If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Yellow Stripes

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Tim Light, Aug 31, 2017.

1. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes Ian, 46233 now has yellow cabside stripes and also late BR crest to see out it's last few months in green livery.

iancawthorne likes this.
  2. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Probably least known is 44767 which carried a stripe on the Jacobite trains for a few days in 1996, I have no idea why - it must have been tape because it disappeared a few days after this shot on 12th August.
    Does this make it the only Black 5 to have carried a yellow stripe ?

Scott 32ct96c114 44767 Fassfern 120896.JPG

Landshrew, Johnb and 60017 like this.
  3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Steam Dreams will be very disappointed if she can't! In September and October, she is due to visit Kidderminster, Gloucester and Salisbury - all a fair distance south of Crewe..

4. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Not sure where I scanned this from, so apologies to the photographer/publisher.

49407 at Pleck Junction, 21/8/1964.
    x0110.JPG

5. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Are those wagons in the background not allowed south of Crewe too?? :rolleyes:

Flying Phil, CH 19, Johnb and 2 others like this.
  6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Deep in my memory bank I recollect that Crewe - Manchester & Liverpool were electrified at 25KV and nothing else. Going south a system was developed whereby some sections were at 6.25KV to allow reduced clearances under bridges and save rebuilding them. The reduced clearances also applied to between wire and train. Can anyone confirm this? Wiki seems to do with this statement:
    "Early 50 Hz AC railway electrification in the United Kingdom used sections at 6.25 kV AC where there was limited clearance under bridges and in tunnels. Rolling stock was dual-voltage with automatic switching between 25 kV and 6.25 kV. The 6.25 kV sections were converted to 25 kV AC as a result of research work that demonstrated that the distance between live and earthed equipment could be reduced from that originally thought to be necessary."

It also goes on to make the following statement which I've never heard before:
    "The research was done using a steam engine beneath a bridge at Crewe. A section of 25 kV overhead line was gradually brought closer to the earthed metalwork of the bridge whilst being subjected to steam from the locomotive's chimney. The distance at which a flashover occurred was measured and this was used as a basis from which new clearances between overhead equipment and structures were derived."

7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Steve, I thought that the 6.25kV sections were on the GE/LTSR and some were found round Glasgow. Both areas were for EMUs only at the time, of course. I don't recall hearing about any 6.25kV sections on the WCML south of Crewe.

pete2hogs likes this.
  8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    You are probably right. It is just something I vaguely remember from when the yellow stripes came into being. I know sections of the GER were at 6.25kV.

9. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

When the Glasgow Low Level electrification was brought into service, it rapidly became apparent that the auto-changeover equipment on the Class 303 units (as they were remembered later) was not as reliable as it needed to be, leading to transformer fires. Because of that the mixed voltage system was phased out, and the acceptable clearances for 25kV were reduced somewhat.

10. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

If you visit the SVR at the moment you will see Erlestoke Manor is currently running with a Western Region warning device to help make the electrocution of firemen less likely: a rectangular red frame fitted to the tender as a kind of doorway, to indicate maximum safe height.

11. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

The chances of being electrocuted on the SVR are probably slim. The chances of a bang on the head, on the other hand... ;)
    7812_20170617.jpg

Landshrew and Forestpines like this.
  12. JohnElliott

JohnElliott New Member

That wasn't the auto-changeover equipment, it was the mercury-arc rectifiers backfiring (see Brigadier Langley's report). The changeover equipment problems were on the Shenfield line.

Forestpines likes this.
  13. Steamboat Bill

Steamboat Bill New Member

Translator
    Mornin' all.

Does anyone here know when the first yellow stripes were actually applied? I see above that a Duchess was shot with stripes on 01.08.64 (hardly worth applying them, was it, as the magnificent machines only had a few more weeks to serve), but that's not necessarily the day when the first stripes were applied...

14. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

The only time I saw Duchesses in service (7 of them at Kingmoor and Upperby -46225/226/228/237/244/250 & 257) was my first visit to Carlisle in the summer (July) of 1964. All the Jubilees, Patriots and Scots we saw on that same visit were similarly adorned. From memory they all had the stripe and it was considered normal (but new and modern) at the time and the magazines had contemporary photos of the cabsides wearing yellow stripes iirc. My schoolfriend was lucky enough to photograph 60027 Merlin with the cabside stripe on Kingmoor turntable some weeks before that.

I never did see Merlin.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Steamboat Bill likes this.
  15. sir gilbert claughton

sir gilbert claughton Well-Known Member

retired
    I cabbed it a couple of times . Sorry !...…………………...

blink bonny likes this.
  16. Allegheny

Allegheny Member

Chris86, gwalkeriow, andalfi1 and 2 others like this.
  17. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    That wasn't the best day for the B1. Events later in the day meant we had lunch and dinner on the train in Norwich station followed by service train home.

18. Steamboat Bill

Steamboat Bill New Member

Translator
    I remember being uncomfortably close to oa similar flashover in Crewe station - I'd guess it was late in 1963. A Duchess arrived with a train from Glasgow on which I had travelled, and I detrained to talk to the engine driver. The loco had stopped with its chimney right underneath one of the insulators and as it was early in the morning and the air was damp, conditions for the flashover were ideal. The bang didn't half make me jump and the sparks flew extremely close!

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  19. Landshrew

Landshrew New Member

Guard with SWR
    The yellow stripe has become quite the fascination of mine, with my N Gauge LMR collection including 46239, 46122, 45654 and 43999 having the stripe as of this date, with no doubt more to come. To add to the list of loco classes that received the the stripe, there's a shot on Rail Online of LNER A2 No.60527 'Sun Chariot' at Carlisle Citadel with the stripe on the 25th September 1964. I've also got her in N Gauge, so she'll be treated to a bit of yellow in the near future. Was she the only A2 so treated, unless anyone knows any different? http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1024079548/h64aab8a0#h64aab8a0

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  20. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Polmadie's 60512, 60522, 60524 and 60535 all received yellow stripes, as well as 60527.

Landshrew likes this.