If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Mixed Traction Weekend 10-12 June 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by West Somerset Wizard, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    56302 has been quoted on Facebook.

2. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

They were advertised to work a mainline rake-into Minehead,MODs on rear out to Dunster,detatch MODs ,loco on rear to haul back to Minehead.attach loco to BL end and depart.
    Brake van rides at Minehead?

3. D1072 Western Glory

D1072 Western Glory New Member

No I do not currently volunteer

Thats what needed is a solution,which can't be hard to find. Not another problem,excuse or reason not to do it.
    Needs a cando attitude, not a cannot one.

4. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a time issue with the dreadful hourly fester gala timetable.

1757 Crowcombe Heathfield on Sunday evening, do you want to get to BL and home or fester for 16 minutes for a LE to pass which has done nothing for two hours and could have piloted 7017 on the 1655 from BL-Williton.?
    Likewise the 1655 could have been retimed to 1640 to allow the 1547 from Minehead (last DH train south) into BL 15 minutes earlier too.

5. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Another thing to consider IF the railway insist on having a kettle out in the Diesel gala why does it need to take up the plum 10:XX path out of LYD and do two returns, why not bang it on the 11:XX do one single journey then keep it at Minehead until 15:XX or 17:XX, I think its poor that it takes up a big slice of the day going back and forth twice, when there are some of the diesels that don't get as much use when the people that we are trying to encourage to spend their hard earned money on a Diesel gala ticket then get bowled by a teapot. Just think if you turned up at a steam gala and find a diesel on the main first train of the day and take up four paths during the day, they wouldn't stand for it why should the diesel fans have to put up with it

6. The WSR continues to exist thanks to the income from those who come for steam. Especially in early June. Far better the lobbying is made for a diesel-only event during March or maybe October when there are far fewer people wanting steam. If that is agreed, then the WSR will surely be able to put on a diesel event to satisfy everyone. I believe the WSR does want to cater for those seeking diesel haulage but it must first ensure it remains open for business. So I say, again, to my SEPT colleagues, create a diesel event in March (and maybe also October too) and forget the awkward current MTW event.

Steve

7. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

I could understand anyone being annoyed if they turned up at a steam gala expecting the first train to be steam hauled only to find a diesel on the front, but the steam hauled trains at the MTG are shown in the timetable, so diesel-only fans can plan to avoid them in the same way as, for example, hydraulic fans avoid diesel-electrics. I don't see why anyone should be 'bowled' unless they've misread the timetable.

I expect the steam is put on the 10:XX and 16:XX trains as these are likely to be most popular with people turning up expecting it to be a 'normal' timetable day. There could be a case for the middle of the day steam trains to be diesel hauled.

As to the hourly timetable, I agree it could be tweaked at the end of the day, as it is at the start, but I would challenge anyone who doesn't like it to come up with a detailed plan of something more attractive, bearing in mind how much time is required for token exchange and passenger transfer at crossing points, also building in recovery time in case of delays during the day. I reserve the right to discuss with them why I think their ideas may not work!

8. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

March/early April (depending on Easter) and late September / October would I suspect be more preferable for many diesel fans than June. It would be for me anyway.

Captain Fantastic likes this.
  9. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    I really don't see that would be a problem , I mean it's nice having the good weather and light evenings but by moving it meant that there would be no steam then it's fine with me

10. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Heard a rumour,there maybe a WTT change for Friday and that 1010s being allowed out can anyone confirm please ta.

11. 34098

That sounds like a good compromise to me ,maybe one has the visitor the home fleet only. Add that to the mixed traction lsw and running days. Pans out to be a good year.

12. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  13. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Well i saw it earlier today and honestly it looks a whole lot better than it did last time i saw it, so there has definatley been work going on

14. 34098

Yeah I've seen photos of it, looks alot better then it did in march ,is a credit to the guys who have put the work in,to get it out for at least one day, my gen suggests its out on the Friday only and if it behaves out on 25/26th.

15. Adam-Box

Adam-Box Member

I wonder if the MTW could be kept in addition to a new diesel event. It could be made 50/50 steam and diesel and possibly have one visiting loco from each category. That way you can get more diesel running as well as the Mixed Traction weekend for those who want both.

Could the MTW then have slightly lower fares than normal events to encourage more people to visit?

16. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Had hoped to see D832 and D7017 double headed one last time as never seen it.

17. robinguarddriver

robinguarddriver New Member

AIUI there will not be a WTT change.
    If D1010 is out it will be with another Loco. I have heard a rumour which train etc but because it is not official gen I can not post it here.
    Robin F

18. robinguarddriver

robinguarddriver New Member

Currently both ROF's locos require work.
    Maybe if there is nothing major to be done on them, next year they could be used!

19. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

There is already a 50/50 event, it's the Late Summer Weekend which this year is 3/4 September.
    It's possible that there is not the expertise currently on the WSR which can solve every problem. If anyone here on Nat Pres thinks they have the solution to any of these problems, then they should offer their services rather than complain that the WSR cannot do something. For example, I would expect that getting the ROF locos going would be low on the priority list at present, but if there is a small group of new volunteers who think they could get them operational again, they should consider taking them on as a project.

20. 34098

Already have that in the late summer weekend.

Adam-Box likes this.