If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Zimbabwe Garratts reactivated

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by D6332found, Jul 2, 2019.

1. sitimela43

sitimela43 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The loco has only recently been returned to service following a protracted period out of use due to a sheared crank pin on the leading power unit and a boiler overhaul. The shed staff have started prepping the loco for a repaint but the wish was to put it in service for this run. The excess smoke is usually due to over-exuberant firing as most of the footplate staff have little experience on the locos due to the infrequency of steam operations. As a one-time resident of Hwange I can confirm that the 'old colonial name' survived beyond independence and was a more accurate rendering of the local chief's name.

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Bluenosejohn, 30854 and Spamcan81 like this.
  3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Slightly envious here! Given numerous reports on the state of NRZ, quite pleasantly surprised by the PW.

Again though, to judge from that exhaust, either the local coal isn't the best, or the loco's combustion leaves something to be desired, or the firebed is simply being pulled apart.

Looking at old images of the then RR, many of the later classes, rigid and articulated, demonstrated similarly volcanic tendencies not visible on shots of the earlier 12th (rigid) or 15th (Garratt) classes.

Are any among our number sufficiently familiar with RR/NRZ locos to speculate on reasons?

4. sitimela43

sitimela43 New Member

There are significant problems with the Pway in Zimbabwe, mainly due to under-investment in repairs and renewals, as NRZ is a parastatal and suffers as a result of government mismanagement and rampant corruption. Most of the network is subjected to a 40kph speed limit. The other issue affecting Pway is damage to the formation due to the activities of artisinal gold and diamond miners.
    Hwange thermal coal has at times a higher volatile content which results in excess smoke, although as stated earlier most of the current firemen are inexperienced due to the lack of regular steam experience. Historically much of the exhaust observed in early images had been for the benefit of the photographers, although general practice, particularly on the 15th and 16/16A classes was to fill the firebox. It should be remembered that, in RR days, trains were loaded to the maximum for the class/route and worked hard, with little time at water stops and crew change points to tidy the fire.

5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    With so much (Chinese and UAE) infrastructure investment across sub-Saharan Africa, one has to wonder what the future holds. I found this (general) Infrastructure Report (2019) .pdf (download), but be aware, at 227 pages, 22 of which precede the introduction (!), this isn't a 'quick read'. I couldn't help but notice the term 'donors' (rather than 'investors') appeared ahead of 'business community'.

https://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uplo...imbabwe_Infrastructure_Report_2019_-_AfDB.pdf

6. sitimela43

sitimela43 New Member

Zimbabwe - In advance of the annual working Garratt assessment published in late December, the news from Zimbabwe in the past few days is that steam is finished. There is one Garratt that is technically in working order, 15th class 395. However, unless a third party puts in a substantial amount of money to pay and retain skilled artisans, pay for locomotive and component refurbishment and consumables (listed as steam oil etc.) it's all over. This does not include the Zambian based Bushtracks operation who occasionally work on the Zimbabwe side of Victoria falls with their 14th class 523. (Source of information is NRZ management and European tour operators).

7. sitimela43

sitimela43 New Member

A visit to Bulawayo Steam shed this week revealed the following status of Zimbabwe Garratts.
    Class 15 no. 395 is in operational condition.
    Class 15 no. 414 is awaiting retubing but work not yet started.
    Class 14A no. 519 - work on retube has commenced with removal of smokebox components, etc.
    Class 16A no. 613 is operational but in poor external condition.
    Further to my previous post there is little likelihood of any future work for these locos on the Zimbabwe rail network With no requirement from overseas charter operators or for local excursions. There are also issues over coal supplies from local sources.

Bluenosejohn and Martin Perry like this.
  8. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I don't want to like the above post but many thanks for the information. It is sad to think that these giants will not be seen again in normal operation but honestly we have had more years than I thought were possible, for many good and bad reasons.
    I treasure my memories of these giants from my visits from across the border whilst 'studying' at Wits. I only had a cheap camera at the time but the memories are crystal clear.

9. sitimela43

sitimela43 New Member

On a positive note, the Bushtracks operation in Livingstone, Zambia has a 14A class, no. 523 in regular operation on the Royal Livingstone Express dining train which runs onto the Victoria Falls bridge frequently. They also have another class 14A, no. 522, which has yet to be restored.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  10. sitimela43

sitimela43 New Member

I am able to confirm that National Railways of Zimbabwe have closed the steam shed at Bulawayo and ceased work on the remaining 'operational' Garratt locomotives. The fitting staff have been relocated to duties elsewhere. There is every possibility that the remaining Garratt locos dumped in the shed environs and elsewhere (some 48 locos in various states of cannibalisation) will be scrapped at some point. The only opportunity to see an ex-Rhodesia Railways Garratt in operation is the Bushtracks luxury trains out of Livingstone Zambia to Jafuta siding in Zimbabwe.

National Railways of Zimbabwe are unable to operate any passenger trains due to the shortage of motive power and carriage stock; even the Zimbabwe United Passenger Company (ZUPCO) commuter trains in Harare and Bulawayo have ceased operation.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

That’s sad news. You would have thought that a service could be maintained using steam locos.