If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hornby locos on Peco track

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by 73129, May 10, 2009.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi everyone I was in a model shop the other day and when looking at the display cabinet I overheard a conversation about Hornby locos. The shop keeper was talking to a customer about some Hornby locos that seem to derail on peco track. Has anyone else come across this problem with Hornby locos? Personally I’ve never come across this problem have you?

2. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

My old Hornby model of Iron Duke, that must be at least 20 years old, did not like some of the Peco crossings, I think the flanges on the driving wheels were too big and would ride up the plastic parts of the crossing.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

It might be a conversation about the code of the track.

Peco make code 75 and code 100 track, Code 75 is more authenticate in scale (smaller rails, rail height above the sleepers) than Code 100, and as a result many 1980's and most pre-1970's models wont run on code 75, however it is much more closer to real life scaling in size.

Setrack from Peco is track made to Hornby dimensions / radius, (Sharp corners and deep curves) which whilst much less accurate than real life is the same as Hornby's, this is only available in code 100. The problem with set track is in the last 10 years the market for models has shifted to accuracy in models, and as such the bogies / wheels / ponys etc wont take non-accurate curves and will derail on sharp corners of settrack (both Hornby and Peco).

Most triang stuff from the 1960's will have difficulty on both as the wheel flanges are very deep.

Personally if it we're me... if Space was no object and I was going for accuracy, my models were all new and I wanted to exhibition, then Code75 all the way.
    however if I need tight corners, my loco's werent neccessarily the latest on the market and I wasnt going exhibition quality layout.. then code 100 will more than suffice and I could use settrack where need be...(remember in real life farringdon curve was banned to Duchesses and Princesses due to the tightness of the radius) :)

Either way... it would be Peco track... it is the best.