's presentation of Tornado in any way.

What are the perceived inaccuracies that are putting you off it? So far as I can see it is a vast improvement on the Hornby Railroad model.

By the by, re-reading this thread I must come across as a Bachmann frother. I'm not - both companies have their strengths and weaknesses and I buy from both - in my opinion Hornby's 4MT and 08 are superior models to the Bachmann ones, just in this instance I am at a loss to see how anyone could take issue with the Bachmann Tornado.

2. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Deleted, double post!

3. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

My point precisely! If neither of the Hornby or Bachmann models suit then I suggest no RTR model ever will and the Op should commission a professional model maker to build one to his exact and demanding requirements. I would suggest around £850 should see the job done.

BTW wehaveaproblem should sell his Excalibur Express model of Tangmere as this model has a serious mistake. Although built with an 8'6" cab the preserved loco (as modeled) carries a 9' cab with the larger cab spectacles which Hornby have failed to portray, still using the 8'6" cab representation on this model.. Now this is noticeable!

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Any Critique of the N-gauge version ?

5. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well i bought one anyway and its lovely.
    Cautionary tale ; decided to fit the finer scale bogie. the wheels on here do look much nicer , a little too tall if anything.
    Anyway, on removing the chassis cover plate which holds the bogie arm on and i had a slight slip and all the wee brass axle boxes dropped of the driving wheel journals - took the best part of an hour using a pin head and a set of scratch 'braces' made of match end s sellotaped together to get these back on and stayed put as i repositioned the drivers into the frames.
    One criticism - the valve gear return crank is too small and so the bearing box ( which is a brass casing in full size) hovers above the middle driving wheel axle In real life walchaerts gear this should appear to chase round after the big end .... Also because the Loco wheels arent driven they have a tendency to stick and slide on bends rather than rotate which im hoping will cure after it has run in a bit...