If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Small Project Ideas

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by BillyReopening, Jul 4, 2013.

1. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for some modelling ideas for a small space - 6ft by 2ft. Other than a few 00 gauge DCC steam loco's I am essentially starting again from scratch...

What should I model? N guage branch line? 00 gauge shed scene? I have lots of ideas but could use some 3rd party input!

Cheers!

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Rather depends on what locos you have and what interests you; a small colliery yard, quayside scene, scrapyard even?

3. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

I'm interested in most things to be honest, although narrow gauge isn't really my thing...

I probably didn't make myself very clear, the dcc stuff I have is left over from a big 1960s layout my dad and I built which has been dismantled since he moved. Any hopes of reusing stuff has been dashed by dad constructing what can only be described as the east coast main line in his garden!

So while I have some stuff, I am essentially starting from scratch, with not a lot of room to spare...

Being used to having the space for 9-12 coach trains and plenty of shunting means if I do something on a small scale it's got to keep my interest (plenty of movement, scenic development etc) - that's why I thought an n scale project might be an idea...

Given I am in Cornwall I was toying with a GWR branch terminus perhaps...

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

why not do a small stabling point, with access from under a bridge ?

easy to rotate a variety of stock and modelling periods.

5. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

a BR blue/post privatisation era sort of thing, like at Exeter or Kings Cross? Did the stabling points exist during the steam period (eg. early/late 60s)?

somewhere I would like to include a "main line" so that should planning permissions from the misses county council be approved I can expand without too much re-construction...

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Problem with 6ft, with the average diesel being 1ft.. youve not got a lot of space for a mainline, and as it exits under your bridge.. you need a 1ft for "fiddle" space.
    Include points, and your down to 4ft..., 3 locos in any siding at most.

However stabling points come in all shapes and sizes, fitting Exeter into 6ft could be interesting..

these sidings certainly existed in steam days.. and they were sandwiched between a roadbridge and a tunnel.., just substitute DMU's for loco's / water towers..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mancun_ian/6022830861/lightbox/
    (fyi not my image)
    if you wanted future proofing make the running lines straight, have 1ft either end of the tunnel/bridge to "fiddle" and keep the sidings accessed from "under one of the bridges"...
    You could always try to put a "temporary" removable extension to your 6ft.. to allow a real train to be "handled"

7. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

I was thinking of the temporary extension idea - having the 'main line' pass through the layout and in the meantime making a loop on boards that can be taken up and put down for a running section - if I build some brackets it can all stack up underneath the layout and leaves it expandable.

I really like the stabling point idea, and if I make it in the London area that opens up stock possibilities. I'll make a quick plan on google sketch up in the next few days and post it here so feel free to give me some feedback once I've done some more research!

8. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Have you checked out the late Carl Arendt's website? It's full of cracking ideas for small layouts. http://www.carendt.com/

9. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Just incase people were wondering what I've decided to do - unfortunately, thanks to my landlord being an idiot, the project is on hold until I have moved house in a couple of months time...

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

When I finally get round to finishing off the N Gauge layout I'm constructing (very slowly) in the loft, I'm looking at a dual purpose layout on a smaller more moveable scale. The idea is to construct something that can be transformed from either 1960's to 1980's to match my stock. It will also be based roughly on a local station, I have two in mind. Redbridge (just outside Southampton) which will include a junction, 3rd rail, station and yard. The other would be Stockbridge on the former Sprat and Winkle line. This one is obviously closed but what if it had survived into the 80's.

I haven't decided on which one yet as they both appeal but both offer variety and local interest.

Just my ideas but maybe they are of use to you.