If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Why do you buy Steam Railway?

Discussion in 'Steam Railway' started by saltydog, Nov 18, 2010.

1. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Okay time for a bit of positive input.
    Why do you buy the Mag?
    The first thing I read is Mike Notley's Top Link report on the Mainline tours.
    Then I go through the mag to check up on what's happening with various ongoing projects be they mainline or preserved line.
    Things I don't bother with are World News and Model News. But each to his own.

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't buy it.

I can keep up with news via the web, I'm not interested in knowing that a locomotive was doing 29.9mph at Shap Summit and I have no interest in models.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Sadly I don't buy it either. Most of the news I already know and the article content generally is now a recovering of what has happened years before and has come round again . It's also quite an expensive indulgence that is very quickly read . As has been touched upon before the apparent bias towards certain lines is also somewhat off putting

4. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Personally I buy it as it does cover most elements of the preserved steam scene but it might now be a force of habit. Also as the interent where I live can be a bit unpredictable it is also handy to have something to read rather than to rely on the interent. Another reason I buy it is that I feel that SR is better than HR.

5. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    I've been taking SR since day 1, apart from a year or two with Steam World before SR bought it out. For me it's Mike Notley too, followed by any technical articles, though these have become fewer over recent years, and progress on restoration, new builds and extensions. I think there's too much trival news in it now, which can easily be gleaned from sites like this. And don't get me started on the paper quality. Iain

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    'Trivial news'. 'Sites like this one.' Come on, since when has this forum been a source of trivial news..:confused1:

OK don't answer that.:smile:

7. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I have not bought Steam Railway for around 4 years now for much the same reasons as Sidmouth but additionally because of the number of typos, deliberate mis quotes (Of which a group I was connected with suffered several) and poor spelling and grammar.

8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Steam to me is about the heart . I once upset Danny by suggesting that to my mind the best magazines are editied by those who live and breath steam , have steam in their veins and eat coal for breakfast . This is a wonderful past time and has provided me with countless hours of joy and allows us all to be very close to effectively our heroes and in a way I hope that the leading periodicals reflect that . I did upset Danny when i suggested that he didn't by the way !

I do quite like Mike Notley's piece particularly on a good run , but what I enjoy is when something is written from the footplate , convey the battle of men and machine against the railway . I guess i'm always looking for something new . Whilst it's nice to see established lines in print , in all honesty what is there new as such to write about . Whereas some of our newer schemes or even some of the sleeping giants awakening make fascinating reading

9. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    I read sr and hr and a few others in my local library but with all these cuts its under threat

10. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I've taken Steam Railway for the last 14 years and also Heritage Railway from day 1. I find they complement each other well and while Heritage Railway generally has much more in depth articles (their ongoing history of presevation has been excellent) Steam Railway is still much better for current events, news & especially mainline. Mike Notley is an essential read.

11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    I read SR for the overall coverage, as it includes information on areas that I follow generally but not into the full depth.

I usually skim read it, then go back to study some items in greater detail, over the next few days.

12. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    I too have bought SR since its inception, along with SW. Got to a bit of a habit I suppose. Keep meaning to stop buying both but never do. Mike Notleys feature is ok, but I wish he would not use mp's so much, surely place names, however obscure would identify where we actually are. Nice to see the return of Glorious Years and hope to see pics from little known togs, with perhaps some pics that are not technically perfect, even with a bit of blur. So many of us older types used box brownies capturing many unseen and unrepeatable events, how about a section of those in the mag. The mag is like an old friend, we meet every 4 weeks, have a good chinwag and wait for the next time. Here's hoping for a long life and many more issues.

13. stan the man

stan the man Member

It seems that more and more time is spent on finding the "perfect" shot, lets have steam as it really is warts and all.

I have bought every issue since launch but its not the mag is used to be (never the less still a good read though!)

Stan

14. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I get most magazines second-hand from my grandfather. I generally like Steam Railway, but I have noticed that when the editorial team gets things wrong, they seem to to subsequently fail to recify the problem. The one that really riled me was when it announced that the Brighton Atlantic group had been given all the money needed to finish the job off, when in fact, it was only in discussions over a legacy that had the potential to raise a substantial amount of money, but not necessarily enough to complete the project. However, the damage was done, and a few people cancelled their standing orders. There was no subsequent apology, apart from a half-hearted attempt to make amends by including an 'Atlantic News' column. I've also noticed that it tends to favour particular railways, but then again, this should not be surprising given who one of the previous editors is. One final criticism is the fact that there could be a bit more depth to it, such as including items of historical interest to give it all-round appeal.

15. 7911

7911 New Member

The main reason I buy it is for news of restorations and overhauls.
    I'm also in favour of the decision to bring back the guest photographer slot.

I buy it from the shops rather than via subscription, and will buy it when visiting a railway if possible as it gives me something to read on the train home - fewer direct trains from Liverpool these days so I need to keep occupied when waiting for the next connection. I know Stafford station quite well now!

16. chazw

chazw New Member

production fitter
    I buy it because I enjoy it, cover to cover...chaz

17. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    My dream job... reporter for steam railway...

18. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    I ve bought the mag since edition 1, but lately the quality for me is declining, its certainly not the mag it used to be, to be perfectly honest you can get updated info from websites like this one. The photos published in the Galley section now seem to be taken either against the light or in the dark, ok now and again but not every issue.Sorry but for me unless it bucks up i will be saving my brass and not bothering.

19. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Well Steam Railway is still damn good, far better than Heritage Railway.

And soon to go downhill is Railway Magazine now that Mortons own this as well as heritage Railway.

God help us for something impartial.

Chris:

20. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite - I've dropped all of them except SR - I get to find out what's going on and can catch up on it on the train to & from York.