If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Z48 - 10th May 2014 - A Tribute to The Great Western Railtour

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Dec 19, 2013.

1. rule55

rule55 Member

I'm not challenging that statement but to be fair what I did say was,

WCRC and DBS I'm sure have their own reasons for manning footplates in the way they do and this thread shouldn't be about debating the relative merits of either but rather celebrating a couple of fine trips with Castles. My reason for mentioning it in the first place was just in reply to a previous post. Perhaps we should move along before offence is inadvertently caused. [​IMG]:)

maureen likes this.
  2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

3. Clive Hanley

Clive Hanley Member

Accountant
    My Congratulations to all involved with this fantastic run with Castle Class no 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. Travelling down to Plymouth behind the "Western" in the morning and hearing its distinctive engine noise brought back many happy memories of childhood holidays spent in Cornwall but what I have not previously enjoyed was a high speed steam hauled trip from Plymouth. What a fantastic experience to be able to travel non-stop at high speed all the way from Plymouth to Bristol in 2014! Simply amazing.

As a photographer though I felt somewhat frustrated at not being able to record the event from the lineside but you can't be in two places at once. What I did try - and I have to admit it looks a bit amateurish - was to stick my iphone out of the toplight window of the Pullman carriage I was in to record the train. I've uploaded several of these mini-vids to my website (thankyou to Zenfolio for enabling this new option) and I hope viewers may enjoy this new aspect to my photo collections in future. However I have two apologies.... the buffeting wind noise issue will be tackled in some way for the future - and for the climb of Hemerdon bank I did not realise my finger was covering part of the tiny lens... Doh!!!
    My website photo collection is here....
    http://evergreen.zenfolio.com/p344094888#hd099c5b

Finally - this is addressed to anybody who did take lineside photos... PLEASE submit them to the Vintage Trains webmaster for everybody to see!
    http://www.tyseleylocoworks.co.uk/photos/

4. D1059

D1059 Member

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Just finished viewing Clive's lovely pictures. And his videos are a lot better than I would have expected from a hand-held phone held out through a window. So I add my thanks to him along with my thanks to all responsible for the operation and the lineside photographers and video-ers (if that's the word?). My personal thanks are also due to the FGW officers who sorted out getting about a dozen of us from the broken down 07:21 from Paddington onto the special at Oxford.