If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hornby/Bachmann 2010. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 30, 2009.

1. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Now the tittle sequence for Jame's Mays Toys includes a SR E1 like Birch Grove. As that series has big Hornby support I wonder...........

2. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    None in as of yet!

You're telling me! Its not like they have to make new tooling or anything, just change some of the paint filters and hey presto. Not quite sure what justifies the price!

3. LN850

LN850 Member

Maybe you could ask the railway for the reasoning behind the price, I think half that price and you have something reasonable.

The price has to be about £70, or its not worth buying. I hope nobody buys it at that price, because then they might reconsider the prices.

4. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

An S&D 7F - now that would be rather nice!

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I forgot to mention that I'd like a late-crested Drummond T9 that was still in service in 1960-61 (although I have one locomotive with the early 1950-1957 crest, I'm not particularly keen on it, finding the late crest has a nice sense of balance-purely an aesthetic observation). If I can afford it, I'd get a 7F to add a bit of S&D flavour (I already have 92249, which I believe was seen on the S&D at one point). An E4 would be nice too, once again providing that it was still in service between 1960-61. I'm also interested in Kernow Models' Beattie Well Tank.

6. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I had an alternate idea for the Bluebell 50th Pack.

Hornby could have released a P class series with 323 Bluebell and added the 2nd original coach. So that would mean 2 locomotives worth about £50 each and 2 coaches worth about £25 each and you've got the £150. Makes more sense and get more for your money.

7. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Except they would need to make completely new tooling for a P and an LSWR Lav 3rd which, for a limited run would push the price well above £150. If Hornby were to make a P and LSWR lav 3rd for general release however.....

8. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Please will everyone "frothing" about the price of the Bluebell limited edition pack be advised that the price was set by the Railway and not by Hornby.

9. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Model Rail have commissioned a Sentinal shunter from Dapol.

10. LN850

LN850 Member

Oakfield, regarding the price, we dont give a toss about who set the price, what we are saying is that there is no need for such a high price because there is no reason for it.

We are saying that there is no need for the high price as there was no new tooling, so bluebell dont need to try and fund Blackmoor vales next over haul with it (in case you didnt notice, that was a jibe about how much revenue they will earn from the sales).

Hopefully, no self respecting person will buy one at that price.

11. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I agree that the price is far too high. The Dapol SECR wagon was another item that was overpriced by the railway.

If people do not buy overpriced items then the temptation to overprice in the future will be removed. Voting with your wallet is always the best answer while maintaining a certain maturity in your comments weather spoken or written.

12. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yes I do agree, if it's correct that the Bluebell and not Hornby set the price tag for the Bluebell50 Ltd Edition pack at £150 then sadly they've probably shot themselves in the foot. I thought it was a really good idea to have a model of Stepney in black paired with a blue Maunsell carriage as a special edition pack to celebrate their 50th anniversary but when I found out the price I just wasn't prepared to pay that amount of money. Around £70-80 would have been a fair price but for the Bluebell to set a price at £150 is just absurd.

13. LN850

LN850 Member

Oakfield, appreciate what you said about mature language, however I must say that the price is so inflated that it peed me off big time.

As I see it, this is typical Bluebell behaviour, charge you an arm and a leg for very little.

14. planetpower

planetpower Member

nowt
    I would like to see Hornby produce an austerity with a gas producer chimney and smokebox door, i think Dapol produced one many years ago with the chimney but the smokebox door was a standard J94 one.

15. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

I would like Hornby to do a weathered South Wales Austerity - ideally Mountain Ash No.8 but Pamela, Linda or Norma would be fine! I do think the Austerity could do with an upgrade to the latest standards and then a few other options could be included.

16. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

LN850, I can share your sentiments!

17. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yep it does make you think just exactly who at the Bluebell decides these inflated prices. Firstly we've seen almost the end of photo charters on the Bluebell, with the exception of Jon Bowers, because the organisors can't work with the management over the increased charges they've now imposed and now they've decided to put a price tag of £150 on the Hornby Bluebell50 box set. Does make you wonder what planet this person/s are living on?:-k

18. Eagle1711

Eagle1711 Well-Known Member

Electrician
    an L&Y class 5 2-4-2 as they are too dear in kit form lol

They had 3 on ebay the other day, lucky if you manage to see one!!

19. LN850

LN850 Member

I just want to know what sort of person would buy the set at such a price. Anyone with that amount of money ought to do something better with it.

I hope no self-respecting person buys it.

20. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    We seem to have gone a long way from the topic of Hornby/Bachmann 2010...

How about less discussion of a one-off special product and trying to keep on subject?

Regards,

Dan