If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Mixed Traction Weekend 10-12 June 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by West Somerset Wizard, Mar 30, 2016.

1. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Seen else where 1010 was allowed out today, nice to see that was advertised... Would have come back down today if there was some notice, this is why the lack of communication lets the railway down,

2. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In fairness I was at Wiliton when they put it on the front of the 0850 and even moving it light from the depot it shut down twice so it was on a knife edge if it could manage the 20 miles it did eventually do,I don't think it would of be fair to say it was going to do etc etc when it was very very probable that it wasnt

3. 34098

in fairness like friday i'd of taken a chance of it being out, if it didnt produce it didnt, just a little hacked off the railway didnt even mention it might have been out, the wsr seem like pros at shooting themselves in the foot

4. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Typical I work on the day the western comes out to play.

do you moan at everything?

nick813 and Robin Moira White like this.
  5. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Do you know when the DEPG decided it was going to work? I would guess about 0845 this morning judging by Captain Fantastic's post, so how much notice could they have given? I was surprised when I saw it on the BL webcam running round so there are ways you could find out for yourself.

6. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Answers on a postcard. ;) (BJ)

7. 34098

any notice would have been better then none,fast car move could have got there, even with a tiny bit of notice,
    thats the point i'm making,when ever this was decided last light 8am 8.50am , with all the social media available spread the word, there is a possibility 1010 may be out, the word would have spread,
    I wouldn't have been disappointed if I got there and something like friday happened again,because I know how much of an ill loco she is and how much hard work goes into her, I wouldn't make donations when I can to the loco if i didnt respect the hard work put in by the small team and the thought of 1010 even moving around the depot is an outside shot. this isnt a dig at the depg, its not up to them to publise the railways gala activities, the railway must have known about a plan to try again and could have put it out there.
    so if I was you i'd climb off your high horse, before attacking me with your guess work, fact of the matter is the communication over this whole gala has been appalling , I hope the numbers stack up and the future is brighter I really do.

You try to be positive but theirs not alot to be positive about, apart from promises the future will be better,

Actions will speak louder then words on that front.

8. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

I will just answer this in the manner I do many other posts on here - if you think it could be done better, then I presume you must have the knowledge how to do it better so come and volunteer. Your actions would speak louder than your words!

9. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Hia
    well here we all are after the event so to speak and i think that some little and not necessarily expensive lessons could be taken away from the weekend

Firstly the DMU diagrams, i saw some runs with only the crew on others with under five people on, even before they ran i and others i talked too really couldnt see the point of them, i mean who were they supposed to attract? given that there was a enhanced service running anyway its not as if there was a need to move people to Dunster the paths they took up could be more usefully be taken up with shunter shuttles either using a visiting shunter or IF it could be sorted the Williton four wheeled thing or the MOD shunters or if it gets fixed the 04, if the volunteers are good enough to give up there time to drive/guard or TTI they have to feel that their time is usefully being used not going up and down on empty trains. The shuttles would not necessarily have to go to Dunster just up to the back of Butlins would tick the box for those concerned
    Then theres the catering the Breakfasts on Saturday at least was very very well used but seemingly not on Sunday, could a point not be made for somone to go through the train asking passengers if they would like bacon rolls as some of the people travelling didint want one of the ,admittedly brilliant by the way, breakfasts but would be more than happy munching on a bacon roll
    I heard someone asking the guard why wasnt the Observation coach being used on a rake instead of spending the weekend just standing at Lyd, if it could be added to the end of one rake and take say and additional £10 per journey that would have added something instead of nothing
    One thing that was mentioned on here and again on the day was why was so much time spent waiting time at stations instead of moving surley the timetable could be tightened up so to allow more travelling opportunities instead of just waiting
    Again i feel i HAVE to bring up the use of steam traction on TWO return runs when you are trying to attract people to your event instead of spending their hard earned money somewhere else you have to give them value for there money they simply are not happy spending money to see trains running that they have obsolutley zero interest in that takes away possible turns that they may want to travel on, we have all heard time and time again the argument that public want to travel on steam etc etc but im sorry they can travel on literary any other time and have that and surely the extra numbers that may attracted by a all diesel timetable would surley make up the difference, and as for the coach parties well 40 odd turned up for a train out off Minehead on Saturday and we didnt hear anyone complain about that in anyway they just enjoyed the journey there were four sat opposite us and were asking about the loco on the front (class 42) and were more than happy with,Theres only two left in the world etc etc
    The freight train that ran on Saturday morning was a missed opportunity,IF they run then there really should be an opportunity to travel on them, as the train the train was waiting on the platform at Lyd waiting to go there must have been at least ten people that asked the guard if they could travel, now as this train was running anyway then that is literary money for nothing all it would have taken is the diagramming of a TTI to travel in the front BV and there you go £100 for nowt
    Please Please have VARIETY if nothing else how many galas have we had now with the home based Hydraulics with visiting Hydraulics on top, for people who like their Hydraulics thats great but there are people that would buy tickets to travel on other things small Sulzers or something EE that are just not being catered for in anyway

I hope someone listens to the point above, im not having a rant, im not calling anyone names but these really are good points and i hope they are taken on board for next year, we shall see :)

Geoff May and 34098 like this.
  10. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Thanks for coming up with some interesting proposals. It makes a change from people just complaining and not making any suggestions.

I expect Robin White will pass these comments on as she promised some time ago, but you could also avoid hoping that someone might read them by contacting the railway directly. Some people will tell you that the WSR deliberately ignores comments about its galas, but other than sending an email, you could also post your comments on their Facebook page if you subscribe to that. To be absolutely sure that your views get through to the right people, why not phone the WSR and ask who the best person to contact is.

One final thing I will repeat is if you feel you have a valuable contribution to make, you should get more involved. I see you are an active volunteer but you don't say where, so you know that your actions speak louder than your words!

11. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    I spent from Thursday until today in the area and took the opportunity to ride on the trains on Friday and attempt some photography yesterday. I thought all things considered, it was a pretty good gala but probably with room for improvement, as echoed by others on here and people I spoke to over the weekend. However, unreserved praise for whoever made the treacle & ginger cake on sale at Blue Anchor station - delicious!
    This is my shot of D1010 piloting D6575 on the 0955 BL - Minehead (1010 removed at Williton) in dull weather yesterday morning, on the climb out of BL...........

DSCF5626.JPG

34098 likes this.
  12. 34098

They've done a good job cutting that back,

13. 34098

You have made quite a few good points there.

14. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Thank you for those useful points.

I spent some time today with Colin Howard, WSR Commercial Manager, largely focused on the Ops Development work I have taken on.

As part of that we discussed WSR special events, including the 2016 'Mixed Traction Weekend 'and the feedback that has been received. He permits me to say that the 2017 diesel event will take place over the three days 9/10/11 June 2017, and that serious consideration will be given to the feedback received. Colin would hope that an outline of the approach to the 2017 diesel event (name to be confirmed) will be given in the next 4 to 6 weeks. When there is more to say, I will ensure that early information is given. Please feel free to copy this statement to any other relevant websites or interested persons.

Robin White
    WSR Operations Development Officer.

15. 854tiger

854tiger New Member

Retired but volunteering

Robin, 2017 sees 40 years since the end of the hydraulics on the then BR. Maybe there's a diesel event theme in the making there? ;-)

Steve.

16. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Oh for the love of Mike,really given that the WSR had 14/35/42 & 52 working this weekend how on earth could you make that different except bringing in additional locos of the same classes that you already have ,42 excepted, and that's exactly what they've done year after year already . Robin please don't be sucked in to doing the same old thing again,have a intensive hydralic running day by all means but NO not AGAIN at the main gala they have done that time and time again

17. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    We are aware that 'more of the same' will not do.

Robin

18. 854tiger

854tiger New Member

Retired but volunteering
    Nowhere did I say that it had to be a theme for the main event. The 40 year anniversary would be at the end of Feb, and maybe there could be scope for an early season hydraulic theme day? Just putting the idea out there.......

34098 likes this.
  19. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Now that gets my full support Sir,if it could be arranged before the main season gets into swing then no puff puff

20. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Noted. And I am also anxious to see arrangements are in place to ensure that the 'home fleet' of diesels gets appropriate use throughout the year. You will have seen that the return to use of D1010 on Sunday morning did get me down to the station with my camera! My secondary schooling was at Sexey's Bruton, adjacent to the WoE main line, and starting in 1975, so the last years of the Western Hydraulics are special to me.

However in 2017 the Spring Gala will be in April not March, to accommodate potential winter works, so we are not planning to do anything too complex before then.

Robin