If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Diesel Gala - Friday 9th- Sunday 11th June 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Captain Fantastic, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've been having a ponder and I've had a few thoughts, I've been told that there will be someone new organising the diesil gala next year so we may see some differences/improvements
    This year on Friday the DMU ran from LYD to the Tiverton end of the triangle, I'm not sure if this was advertised, but everyone I talked to about were very presently surprised that it did, so next year could that be advertised better and IF it's possible run the shuttle out of the bay platform at LYD this may bring some track scratchers in. Again this year the DMU shuttle at MD going to Dunster was very poorly patronised with under 5 people on most runs, I said the same last year but I really don't know who these trains are being run For? On Sunday thevening shuttle that should have run after the arrival of the 13:03 ex LYD was caped to allow for some lost time to be recouped so again if they weren't in the TT it also gives some scope for some recovery
    Also the cross platform connections at LYD say on Saturday like the 12:59 arrival to the 13:03 departure was one that seamed very popular to enable those that wanted to keep on the move so to do, IF it is possible to do it make those connections of a like in terms of the motive power,say hydraulic to hydraulic I realise that all timetables are a compromise but IF it's possible then why not
    The complete lack of any use of the shunters was a disappointment to those who like a bit of rod haulage I know I've driven hundreds of miles just to get 08195 and the rest of the timetable was just gravy, I said this last year but on the first day of the gala if the shunters are going to be used at Minehead run the 09 down from LYD as a early non/limited stop service and if the MOD shunter is still at Washford add it to the service on the way through
    The QB doing breakfast again seamed popular but it's use on the second or third (on Friday) train is too late, if you could run it out of LYD at say 08:50 limited stop service then would also be a earlyish dining service from MD as well potentially doubling the use, and if you could combine it with the use of a visiting loco so much the better
    Hopefully the past weekend will be a success for the line but with a bit of thought the line could be busier still and that has to be a good thing for everyone, again in putting these thoughts out there to help the lines one weekend gala to be a success for all of us, the visiting loco's this year were all good choices IMO it's just the finishing touches that could put the shine on things

2. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    The MOD shutters are not vacuum braked, so their use on passenger services is very unlikely.

The Bay platform at Bishops Lydeard is not signalled for passenger movements, and a departure from there can only be to the up sidings. But how about (an evening? Friday or Saturday?) sidings tour with the DMU: NFW triangle, BL up sidings, wrong road through Crowcombe, Williton north and south yards, Minehead Bay sidings and Loco sidings? Perhaps ending or starting with BL to MD non-stop trip. It would be a lot of hard work for a couple of operators, clipping and unclippping, but I'd be happy to do that if it would be patronised.

The Special Event Planning Team will have a new Chairman next year. I'm not sure that has been officially announced yet, so you will forgive be if I don't steal their thunder, but when they are, do drop them a line. You plainly have a useful contribution to make.

Robin

3. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Hello Robin thanks for the reply, I don't know who the new Chairman is,I just know there is one so I promise I won't steal any thunder there. I do realise the MODS are air only that's why I suggested putting it on top of the 09 so it could act as a brake translater
    The idea of a little track bash immediately after the last of the normal services sounds like a winner though thumbs up from me for that

4. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
  5. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Thanks.

To gauge whether to champion this idea for next year (and offer to be out with pointclips) can others say whether an evening 'sidings bash' would interest them?

The sensible arrangement would be likely to be a non-stop run in one direction (while the boxes are still open) followed by working back along the line into the unusual places with a couple of 'groundsmen' and a travelling signalman.

Friday or Saturday evening?

Robin

6. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Count me in.

Stef.

7. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    By the way Robin how was it having all those beer tents in your front "garden"as it were ;)

8. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Fine

I assisted the WSR Commercial Department in negotiating a parking arrangement for the folks at the station which relieved the pressure on the limited facilities at the station with a neighbour of mine, and I was Guard on Friday, MD signalman on Saturday and Bishops Lydeard on Sunday, so wasn't around Stogumber that much,

There did seem to be a bit of a shortage of cider on offer, though. Most puzzling :Wacky::):Wacky::)

Robin

9. 854tiger

854tiger New Member

Retired but volunteering
    ....an excellent idea, so me too.....:)

10. I'm keen to source some images for the 2017 Diesel Gala picture page on wsr.org.uk of the DMU shuttle from Bishops Lydeard to the Norton Triangles. Particularly looking for images of the DMU on the section from Barnstaple Junction along to the very end of the line at Allerford Bridge. If anyone can help, post 'em here or email to wsrpix@gmail.com (see "Submitting images" page for run-down on copyright and re-use) Thanks.

Steve

11. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

count me in for track bash.

12. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Evening track idea sounds good. Noticed the lack of cider too.

13. I couldn't agree more. Perhaps next time.

14. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think the SVR gala is a little different from the WSR gala, in that people probably travel further for the WSR gala, it being further away from densely populated parts of the country. I travelled 140 miles each way, and getting some 'home' loco haulage was a positive factor to justify the outlay.

John

15. AnthonyTrains2017

Could it be done this year sometime? And tickets sold.

16. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    The idea of running it is to attract punters to the gala Anthony, to do something that's an attraction that doesn't cost much money so more money can be spent on bringing in visitors

17. AnthonyTrains2017

OK I'll wait a year

18. AnthonyTrains2017

Shame it wasn't suggested for this gala

19. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

I seem to the think I did a year ago for the Norton triangle ...

20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    But look at how many people book time off for a long weekend away in Swanage for the diesel event there? If you can convince Mr Joe Crank to suggest to his missus 'how do you fancy a weekend by the seaside' you can be onto a winner! I was at Sheringham on Saturday and when you think that it wasn't that long ago the NNR didn't really 'do' diesel events, they certainly seem to be making up for it Now! By all accounts this years WSR event went well, so while everyone's rather happy, the time for sitting down and planning (and negotiating the budget!) is now! Start making the phone calls and enquiries now, you might not get everything you ask for but you'll be in a good place to start.