If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Modeling interests

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by martin1656, Jul 2, 2018.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's basically a plotter but with a blade attached instead of a pen. It can cut 10thou plasticard clean through, anything more than that it can still score and you just finish off with a knife afterwards following the cuts already made.

2. nick813

nick813 Active Member Loco Owner

Thanks! :)

3. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Ooh, an interesting toy! :)

Could you let us know some more details please? Can't make out too much from your photo. Thanks :)

4. flying scotsman123

Certainly. Here's a photo with the lid off which should make it more obvious:

[​IMG]

Your material is either fed directly in or placed on a tacky cutting mat which is fed in. The blade sits in the housing and goes side to side for cutting along the x axis, and the rollers pull the material in and out for cutting along the y. It was really designed for paper craft so it can only cut up to 10 thou plasticard, but you can feed up to 40 thou in which it will score, and you can the follow the cuts with a knife or snap the parts out.

You do your design in whatever CAD program you like; I used to use 2Ddesign through school, but since I lost access to that I use a student edition of autoCAD, others have used Inkscape successfully. All that matters is that it can export .dxf files, because the propriety software for the cutter (which I don't really get on with for the actual designs) can import .dxf files. Once you've done that, position where you want and send the design to the cutter, this is what comes out:

[​IMG]

To build up into this:

[​IMG]

5. tor-cyan

tor-cyan Active Member

FS any chance of a makes name/website/ cost as I am looking to build some 7mm scale LNER non corridor stock and thats a lot windows to cut out

Cheers

Colin

6. flying scotsman123

Hi Colin, it's a Silhouette Portrait. A newer model has come out since I purchased mine which I think may be able to cut thicker than 10 thou. There is also the Silhouette Cameo, which is just a bigger version. The Portrait can accept materials roughly the width of A4 (but you can feed up to 10 feet in) the Cameo I think can accept up to the width of A3, but is more expensive. My Portrait cost me just over £100. Even for O gauge coaches the portrait should be fine, you can purchase Slaters plasticard in double A4 lengths which would probably be useful for you.

tor-cyan likes this.
  7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Many thanks, FS. Much appreciated :)