If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New For 2011

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by 34014, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Diesel and electric loco front doesn’t look every inspiring this year. I’m sure Hornby could have been more creative with its selection of models for 2011. A shame we couldn’t look forward to seeing a Hampshire unit or a Oxted unit. What about a class 92 or a Maroon Western/War ship wouldn’t go a miss

2. 73129

I'm still waiting for 30901 Winchester School to arrive.

3. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Hornby's 'Tornado' (and they are only doing 60163) will be half the price of the Bachmann version and basically be for the kiddies. The slightly fancier version in the train pack will mostly be sold at Argos and the like to people who just want a model of "that engine off 'Top Gear'". The Bachmann version is for modellers; the Hornby version is not and, so long as Hornby only do 60163 and don't start making other A1s I really don't think that they will be treading on Bachmann's toes very much.

4. 73129

Maybe Bachmann could bring out a Brunswick green or BR blue model of 60163. I’m sure that would go down well with model collector?

5. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I think they will anyway, bit of a no-brainer for them really.

Regards,

Dan

6. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I do just wonder if, given that both Companies use the same factory in China, whether the Hornby A1 is actually the Bachmann A1! This happens quite a bit with continental models, but usually because different ranges are actually under common ownership (Hornby themselves have moved better Lima European models into the Rivarossi range for example). I can't see Hornby tooling a full A1 for just a couple of models but we shall see. The Bachmann one isn't perfect and generally I feel Hornby models are just that bit better than Bachmann.

The B1 is not a duplication - the Bachmann model is the original Replica release, so an update is needed - like Bachmann did with the unrebuilt Patriot.

Not a huge range of new models but Hornby will want to make sure they don't overstretch themselves. There have also been problems in China that have delayed many 2010 models, so something of a backlog to catch up. The huge number of new models which arr8ived literally in the couple of weeks before Christmas illustrated this - there will be a few "piggy banks" empty for a while yet!

Steven

7. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    If you look at the engineering sample models used in the Hornby website photos the valve gear and wheels are clearly Hornby style. Other forums are indicating that this model is for Tornado only i.e. reduced height, modified tender, the lot. Therefore Hornby will not be producing any other A1s using the same tooling.

Basically it is aimed at a different market to the Bachmann model.

Regards,

Dan

8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    You won't have too long to wait, now. I think several retailers have received deliveries of this model.

9. 7911

7911 New Member

Yep, nipped in to Hattons today to buy the Railroad County and they had both 'Winchester' and another long awaited model, 'Blandford Forum'.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Never made it to Hattons myself yesterday ... wife was enjoying herself too much in Liverpool 1!! ... 34107 ordered online!!

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Apparently, Hornby are releasing 35004 Cunard White Star instead of 35026 as this years' 'extra', with the latter being scheduled for a 2011 release. I may get 35004 if it arrives, as I'd like an MN from each series. May even get 35026, as my 35028 is beginning to show its age (I've also lost one of the front footsteps somewhere on the layout).

Post-Edit. Ok, they've changed their mind AGAIN. Looks like we are only going to see 35026.

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Ah well, decided to bite the bullet and buy 72008 Clan Macleod before the VAT went up. Probably saved myself a couple of quid, but at £104, it will become the most expensive purchase on my layout. However, I had been promising myself a 'Clan' for a while just to see one with a rake of BR(S) green carriages, thus righting the historical wrong... I think it was a case of now or never! Still awaiting models of 34107 and 30585, but I shouldn't think they'll be too long.

13. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Dapol have announced that they will be doing a 'Western' in OO and N, and a 'Hall', Class 26 and Romanian Class 56 in N.

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    As an aside, and rather than create a new thread, my 'Clan' arrived Saturday, although when I put it on the track for a test run, it kept derailing on my curved points due to the lack of a rear weight-bearing axle (the new fixed Cartazzi-type contraption necessitates flangeless wheels on 2nd radius track). The loco thus appeared to 'sit' on the front wheelset of the BR1 tender, which caused the rear tender wheelset to lift completely off the track, and it was hit and miss as to whether it self-righted. It was also partly caused by excess rolling resistance on the curve caused by a stiffness in the tender drawbar.

So, how did I cure the problem? Well, after a bit of a think, I decided to disassemble the tender chassis, and found that there was far too much lateral movement on all tender axles, so I took the axles apart, and reassembled them so that the back-to-back measurement was 0.5-1mm wider than the factory setting. This cured excessive sideplay, and ensured that the tender was more stable when entering the offending curved points (I think it actually uses the frogs now!). However, this failed to stop the lifting of the rear wheelset, so I had another think. I noticed that the 'sitting' was caused by the locomotive pressing down on the metal drawbar due to a lack of clearance for vertical movement at the top. To cure this, I took the drastic step of bending the drawbar down, and then bending it closer to the pivot locating holes so that there was now a kink in the drawbar. I re-attached the tender to the locomotive, and hey presto!; a locomotive that now runs pretty damn smoothly over the offending point, and is now a prized addition to my predominantly Southern fleet. The exercise has proved so successful that it is now running better than my 'Britannia', No. 70052, which has the BR1B tender... I may do the same with that. So, if any of you are suffering from the same problem, then this is one bodge to get out of it ;).

15. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    sorry to be a big green round the gills here folks .can anyone tell me if a D16 00 gauge is available anywhere

16. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Not in RTR form, although Blacksmiths, Crownline and Little Engines have all done kits at one time or another.

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Still waiting for 34107 from CMC. Its strange that almost every other model shop has already taken delivery of them, I suppose its just my luck (my Grandfather ordered it by cheque, so its probably better to wait). I may get it by next Christmas at this rate...

18. 73129

It’s been some time now since I’ve been to my local model railway shop and got my hands on a new loco. After getting home from work yesterday and will great care I opened up the box of 30901 Winchester and was surprised to see the new style of packaging that contains the loco. There was also two small brackets to be removed from the under side of the loco. The last loco I purchased was Bulleid Q1 33037 which took a great deal of care to remove from its packaging. How long has Hornby been putting their new locos in this later type of packaging with the two brackets attached to the under side of the loco.

Thanks

19. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    It's been a little while I think, my Dad got me Blundell's for my bday last September and they had the brackets under the loco. Have to say those brackets are a bit of a pain in the bum to remove and it take some time to unscrew them.

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Hornby have been doing the split style of packaging for their brand new releases since their new-generation 'Britannias' c2007-2008. I think its a great improvement, and is robust enough to protect any amount of detail. As for the shipment brackets on the 'Schools', I had very little problem in removing them, and I left the screws in. I bought 30915 Brighton soon after release and was blown away by the cab, which looks slightly better than that given to the N15s...