If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

York Yuletide Express 17/11/2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by peckett, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The same problem as when the doors fail on a SWT service, a power car fails on a HST or a points failure prevents a service getting to its destination. There are some failures where a 'just in case' option is, frankly, ridiculous. My understanding is that WCRC doesn't 'do' insurance. But it does 'do' necessity - e.g. for turning moves, heating if steam heat is not available, underpowered loco up front for the train load etc. They don't waste their time and money for something as bizarre as a turntable not being available.

26D_M, banana patch, Haighie and 3 others like this.
  2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I will leave Mr Shuttleworth of this parish to respond if he thinks a response has any value and doesn't betray commercial confidences.

3. peckett

peckett Member

Yes and more recent ,46100 Ealing to York,60009 back .16/12/2017.I 'm surprised no one has commented on the the run from York to Kettering on one tank of water, I recon its about 130miles ,the A4 did about 30GALS(at best) to the mile on ECML train in steam days .So Saturdays run on those figures from York to Kettering it would have used about 4000gal ,but with a heavier train and a more graded route that could have been higher .So if 60009 still has 5000gal tender there wouldn't have been much water left at Kettering.
    I spoke to the support crew with 71000 when taking water at Kettering a few years ago ,and that had used just over 3000 gals from Barrow Hill to Kettering, York to Barrow Hill is about the same mileage ,so that would put 71000 as using 6000 gals York to Kettering.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Shouldn't that be the other way round?

60017 likes this.
  5. peckett

peckett Member

Thanks for the correction.

46223 likes this.
  6. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

When 60019 brought us back to York, I am surprised she used any water, the 47 shoved out on Kings X that hard, we were doing 60 into Gasworks Tunnel (maybe 30 then).

Same happened all the way up ECML, no stop, she did have the water carrier that day, if memory serves me correct.

7. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

No. 9 didn't do York to Kettering on one tank of water - there was a booked water stop at Barrow Hill and it left there with a full tender. I bet you've been confused by the times given on RTT - don't worry so was the signaller! The water stop was shown as Barrow Hill North Junction so we were brought to a stand there. In fact it was at Barrow Hill South Junction hence the fact that it appears that we left the signal stop at North Junction 8 mins early and were 26 mins late at Tapton Junction, three miles further on.

Peter

sunstream likes this.
  8. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Short clip from Harlington in the evening included in my video from today's run...

9. peckett

peckett Member

Thanks Peter .I had been following the train down from York on Realtime. As I live half a mile from Kettering station I intended to see No9 there. But with no stop at Barrow Hill,and the hold up at Tapton which I thought was to get on the MML.Then a few minutes stop at Melton M and 21 mins reported on RTT from Manton to Kettering ,that was some going.(When they run MML Meridians are booked 23 min, admitted with a stop at Corby.) I bet it made a grand sight climbing away from the slack over Welland (Harringworth )Viaduct up the 1 in200 to Corby Tunnel. After that I was convinced the train was diesel hauled and didn't venture out.

10. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

A video I came across of this railtour HERE.