If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Why do you buy Steam Railway?

Discussion in 'Steam Railway' started by saltydog, Nov 18, 2010.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I buy it now and again but only if there is something that interests. The main irritation for me is that it is essentially tabloid in nature and can suffer from the besetting sin of tabloid journalism in seeking to be part of a story rather than merely reporting it.

As said previously, the internet plays an increasing part in rapid news dissemination and the popular railway press has to re-invent itself somewhat if it is to remain relevant (or solvent). Railway Magazine has done this rather more successfully IMHO, aided by its coverage of contemporary transport issues.

As an example RM ran a feature on the financial effect of the pre-Christmas snow on Santa train business. Without ramming things down its reader's throats, it demonstrated how dangerously reliant some operations have become on Santa business. Decent journalism in fact and the sort of apprach which needs to be copied.

P.H.

2. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    I'm struggling with Mr Streeter's arguments this month (or thinly disguised me me me). One article he's going on about wanting an A4 in garter blue, albeit with double chimney..... yet in another article he seems equally against an A3 in black with double chimney..... Ok so one or two A4s did have that combination, but come on! Anyone can see it's a continuation of Wilcock's monthly paint it green campaign

3. IKB

IKB Member

Why do I buy Steam Railway - I enjoy looking for the mistakes!!
    Mind you the fun is going out of it - the mistakes used to be hidden away in the text.
    Now they put them in the headings they're too easy to find.
    (for example latest issue 386 p 42: Pullman puchase helps Bluebell and 'Brighton Belle').

I also wonder about some of the pictures in the Gallery.
    They would be more at home in a Photography magazine.
    The photos in Glorious years may not be as good technically,
    (compared to the stuff taken with modern cameras),
    but I find them much more interesting.

While I'm having a gripe, something I find annoying is the repetition.
    We get a great article on the restoration of KEII, including info about the possible options to run at authentic height or reduced height for mainline working, then we get to p77 and what do we find, the same info in a seperate piece.

But I guess the intenion of the person who started this thread was to encourage positive feedback about the mag,
    so in the interest of balance, and hopfully to prevent the thread being locked,
    there are things I like about Steam Railway.
    The restoration of KEII, the up's and downs of the Purbeck line, and yes Mike Notley

Why do I buy the mag?
    I ask myself that every month when my wife moans about me 'spending all that money on a magazine'.
    I guess it could be just habit, but like all habits, they have their good sides as well as their bad ones.

4. philw2

philw2 Member

I buy Steam Railway because I am familiar with all the olde-worlde measurements they use like Chains, Gallons, Feet and Inches, PSI, Acres and even Thousandths of an Inch. In a recent issue however, I noticed CC's and Litres creeping into the text. If they ever start using Hectares, Newtons, Milimetres or even degrees Celcius, I will stop buying it.

However, just because I'm an old git doesn't mean they should make it difficult for the under sixties who were all educated in the metric system but I suppose they just key the imperial stuff into their conversion app. and they then understand it..

5. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Has that large piece of humble pie arrived yet? Dont think it went downhill like you expected.

To place on the record, Mortons management asked the editorial team what they wanted to do with the title.
    The request was for more pages, better paper, UV varnished cover and a website. The first three happened at once, with the January 2011 issue, the website was online 7 weeks after the start of life at Mortons.

Since the circulation has risen for every year under Mortons ownership, and with this February's ABC figures, makes SEVEN consecutive circulation rises, year-on-year. There's not many magazines can claim that in a declining market.

We're not perfect, won't and never profess to be, but the team work hard to give readers off-beat, informative and unusual features.

6. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I purchase this together with Heritage Railway but by subscription.
    Steam can get some wrong information at times but does have interesting news stories and photographs.
    Even adverts in these magazines are handy to keep me up to date with dates of galas, offers etc.

As it's half price on subscription (I buy one year get the next year free 26 issues for price of 13)
    Heritage Railway I enjoy more and works out at only £1.92 a copy delivered to your door, so you cannot complain on price either.

7. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    The best Christmas present you can get is a subscription to a magazine as it last for 12 months,I get SR HR and RM and they each have something different .So next time you are asked what you want for Christmas you know what to ask for.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    The Railway Magazine has improved a lot since the Mortons take over. It was clear IPC were not that bothered about the magazine - the paper quality was poor and there were hardly any free gifts or special supplements. Since Mortons have been the publishers the quality of the paper, printing and picture reproduction has been superb. (The increase in circulation certainly reflects this). The quality of the writing has always been good since I have been buying The RM from the early 1990's. I subscribe to both The RM and Heritage Railway as I find more of interest in these two mags than I do with Steam Railway which has become a shadow of it's self. I used to regularly read SR but gave up on it some years ago.

michaelh, flaman and RalphW like this.
  9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I now see SR are offering twenty four copies this month for the price of twelve if you subscribe this month. Which does seem like a good offer to me. There are lots of people that will knock SR but can they do better? For me it's a good read and I always look forward to buying the latest issue. It may not be that up to date with the latest news but no publication can keep up with the internet. But they can get some good scoops from time to time. Just look at this months scoop about 70000 Britanna masks raiding has 70025 Western Star for the MHR gala. Where Steam Railway does come in to it's own is when they do special features. For example this month is all about Churchward's Saints and the on going article RUNNINGFREE.

10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Had a look at SR in W.H. Smith's lending library today and put it back! This particular issue seemed to show it at its worst. Just like a red top tabloid there is this desire to be part of the story rather than just report it.

There are some good writers there but one has to wade through the self congratulatory guff to get to them. Couldn't be bothered I'm afraid.

P.H.

Neil_Scott, ragl and Swan Age like this.
  11. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Surely though the 'becoming part of the story' is also 'helping get something running next year' which might not otherwise happen? I'd say if I count up the O4, Truro, Cromwell, Dolgoch, Hamilton restreamlined, and the windcutters-I can stand a bit of self congratulating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    My view also. In addition to which, being restricted in it's subject matter to steam, I find it boring to the point of being tedious. There is, after all, a lot more to railway preservation than steam locos.
    I have a subscription to Railway Magazine and buy Heritage Railway every month. I find little to fault with either, though I fear that HR, in entering into direct competition with SR, risks losing the diversity which, IMO, makes it a more interesting magazine than SR.

green five and Swan Age like this.
  13. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I can understand your point of view but basically I subscribe to the opinion that "messages are for Western Union"!

P.H.

14. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

I can't say I know what that means. Is Western Union a diesel...? (Tongue firmly in cheek...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Can't remember the last time I bought a copy of Steam Patroniser; as for PH above, I'll flick through a copy at Sainsbury's occasionally, maybe linger on some of the photos - which are invariably well executed - and then quickly put it back!! As for reading it, well, as inferred in earlier posts, it does remind me very much of the those Red Top newspapers and dumbing down to that level is not enjoyable and definitely not worth paying good money for.

Oh how I miss Railway World and the excellent editorial management of the late, lamented Michael Harris, now that was quality journalism.

Cheers

Alan

green five and Thunderer008 like this.
  16. Tom J

Tom J New Member

I thought Western Union was a Class 52 diesel. Or the latest proposed name for 92214...

17. Learner

Learner New Member

I just can't seem to get on with Steam Railway. I flick through it in the newsagent but it just doesn't seem to have enough decent stories to justify a full magazine every month, and rather too self-congratulatory. Many railway magazines are in a similar position in that they focus on their particular interest (steam, diesel, rail history etc) and ultimately to fill copies they pad with articles of only very minor interest or over elaborate on particular subjects (many railway books are similar). The Railway Magazine is the only one I purchase as it covers the whole railway scene and does so in a manner that is comprehensive but somehow always interesting and engaging. No it doesn't have the exclusives that others have (although this month's about the forthcoming Mid-Norfolk Railway gala was an attention grabber) but for those of us with wider interests it fascinates every week, and I would agree that it has improved since the change in ownership. Not surprising that readership has been increasing.

michaelh, ragl and green five like this.
  18. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    To be honest, I detest the 'as first reported in..' from either magazine.

They now seem to go head to head every month.

I bought Heritage because it was more indepth than the Steam Sun, if they continue in adversity rather than reporting I shall get my info elsewhere

19. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

It's a difficult one this month, as a great Western man I am delighted that they are doing something to support the Saint.

However I do think that perhaps something to help Bowes may have been better to address something more pressing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

20. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    I took SR since the first issue, this year however its been priced out of my pocket along with my other regular mag Steam World, a mighty £8.40 a month for both. Now I wait a month or two and get em for £1 each. Much better price on a pensioners wages.