If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Autumn Steam Gala, Thu 6 to Sun 9 October 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Mar 18, 2016.

Guest loco substitutions expected for Autumn Steam Gala - details very soon.

Steve

1. The WSR Plc have made an important announcement:

In late September we were advised by the Bodmin and Wenford Railway that work on GWR 0-6-0PT no 4612 had been more extensive than first planned and that this work would not now be finished in time for the locomotive to be collected on Monday 3 October. They have been kind enough to make GWR 0-6-0PT no 6435 available as a direct replacement. All services previously advertised as being worked by 4612 will now be worked by 6435.

Later the same day Swanage Railway advised us that due to the availability of sufficient locomotives to work home services LSWR M7 0-4-4T no 30053 could not be made available for collection as planned. This is unfortunate as we have enjoyed having this locomotive in the past and were looking forward to a repeat visit. Understandably Swanage were not able to offer a replacement, but after 24 hours of searching our good friends on the Severn Valley Railway were in a position to make available GWR 0-4-2T no 1450. All auto train services previously advertised as being worked by GWR 2-6-2T no 5542 will now be worked by no 1450 and all services previously advertised as being worked by no 30053 will now be worked by no 5542.

Our thanks to all the railways involved for their help in maintaining what still promises to be an excellent gala.

Forwarded in good faith.

Steve

Adam-Box likes this.
  2. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    When I first heard about GWR's Taunton/BL shuttles I had a feeling that it would mean that locos would not be turned on the triangle on the Saturday.
    To my mind turning the locos at both ends of the line is what sets the WSR galas apart from all the others, and must surely be a big 'selling point' for the gala.
    As someone who gets equal enjoyment from traveling on the trains and photographing them, being able to stop for a couple of hours at any station, or nearby vantage point, and know that when a loco comes past it will be chimney first without having to study the timetable to find out which way round the loco is is before choosing the time and place for my stop is a very big plus.

Will not turning the locos at both ends of the line put people off from coming? Maybe, maybe not, but I suspect that some who can only come on the Saturday could be disappointed and might even voice their disappointment on the various social media sites. Then again, the GWR shuttles from Taunton could encourage people to come who might not have done.

I'm glad that the matter has been made known so that I can better plan my visit and do my main 'photographing' day on the Friday not Saturday as I usually do.

3. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Has the footfall been great in previous years for this shuttle service? I can imagine from Taunton AM and the last trains back being busy but what about say 1pm? It's a shame too the shuttle finishes with a (possible) connection from the 1545 from Minehead (and no doubt if trains are late it won't wait!), and not the later trains. It seems a bit half arsed in all honesty, I don't want to sound negative but it just seems that way, no doubt its down to crewing the train. I notice the First bus service to Taunton finishes earlier now too, just about connecting with the last arrival from MD.

4. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see...... I thought the idea of shuttles to the WSR galas had been tried and failed (I remember both First Great Western and Virgin Trains doing them). I can't see the value of them other than at the start and end of the day as surely most visitors to a gala want to make a full day of it?

I also agree with the previous poster that losing the turning of engines at both ends of the line means losing one of the Unique Selling Points of a WSR gala. It's not a reason to stay away as far as I'm concerned but it is disappointing. What is more disappointing I'm afraid is the loco line-up. I know it's not easy finding guest locos for galas these days but how many times have we seen 1450 and 5542 at the WSR. They are almost "home fleet". I think 6435 has been before too? I had hoped that they could have found something that wasn't GWR/S&D. Having said that I do appreciate the efforts of all involved to put on a good show and I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

free2grice likes this.
  5. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd have to agree that it's not an inspiring line up.

Robin

6. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

On previous occasions I have twice been Conductor Guard on the Saturday Taunton shuttles for the Mixed Traction Gala, and we usually attracted about 250 passengers, and somewhat less on the Sunday, and, as you say, the first 2 trains in and last 2 out carry most of the passengers. One year, it was advertised locally as a novel means to get to Taunton for a day out, but take-up was very poor. I expect GWR time the train so it can come from and return to Exeter with one crew for the whole day.

7. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

I have photographs of every spring & autumn gala from 2002, with the exception of the autumn 03,04 & 06 galas, and agree with you that 5542 has visited often enough to be classed as"home fleet", 1450 has been a few times as well as has 6412 but I can't find any photos of 6435 the closest I can find is 6430. So unless 6435 visited on one of the three autumn galas I missed, it's a new visitor.

As you say it's not an easy task finding guest locos, and even harder to find ones that have not been before, and as we've seen this year sometimes locos can't be spared by their home railway so I think the organisers do a very good job each gala.

1472 likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

Wanna do your bit for the WSR?

Share it, print it, post it, pin it, tweet it, shout it.

Folks won't use it if they don't know about it.

Steve

9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    While I'm not yet sure what my first born's view of the situation is, paradoxically it isn't without its attractions. Rather than trying to make a whole line trip behind a particular loco, instead I hope to be able to concentrate on things like the shuttle to Taunton, the Auto Train & a visit to Williton. That of course and the fact that the 14XX is a much more appropriate loco for the Auto Train

1472 likes this.
  10. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

The loss of the M7 is a shame but the idea that a GWR line 20 miles long through attractive scenery in the coastal SW with two Halls, a Manor, 14xx, 64xx, 55xx, 4f & 7f all working is not an inspiring line up suggests that some folk really have come to expect too much!

Some years ago that would have been the Gala of the decade!

11. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

My apologies - I was thinking of 6430

12. johnofwessex

I note that the last train from Minehead on Saturday is going to be a 'short' set

Are any contingency plans in place in the event of overloading?

13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Breathe in?

Tom

steamvideosnet likes this.
  14. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

If previous years are anything to go by, that train is unlikely to be well-patronised, and 4 coaches will probably suffice.

15. johnofwessex

Thanks

16. johnofwessex

Thinking about it a pannier and 4 coaches on an autumn evening sounds very good

17. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Hoping shuttle 150 will be the green one. And able to photo a gwr loco next to it

18. robinguarddriver

robinguarddriver New Member

I am the Conductor Driver on the shuttle on Sunday and have had a lot of paperwork to read supplied by GWR.
    One of those pieces of paper does state that it is booked for a green 150 BUT as you know things can change so lets leep our fingers crossed that Exeter can supply the unit that has been requested by GWR management.

Robin F.

19. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

The 813 Fund sales stand will be found at the Swindon Shed Williton over the Gala.
    I hope to be around the WSR on Sunday.......