If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR SSG 2024 May 3rd to 6th

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by SebWelsh, Nov 25, 2023.

1. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As a Gala Team we are extremely pleased with the results. 50% up on ticket revenue with all fares held at 2023 prices is better than we could have ever expected. A big THANK YOU from us to everyone who came along to support the event, and we hope to see you all next year. Likely dates for the next one are Friday 2nd May to Monday 5th May 2025. I think my team and I will have a couple of weeks of hibernation before we start planning the next one!

Feedback, positive or negative, is very welcome, and we are very open to sensible suggestions for locos too.

Best wishes, Seb Welsh WSR Steam Gala Team Chairman

49010, dinmore7820, Hemerdon and 11 others like this.
  2. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

If you visited us I'd like to hear what attractions/locos drew you in the most. We may look at doing a survey to gather info so we can shape the event how the most people like it in future.

Crawley Ben and Colin Allcars like this.
  3. Colin Allcars

Colin Allcars Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks, Seb and team. That was an excellent gala, a return to the good old days. I have been to most steam galas since 1996 and this one compares very well.
    It was much busier than it has been for quite a few years. Good choice of locos, mostly smokebox first, excellent goods trains, sprightly loco performance, generally good timekeeping with some nice dwell times to get off and wander, the one loco problem neatly sorted, nice pasties and thick cut sandwiches, some late night running, and some lovely sun.
    No criticisms.
    Suggestions. More of the same, including an ASG. Thanks again.
    And nice to finally catch up with you.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    SebWelsh, MattA, JBTEvans and 5 others like this.
  4. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Friday, day one of the Missus's and my odyssey to the depths of Somerset saw us on the train out to Watchet for some photography, then onto Blue Anchor for the afternoon before returning to Minehead. Some shots of the very good varied motive power in use. P1170649.JPG P1170651.JPG P1170652.JPG P1170653.JPG P1170654.JPG P1170656.JPG P1170657.JPG P1170658.JPG P1170662.JPG P1170670.JPG

5. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Saturday, day 2 and we caught the train down to Crowcombe for the day, sunny and warm for the best part, and a return to Minehead. P1170678.JPG P1170681.JPG P1170682.JPG P1170683.JPG P1170684.JPG P1170691.JPG P1170695.JPG P1170697.JPG

6. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Sunday, day 3 and we got the most out of the ticket going Minehead to Norton and back twice!! Good shout as it rained for part of the day. Fewer shots as we were on the train mostly. P1170701.JPG P1170707.JPG P1170710.JPG P1170714.JPG P1170715.JPG P1170704.JPG

7. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Monday, 4th day and we needed to depart mid-afternoon, the Missus has classes Tuesday, so we stayed at Minehead station before heading back North, we needed tanking up at the cafe on the station before leaving, Tuna Jacket spud and salad! P1170716.JPG P1170717.JPG P1170718.JPG P1170726.JPG P1170727.JPG P1170729.JPG P1170733.JPG P1170736.JPG P1170734.JPG P1170709.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  8. OldSchoolTrains2

OldSchoolTrains2 New Member

Genuinely no suggestions from me Seb, beyond keep doing what you're doing, because it's excellent. Superb loco line-up (being a GWR-heavy line helps in terms of my preferences), but not thinking 'theme' [at least on this occasion] and just going with a varied group of visitors that all offered different kinds of appeal was spot on. The timetable was really creative and varied. I ended up spending large chunks of both Friday and Monday there - not enough to justify two rovers but the chance to buy normal returns too meant it was worth me making an extra visit I wouldn't otherwise have.

Performances were certainly spirited, timekeeping was great all the time I was there (that definitely hasn't always been the case at WSR galas in the past). A really creative event with a great atmosphere and a lot of obvious enthusiasm from those making it happen.

The closest thing I'd have to a suggestion is regarding Jessie's water stop outside Williton on the last train on Monday, which caused a bit of confusion on the train as well. Although the timetable did allow it with the long section time between Doniford and Williton, and if you were looking out of the window on the right side at the right time, you could see what was going on, there were a lot of people around me on the train expressing concern there was a problem. And as that was the final train to Lydeard and many had onward travel plans, there was a bit of consternation from a couple of groups that we'd had a failure. Worth a message over the PA if it's operational or the guard walking down the train to explain if that stop's ever required again? Can't imagine it's going to be a regular one though!

Overall, though, brilliant event. Jessie was an inspired choice of guest. As was Mayflower. And I really appreciate the spirit shown in the decision to pair them up for a run as well. Not remotely authentic but it looked like a lot of fun - and that's what this is all actually supposed to be in the end.

Really looking forward to the diesel gala now, as well as seeing 6880 there (hopefully) in July.

dinmore7820 likes this.
  9. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  10. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

Hopefully I can make it to that one.
    This one, well, so gutted and really really angry I missed it, would have loved travelling behind all engines to Minehead, especially Saturday.

Fish, chips and cider on the see front, double-headered tank engines/GWR engines, a trip behind the Bongo (61306) on the dining set, how I hate living in the South East!

11. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    The West Somerset Railway during their Spring Steam Gala, featuring 61306, 6990, 6695, 1054, 9351, 9466, 7828 and 1873.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ykin01, Britfoamer, Johnme101 and 4 others like this.
  12. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben New Member

Take a well deserved break Seb & colleagues after your efforts, an incredible effort from you and those on duty over the course of the event.

Would ‘Bahamas’ be an achievable/realistic visitor for next year’s gala? (Not sure if the loco would be too heavy for the line etc)

Thank you

Ben

JBTEvans, Britfoamer and acorb like this.
  13. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

45596 would be a treat.

acorb and Crawley Ben like this.