If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Boscombe, Bournemouth, permanent model railway exhibition ?

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Baldwin, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Hello to all. Does anyone have any info or photos of the permanent model railway exhibition set up at the Chambers, Christchurch road, Boscombe, Bournemouth back in the sixties ? Thanks

2. Steve1

Steve1 New Member

Ransome-Grey published a couple of books on 'The Model Railway' and a fascinating read it is. I visited Halebrose Chambers many times during the late 50's early 60's.
    ERG also had a retail shop on Roumelia Lane, Some two or three hundred yards away.
    Copies of the books occasionally come up on e-bay so its worth keeping an eye out.
    Sadly I am unable to copy them to this post.
    Best wishes
    Steve

3. Biggin Hill

Biggin Hill New Member

I'm certain that Baldwin has found the answer to his query, but in case not (and if others are interested) some kind person has uploaded the contents of the booklet about The Model Railway Boscombe to 'flickr':
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/albums/72157678284455252/
    The photographs show it exactly as I remember from my childhood, often begging my father to take me to see it yet again. The 'lack' of scenery - trying not to shove everything in - gave it an air of spaciousness and realism. The electronic control, doubtless then done by relays, was so up-to-date. Very, very sadly, the whole premises suffered a fire in the ?late 1970's that seemed to start in the basement where the railway was situated, though it had long since closed. The shop in Roumelia Lane - the other end of Boscombe from the display model railway - was a creepy and damp basement where 'Jock' would reluctantly sell scratch building bits and pieces, but was unable to relate to this (then) ten year old. However, in realism, I have to admit that their track system would hold its own now - having made a length. No plastic there! Andrew, Bournemouth.

ilvaporista and Bluenosejohn like this.
  4. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    That brings back some memories! I visited the shop a few times with my father and brother. I even bought some card Micromodels that are stored away somewhere. I started one but as a youngster found them difficult to form and put them away for another time.

5. Biggin Hill

Biggin Hill New Member

However, it gets better. By looking up 'Halebrose Chambers' rather than 'Boscombe Model Railway' I found that another kind person (more than one involved, though) has uploaded a short film to youtube about the railway.

The cameraperson could have 'backed off' a bit, the lighting/lenses weren't happy with such close-ups, but the overall idea is charming. I'd forgotten the working roadway - again, well ahead of its time, and seen as 'innovative' when such a feature appeared in the tv model railway competition programme a couple of years ago. Now, though, that diamond crossing gives me the creeps...
    Railway Modeller reviewed the Boscombe Model Railway in its August 1954 edition, if you are a subscriber then you can look it up on their archive website (a relatively new idea).

Martin Perry likes this.