If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Spring Gala 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 82B, Dec 4, 2008.

1. *8A*

*8A* New Member

The original intention I believe was to turn 4936 before its final booked turn of the day on Saturday i.e. 18.55 ex MH. This would of course have resulted in it being the 'right way round' for the first train from BL on Sunday. For some reason, no doubt due to the problems on Saturday, 4936 was not turned and went off instead double headed with 19 as mentioned above on the 15.05 ex MH. The Mighty Kings and I were also very disappointed with this, not least because we ended up with 19 on the last train instead of some nice hall chimney music up to Williton!

2. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    The turntable is still undergoing a testing program using progressively heavier engines. The test turning of 6100 yesterday ticks another box. Due to its bigger tender, 6100 (fully laden) is slightly heavier by about 3tons than 6024, which was the heaviest engine to be turned previously.

David

3. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Did the Loco department take the oppertunity to try Bittern whilst she was there?

4. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I heard that Bittern was too big for the MH turntable.

5. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I guess this is correct as Bittern departed tender-first and was turned on the Westbury triangle before returning to sunny Hampshire

6. ovpsteam

ovpsteam New Member

Re: WEST SOMERSET RAILWAY SPRING STEAM GALA: COMING SOON ON DVD

Dear all,

Here is a quick 10 minute clip of some of the shots i took at this years Spring Gala. Definately one of the most memorable that i can remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jnTRRqJLg

These clips and much much more will be available on the DVD "WEST SOMERSET RAILWAY SPRING STEAM GALA 2009". A personal favourite is the final shot of 34028 Eddystone. Enjoy!

For more information, visit our website at http://www.ovpsteam.co.uk/16.html

Regards

David

7. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

It is probably too heavy rather than too big. With a fully laden weight of about 170tons, it is nearly 30tons heavier than anything else that has been turned so far. The heaviest pacifics (A4, Duchess etc) will probably have to wait for completion and commissioning of the triangle - hopefully next year.

8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Has the turntable come in at a lower maximum weight than had been expected? I seem to recall the two charters that had to divert from the WSR last year becuase it wasn't finished were booked for an A 4 and a Duchess.

9. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Just 1 thing for me to share at this time, my fav shot from the gala which I took on the final Sunday - Well worth the wait :)

[​IMG]

Thanks again to all for the all efforts which went into putting this wonderful gala on. As someone has already said, its certainly the best since the S&D.
    Also a huge well done and thanks to all involved with getting Scotty running - by far my best memory of the gala =D>

10. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that the recently overhauled QB RMB (normal buffet) coach 'Aries' was carrying the number 3108 instead of 1804? 3108 is 'Meteor' the RFO (Restaurant First Open).

11. Er, yes we did. It came back from painting like that when we weren't looking. To correct it, the whole panel will have to be repainted but I guess the job will have to be done. The running number has not yet been applied on the other side of the RMB so it could have been worse!

When the QB set runs in its complete consist confusion will arise when our guard notes the running numbers in his log. It's quite usual for model railway trains to be composed of multiple vehicles with the same number of course but I've never seen it in real life before.

Barrie

12. We were a little overwhelmed initially that morning and were a steward down, so I apologise to those who had to wait a little longer than usual for their main course. All of the diners served towards the end of the down journey had already confirmed they were returning on our up service so I don't think anyone had to rush their meals. To the best of my knowledge we only turned two potential customers away that morning. I personally think it best to serve as many people as is reasonably possible rather than limit sittings to the mere 31 seat capacity of RU 1909. We served as many people on at least two subsequent breakfast trains during the gala and in both cases had everyone's main courses served by Williton.

There are now a lot of regular passengers who consider the Quantock Belle gala service to be one of the highlights of these most enjoyable gala events. For this we are grateful and look forward to offering a similar service at the forthcoming Mixed Traffic Weekend, a first for the QB.

Barrie

13. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
  14. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I received the WSR's Online newsletter yesterday. It reports that a total of 10636 tickets were sold for the 6 days of the gala. This narrowly beats the previous record in 2007 and is a massive increase of about 68% over the disappointing numbers of last year. Well done to everyone at the West Somerset for a fantastic result especially in the middle of a recession!

I also see that the General Manager is to meet with charter train companies soon and will discuss when it is and when it is not a good time for them to visit the line, so hopefully Saturday's problems can be avoided in future.

Apparently they are planning a Great Western theme for the Autumn gala - will be interesting to see what visitors they can come up with.

15. James

James Part of the furniture

Excellent footage, but that's 34028 "Eddystone" with the Black 5 at the start, not 34046.

16. pennysteam

Didn't manage to get a program due to a late arrival on saturday, so it not easy when they are exactly the same from a distance, I relised it was probably wrong this morning, but there no option to update a film on youtube.

17. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Not quite the same, Braunton carries a shield above her name and has black nameplates, Eddystone doesn't and her nameplates are red. ;)

18. pennysteam

19. Columbine

Columbine Member

20. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Here Here. Lets hope for more of the same in 2010