If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 61994, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

If the fives are unassisted I'd like to do them. Not interested in doing FS if it has a diesel.

Reminds me of announcement on NWCE which started from Bristol. 'Sorry to announce that Flying Scotsman is unavaible (groans from many passengers) - but will be replaced by Duchess of Hamilton (cheers from gricers).

Does WCR have any operational steam heat stock or does everything now have to have a diesel for electric train heating?

If so can RTC make it clear which trips will have a diesel so I can avoid them and support their steam tours.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    WCRC has dual heat stock and just ETH stock. The diesel may be for ETH; it may be for other reasons or it may be for both. The tour operator will know a day or two beforehand. There is your dilemma.

3. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Haven't been out on WCRC stock lately but there was steam heat on the five WCMEs we did last year Sean. Don't think the rakes have changed so there should be no need for diesels.

4. Big Al

And the WCMEs that start from London need to be dual braked and heated to accommodate the different motive power. With a change over of locomotives at Carnforth there would have to be a compelling (and unusual) reason why a diesel was added to the rear of the train at the same time as a steam loco was put on the front.

5. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Mr Riley confirmed a week or so ago, that a diesel would be taken along with the Scotsman on it's first wcme.

6. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Has there (or will there be) any announcement of which locos are booked to do each of the other trips? I'm probably going to go on again and wouldn't mind a trip behind Royal Scot.

7. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Anyone heard if the Steam Railway supported 4 WCMEs for the price of 3 is going to be available in 2016?

8. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    86259 is dual braked, so no need to swap from air to vacuum or vice versa.

9. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

Oh dear god no, I want to see Scotsman attack Shap without a diesel giving her a shove up the rear as I and 4 others are booked onto January 23rd's WCME. With this being her first run on the mainline for a number of years I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC are waiting for her arrival at Carlisle as she was shown on BBC news recently undergoing final repainting and repair work before trials begin next month.

10. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

Sorry but January 23rd's trip has been sold out since Oct/Nov, there's currently a waiting list in place if there are any cancelations but it's highly unlikely that any will open up unless extra coaches are added.

11. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

She has just had the most comprehensive rebuild ever of a steam locomotive and this trip is for mileage accumulation, I'm afraid you would be very naive thinking this won't have diesel insurance with it. I am not a fan of diesels, but if the loco had an issue and sat down holding up 125mph pendolinos we would all be saying 'why didn't they take a diesel'.. You can't win really!

12. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

I Know there is that to bear in mind but im hoping that on the day although a diesel will likely be on the back that she's allowed to let her hair down on Shap without too much assistance as I want to hear the A3 hard at work on Shap's 1 in 75 gradient. There is the running in on the ELR to be done first followed by her loaded test run from Carnforth via Hellifield, Blackburn & Preston, but I am hoping though that the A3 isn't just shoved from the rear by a tin box for the whole trip. Should be quite a turnout on the day though as this will be the only railtour that she works while wearing wartime NE Black livery with her 103/502 numbers.

At present this will be the only railtour that I travel on behind Flying Scotsman as for most of 2016 she will be based down south and most tours that do work down the S&C wont have nearby boarding points.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Again very naive if you thing that she is going to be allowed to 'let her hair down'. After all the problems that have beset her over the last 10 odd years, it's not likely to produce anything near thrash. A steady controlled run is likely to be the order of the day, with a gentle hand on the regulator at all times...

14. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

I Know but I would love to hear her doing a bit of work, especially on the level sections. It's not like im saying she should attack the Lickey incline but I would love to see her working away (not too hard but producing a good soundtrack).

15. Big Al

But 86259 normally runs on air brake because it's the more efficient system. Each time I've been on the WCME, I recall we switched systems when we switched motive power.

RalphW likes this.
  16. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    It will still have to work hard on Shap, just not full whack. Hopefully the return over the S&C will see the Scot pull the majority of the train. If it was my engine it certainly wouldn't be heading over the Cumbrian Fellls as a curtain raiser, considering the amount of work it's had.

Moylesy98 likes this.
  17. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

I'm surprised that the NRM have allowed RTC to use her instead of waiting for her run in February (Shouldn't really be called her inaugural run if it's her 2nd railtour but it will be her first in BR Green). But Ian Riley has got care of the loco for the first 2 years to make sure she is right and looked after as the last thing you want is for someone who doesn't know what their doing to take control and then wreck her almost immediately. Ya best get a trip with her while you can because if I know the NRM they will say when her ticket is up that she's too old to go out or they will say they want to keep her original (when there's little original left on her, not even the nameplates).

18. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Nothing remains of the materials and components that deteriorated over a number of years and gave rise to some of the problems experienced.

The locomotive will have accumulated mileage before it takes to the National Network, running in and testing. It is worth noting that the load to be entrusted to the engine is quite modest by Gresley standards, so the need to work particularly hard to get the job done does not exist.

As Ian Riley writes, the diesel is an insurance and I am sure that he doesn't expect it to be needed, but to have it is the wise option. He is responsible for well being of the locomotive and for those on the excursion you have to accept that it will not be fully run in but that does not mean that you might not get little "tasters" during the course of the day as the capabilities of the engine are explored. It all depends on how well things went before the tour and how things are going on the day. Enjoy the day and look forward to steady improvements over subsequent excursions.

19. EltonRoad

EltonRoad New Member

Outward via S&C, return via Shap, according to RTC web site.

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Are you sure you're looking at the 23rd ex Man Vic and not the 30th ex Euston.