If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Z48 - 10th May 2014 - A Tribute to The Great Western Railtour

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Approaching Whiteball Tunnel
    [​IMG]

2. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

5029 was doing 77.1 mph there

Don

3. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Thanks Al

Another fantastic performance from that honorary class 8 King!

I said I couldn't do both but I was still very pleased with 5029. What was the actual time from passing Taunton to stopping at BTM? Did it beat 5029's 37 mins 24 secs?

Don

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Don
    It was 37 min 11 sec! :p. But to be fair, we did pull up at the country end of BTM for water and so that feels like a dead heat to me. This trip was worth it on a number of levels including the novelty of approaching and passing EXD unchecked. I also think that the time of 18 min 29 sec from NA to EXD (pass to pass) will be hard to beat. It is, after all, 20 miles and 13 chains with quite a lot of it at restricted speed.
    Alan

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought that sort of thing was compulsory? Or did the rules change? ;)

Tom

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well it did give this sad old place the opportunity to salivate over what they are missing and that Didcot enjoys courtesy of the GWS regularly.

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Two great reports on what sounds like another legendary run from the Magnificent Earl and her crews. Two great days for GWR steam in preservation.

8. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Oh I don't think that's fair, I thought the coffee at the GWS was quite acceptable last time I was there. I'm sure Brunel would have thought it a lot better than Swindon's...

michaelh and Jamessquared like this.
  9. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Yes:

MP128.75 to FB Tunnel in:
    5029 3 min 59.48 seconds (Average 74.0 mph)
    5043 3 min 59.20 seconds (Average 74.1 mph)

Both pretty good!

Add my thanks to all involved in a great trip yesterday.

10. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    My effort from yesterday, more sedate than other videos but still thought id share

11. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

5043 put in a super performance but it was not a clear run. Approaching Marley Tunnel we were checked with brakes reducing speed to the mid 20's. Did we catch signals? According to the timetable the HST running ahead of us should have cleared Totnes by that point so it was surprising.

Also we slowed to 37 mph through Tiverton Parkway. We had green signals and the check was followed by a vigorous recovery to the summit. Given 5029 was not checked through Tiverton, and I can't remember any other run having a restriction at that point in the past, can anybody explain?

12. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Is it me? The video seems to go blank (with sound) from around 1:40 to 3:05.

13. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Do you have any times for the Western in the morning ? Through Lapworth ?

14. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

This is not quite accurate. Approaching Marley the on board control team asked us to slow a bit pending confimation that the London HST in front had departed Totnes. That is why we effectively ended up trundling along through Marley Tunnel, which gets very hot and steamy at that speed. It must be remebered that the signal section there is avery long one that goes all the way nearly to Totnes. We got confirmation of the HST departure on the east end of the tunnel and then allowed speed to build up on the descent from Rattery, holding it in check once we reached line speed.

With regard to Tiverton, your signal sighting needs a little improvement as we caught a couple of yellows which is why the brakes went on. That was due to the fact that we had actually caught up the London as he was a little slow getting away from Tiverton Parkway. Once he got away he had time to stop at Taunton and then clear Cogload before we go there. That is why we got slowed and 5029 didn't.

As usual along with the driver and fireman, tribute has to be paid to the on board team from FGW Andrew Pennington and Jon Godden and especially to Network Rail's human encyclopedia of their men and resources in the west country, Tim Maddocks, who apparently spent most of the journey on the phone liasing with various signallers and controllers. Altogether yet another great team effort.

Regards
    Bob

Sheff, Thunderer008, maureen and 4 others like this.
  15. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    thank you for the look out, was fine before loading up, il see whats happened, cheers

16. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Bob,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I assumed the Marley event must have been because of the HST but it seemed a long way off, now I know! As for Tiverton, I got my head to a window as quickly as I could after the breaks went on and the next signal I saw was green but obviously those at the front have a big advantage!

Can I add a thanks to your on-train catering staff: they did a brilliant job. I normally travel in standard so I'm not used to the premium service yesterday, they had a lot of people to look after and the service was friendly and timely. Really good job, even my wife was impressed.

Thank you.

Nigel.

17. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Sorry no. I was mainly typing up my notes from 5029 during the down journey! I did note it seemed to be running well though.

18. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

19. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I was one of those fortunate to be able to ride on both trains and thoroughly enjoyed both days (apart from a very short night in bed in between), so I add my thanks to all concerned. The several checks between Bristol and Hinksey on Saturday, particularly our not being allowed to run straight through Swindon in the expectation of reaching Foxhall Junction before the HST behind caught us up, were only minor disappointments, and understandable on a busy main line railway. Better to have had those in between some spells of good fast running than to have plodded along at a lower speed all the way.

20. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

My estimate of the two checks gives a time lost of 5.3 minutes. It's only an estimate but call it 5 minutes and that gives a net time of about 125 minutes which would have been under even-time!