If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bachmann announce Blue Pullman and GWR 30XX ROD 2-8-0

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Bramblewick, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Announcement here: http://www.bachmann.co.uk/index.php

:)

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice ... wonder if I can stretch credibility to have a Blue Pullman running on a 'Withered Arm' layout ... might look odd next to the Santa Fe 2-10-4!! :)

3. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  4. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

You can get away with anything if you stick an LCGB headboard on the front.

Well, almost anything. ;)

5. Not exactly a 'little company' - the manufacturer was/still is Heljan, the third highest profile manufacturer of RTR British outline stock. It was commissioned (which is a rather different thing) by dealer Olivia's Trains. Unfortunately it wasn't handled exactly well - asking for a £75 deposit towards a final amount that hasn't been revealed, for an incomplete BP set, with no concrete evidence of how good the product will be, is unlikely to fill prospective buyers with confidence

No deposit required, a final price stated from the outset and a guaranteed full, six car rake.

To say a 'small rumour' that Hornby 'might' make a BP is misleading. The fact is - as confirmed by Hornby - that the company has "shipped the Blue Pullman tooling to China for examination, with a view to seeing what is required should we wish to commence production" (see mremag.com)

That said, one should take note the Tri-ang Blue Pullman was never a full set, had considerable innaccuracies and only commands high prices on ebay because has been no alternative.

You should also notice the timing of Hornby's announcement - just before Bachmann's announcement of a BP. What a remarkable coincidence! Er... I think not.

I strongly suspect that, in the end, there will either (a) only be one BP produced (Bachmann's) or (b) two, the detailed Bachmann version and the lower-spec reissue of the Tri-ang one by Hornby. In the latter case, the market will be able to bear the lower-spec, cheaper models in the same way that Hornby has re-issued the Lima Deltic and Class 40, etc, despite their being better versions available chez Barwell.

6. More importantly, what I want to know is this...

Now a Blue Pullman, several 3rd rail EMUs and even a Class 85 have been either announced or introduced, what is the breed of D&E modeller who spends most of their time twisting a hanky in their hands, stamping their little feet and grizzling IWANTIWANTIWANTIWANT going to bore everyone else frothing about? :drama:

7. Martin Perry

A reasonably priced 5-BEL?
    Trans-Pennine DMU?
    :)

8. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

At a wild guess, it'll be the APT.

9. thetriangman

thetriangman New Member

Don't think I will be buying the Baccy Blue Pullman at £300 it's a lot of cash to shell out during a recession. I will be waiting for the old Tri-ang one to be relaunched into the Railroad range.

10. Martin Perry

Seem to be a lot of them getting sold on ebay just now, panic selling before the new ones appear? Prices still quite ambitious though!

11. thetriangman

thetriangman New Member

I think the prices staying high is down to there being a good demand still for the old model and the box collectors market. Panic selling maybe, maybe not, BP's do come up a lot on EBay.

Prices for the old Tri-ang Blue Pullman are unlikely to go down even with the introduction of the Bachmann example and will remain high particularly for the collectors market. The Hornby new M7 moudling didn't affect the retail values of the old Tri-ang M7 to any great extent and prices are still very bouyant for good mint boxed Tri-ang M7's so I doubt if we shall see mint condition cheap Tri-ang BP's anytime soon.

The Bachmannn offering is likely to remain the preserve of those who are still working and can afford it in these very tough times. £300 is a lot of cash to shell out for a model in one go for most modellers. Bachmann have somewhat shot themselves in the foot by offering a complete train rather than individual items, individual items would allow everyone to be able to build up a BP train as budget allows.

I am waiting for Hornby to re-release the old Tri-ang one with new chassis, lighting and DCC socket.

I have a Tri-ang BP in the collection but it's unlikely to ever see the rails in this condition. It's still sealed in it's box and is too valuable. The set is the 1966 world's toy fair limited issue and very rare as it is the Blue fronted version in the then new plastic tray style box. The box even has it's outer sleeve in mint condition. Worth about £500 today in this condition!

[​IMG]