If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Heljan / Hattons Class 14

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by RA & FC, Feb 10, 2010.

1. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anyone else got one yet?

Recieved my BR green version today, looks absolutly fantastic...

2. As a model I have been hoping for for around seven years, I was like a five year old at Christmas when my brace of green 14s turned up the other day. So imagine my disappoinment when both have had to be sent back for replacement today.

It's a lovely looking little thing and I'm ecstatic that Heljan has FINALLY got the lights on a WR diesel hydraulic right! However, on (very carefully) unpacking them and placing them on the rolling road for a bit of running in, it immediately became apparent that the strip which clips into the bottom of the chassis isn't secured, it keeps falling out at one end, This makes the wheels drop at that end, the contacts spring out and - on my two at least - it was impossible to keep that strip secured in place.

Also, as with most highly detailed models these days, if a sparrow farts in the next county, details like handrails, footsteps and lamp brackets fall off.

Sadly it seems, as with the Class 17 and Falcon, Heljan's quality control still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm keeping everything crossed that the replacements will be OK.

3. Ozi Steve

Ozi Steve New Member

Yes, received it today. and Y E S the copper pickup strip is loose, but I managed to secure it behind the wheels. Time will tell whether it causes any running problems. Living in Australia it is not really an option to post back to the UK.

I have removed the three body pieces (the 2 hoods and central bonnet). At least there were no pieces of fibreglass, foam rubber, polystyrene or any other material that could drop into the motor (aka class 17)

Once again the maintenance instructions (or lack of them) are far from adequate, there is no 3D exploded parts diagram, no oiling details etc The info on removing the body is totally inadequate -

Quote "Remove the front body by lifting it -photo3" I found this to be incorrect. After removing the screw, the body is loose at the buffer ends but sticks at the cab end. I found that the white cab facia needed to be removed (care must be taken to make sure that it is pulled directly upwards from the body so has not to break off the two pins that hold it in place) Once this is removed the bonnet lifts off easily.

The model looks superb and has so far been run for about 60 min without any problems. Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed that no problems develop - Is it worth 115 pound? well ------