If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR SSG 2024 May 3rd to 6th

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by SebWelsh, Nov 25, 2023.

1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    According to the SVR it is not.

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

If they did have it coming. The railway has never said either way and the only suggestion was a sentence in Heritage Railway saying it was visiting, nothing else from railway or owning group.

3. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    As was reported in three magazines we were planning to host 6880 Betton Grange at our Gala this year. We had got to the stage of having fully agreed hire contracts etc, transport was booked etc etc. Unfortunately not to be this time around. We took the decision early on not to announce until the locomotive had ran under it's own steam. I am glad we didn't announce as this has avoided any further embarrassment for the Betton Grange Society and any disappointment for our valued customers. We recieved the news that it would be unavailable for our event on Friday afternoon, so I am sure the SVR had this info at the same time.

We had a replacement planned but when 2807 withdrew from the lineup this replacement (6990) was used to replace 2807. We are actively searching for second replacement loco but at this short notice it is not looking too hopeful. I think a symptom of Covid is that the loco hire pool is looking rather thin on the ground, there really aren't many railways that have an excess of operational motive power.

We have a very strong line up with 4 visiting engines without anything additional but we are trying for something to really put the cherry on the top. We really are aiming for this event to be one of the premier events of the season.

Hope that clarifies our situation and explains why we never announced the visit ourselves. The information that the three magazines had was leaked by the owning group of the loco.

MattA, free2grice, Aberdare and 14 others like this.
  4. Simon Smith

Simon Smith New Member

Seb, thats a lovely, honest bit of information, thank you!

I think the Grange group need to reconsider how they do business if they are to get any credibility back...

MattA, green five, JBTEvans and 6 others like this.
  5. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    They should perhaps look at the Beachy Head team for inspiration. It'll be ready when it's ready.

6. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Well-Known Member

And that is the most sensible way to do things.

SebWelsh likes this.
  7. AMP

AMP Member

Thank you for the updates Seb.

I don't suppose anyone knows when an outline timetable will be available? Not bothered about loco allocations at this point as I'm looking to book my trains to and from Taunton and it would be helpful to know times.

Thanks

Andrew

8. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

It won't be long. We think it'll come out without loco allocations to start with and they will be added as soon as we can.

9. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

Pleased to be able to confirm another side attraction at this year's event.

We are pleased to announce that shunting demonstrations will be taking place at the Spring Steam Spectacular. At WSR Galas in years gone by, the Dunster Shunt turn became a regular occurance and has been missed. We are bringing back shunting demonstrations this year but with a new twist!

It was commonplace on branch lines up and down the country to see pick-up goods trains working their way from yard to yard, shunting as they go. This sight will be recreated at the Gala this year using restored wagons from our 1940s era fleet. These demonstrations will take place on Friday 3rd, Saturday 4th and Monday 6th May, and will see the Goods Train being reformed at both Minehead and Washford at different times during the day. Note these do not take place on Sunday 5th May as a different timetable will be in operation on that day.

The Goods will work from Bishops Lydeard in the morning, arriving at Minehead around 09:30, where the shunting will begin. This will take place within the locomotive sidings at Minehead and will be fully visible from the platform. Having been reformed, at 12:25 the train will depart bound for Washford. Thanks to our friends the WSR Heritage Trust, the train will enter their yard for a few hours of shunting there. Following this, the loco will run round the train within the yard. As with the demonstrations at Minehead, this will be visible from the platform. Departing at 16:05, the train will then run back to Minehead, where shunting will happen again ready to form up the 'Sunset Goods' back to Bishops Lydeard departing at 19:35. Locomotives on these runs are likely to be no.6695 on Friday and no.9466 on Saturday and Monday.

All attractions are subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time.

Tickets are available to pre-book at a discounted rate at our website - https://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/events/view/spring-steam-spectacular

10. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    I have booked tickets for the Missus and myself for the event, the information with them suggests we need to collect wrist bands at either Minehead or Bishops prior to travel. Can we not collect at Dunster, this is where we are staying and usually start our journeys? A little inconvenient if we have to go to Minehead each day to start the travels.

11. horace

horace Member

I would suggest that you contact Minehead to see if anything can be arranged.

Britfoamer likes this.
  12. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

Yes drop the office at MD a call and they'll be able to advise. I'm not quite sure on the plan for wristbands yet, booking locos and writing timetables is more my thing!..

Timetable to come tomorrow along with an announcement tomorrow and an announcement on Thursday!

13. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

All 1.75 miles of inconvenience! ;)

14. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    May as well shut all the stations for the event other than Minehead and Bishops' then? :D This should help time keeping and save on staffing issues!! LOL!

15. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Actually this is not unknown in some places.......

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

To be honest, it's a fair request. When I've been to WSR galas in the past, we've stayed in Dunster and started / finished our day on the railway there, it being a fairly short walk from the village after breakfast.

Saying that instead of a 20 minute walk along mostly small lanes, someone needs to walk 55 minutes mostly along a main trunk road to Minehead (*) seems rather more than "all 1.75 miles of inconvenience". What's the point of a station if you can't begin your journey there?

(*) Walking times from Google Maps, based on starting on the main village road in Dunster

Tom

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  17. jamesd

jamesd Member

If you've booked ticket already, I'd just join a train and pick up your wristband when you get to either Minehead or BL. I doubt the TTI will make you get off.

18. SebWelsh

SebWelsh Member

Surprise final visitor announcement for Spring Steam Spectacular!

As a surprise final guest engine, we are delighted to announce that joining us for the Spring Steam Spectacular (Friday 3rd May to Monday 6th May) will be Hunslet 0-6-0 no.1873 'Jessie'. Bet nobody was expecting that! 'Jessie' appears at the WSR for the first time courtesy of owner Mike Pearce and her home, the Blaenavon Heritage Railway. Thank you to both for the hire of the locomotive.

'Jessie' was built in 1937 and went on to spend her whole working life at East Moors steelworks in Cardiff. There the engine was used to move huge wagons, full of molten iron ore around the site. Her life in preservation has been much more varied, from starting out on display in a play park in Cardiff, to being converted to appear as a certain famous little blue number 1 side tank loco! Now back converted to her original form, and in original livery as she worked in the steelworks. This will be the engine's final appearance in her current livery, with a repaint planned for her return.

During the Spring Steam Spectacular, 'Jessie' will work a variety of different turns, and there will be opportunities to travel behind this plucky little loco on the Saturday 4th, Sunday 5th and Monday 6th. She will be working the pick-up Goods turn up to Washford on Friday 3rd, Saturday 4th and Monday 6th. Whilst we don't have any 100 ton steel wagons to recreate her steelworks days, she will look a treat shunting our wagon fleet!

Tickets to see 'Jessie' and 7 other locomotives in action are available to pre-book at the link here - https://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/events/view/spring-steam-spectacular

Image courtesy of Declan Hargreaves

0S4A2318-2 (1).jpg

P.s. 1054 is on her way. To arrive this afternoon. Image thanks to James Horrell

Messenger_creation_efbc439f-de60-42bf-8cbc-0fa5b305dbc6.jpeg

19. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

At last year's diesel gala, wristbands were available at all stations where tickets are sold. The pre-purchased rover tickets were also accepted without a wristband. I don't know whether the same will apply at this event.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Britfoamer likes this.
  20. Britfoamer

Chemist (semi-retired)
    G&WR has been using wrist bands for sometime now, but available to exchange/buy at any station or on train from the TTI, seams to work okay for them.