If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR Superpower weekend 11-12 Sept

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by jamesd, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Careers advice all on one thread, the wonders of Nat Pres. First we have Banking and then Marriage Guidance. Great.

2. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Do you require health advice on the pros and cons of Purple Moose and Snowdonia Parc breweries products as well?

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

Does anyone Know which Train Time Tal Will Be Taking to Beddgelert on Saturday?

4. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    Taliesin - Yes...

lynton&barnstaple - Just promise SWMBO a weekend doing what she wants in exchange, you know it'll be worth it..!

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

Is it Possible You Can Tell Me Roger? - Please!

6. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You'll have to wait until you turn up at a station somewhere on the line before you're able to buy a timetable to find out which loco is on what train. Hopefully you won't have missed it. It's evidently top secret info.

7. laplace

laplace New Member

I think the point was that if people want to use this information to decide whether to come, or when to come (e.g. "I only want/can only afford to do one day, which has more of what I want?", or "arriving by 10am wouldn't be easy, will I miss much if I come later?"), they will want it before they leave home, not when they arrive.

8. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"SWMBO is only an add on surely?"

Sadly, I am disabled these days, so SWMBO has to come to help me or I just don't go!

9. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Having the event guide available via postal purchase would be good for those coming from far distances or can only spare a day. Other railways do this and it works out well. However in this case I know that timetables and other details have only just been organised, partly due to uncertainties as to what can and will do what and where to, so there has not be time to produce, print and post these this time. We may do better in future....for now £3 is hardly much more than a pint, so have one less and let our guys put on a good show. (Shame I wont be there, having just got back myself)

10. pingadam

pingadam New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What may be a good idea in future is, when the special event guide has been "finalised", have an electronic (e.g. PDF) version that can be purchased for download (or emailed to purchaser) using PayPal for payment. This could be for a bit less than the printed version (e.g. £2 for the electronic version, £3 for printed), as there are no printing or postage costs involved, although you would need to cover PayPal fees. The PDF could be password protected if necessary, to prevent those who haven't purchased it from using and spreading it. The purchaser can then print the PDF themselves. Just a possible idea.

Anyway, I hope the SuperPower event goes well (sadly I can't be there this time!).

11. Jark91

Jark91 Member

You're really rude all the time. Don't you represent the FR in some capacity? It strikes me as a pretty counter-productive way of talking to people.

12. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

I think Andrew is only rude quite a lot of the time... :)
    It does make one wonder, however, why the FR thinks he makes a good publicity person!

13. Idriverussell

Idriverussell New Member

I've heard it said that as the FR only pay peanuts, all can afford is a monkey:whip:

14. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I do not know the guy and I have not knowingly met him but he often seems to go for pythy short answers which I presume are meant to be "clever" or funny.

Unfortunatly they seem no to appear to come across to well on web forums and I am frequently left scratching by head.

15. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

While Andrew can sometimes be a little blunt when talking in a personal capacity on an enthusiast forum, i imagine i might be too with a similar 'day job'. If Andrew goes over the line in your opinion, drop him a PM or get in contact with a Mod and let them do their job - but hijacking a WHR thread to bitch about another member doesnt help anyone.

...now, can we get back on topic? Anyone with pics/vids/experiences of the first day?

CHris

16. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

:focus: Can we stick to the subject of the thread title as Christopher suggests please rather than trading insults?

Thanks, Neil.

17. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well I went today and had a good time. I got to beddgelert early so that I could get the timetable and sort out where I needed to be. Had a run with K1 fist thing whilst Lyd was being named. This has to be one of the quietest locos around, is that due to the compounding?

Fantastic to see Lyd working, it didn't seem to struggle too much on the gradients and seems a very smooth and free running loco. My final run was with Lyd and Taliesin from Beddgelert to Rhyd Ddu. Tal was doing mist if the work and talking to the driver later he said that it was flat out for much of the climb. Apparently 138 had a problem late on which delayed things slightly. Hope it's not too bad.

All in all a good day with some interesting workings and the passenger debut of Lyd. I still don't think the spotters guide is worth £2 but it didn't detract from the day too much.

18. dilbert2k

dilbert2k New Member

I can assure you Lyd was working hard too.... I was firing her.

A fractured blower pipe fixed early Sunday morning by the fitter at Dinas and 138 was in service as planned later that day.

19. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    I’ve just uploaded a new collection to my fotopic gallery - which, while entitled ‘Picture Desk - September 2010’, primarily covers the first day of - and preparations for - the Welsh Highland Railway ‘Super-Power’ Weekend.

Star of the Show, of course, was ‘Lyd’ - and the collection includes plenty of shots of this handsome loco in action in the Welsh mountains!

Those who were there will know that we were treated to a wide range of weather conditions, which is obviously reflected in the photographs. As a result some are of a lower standard than I would normally like to add to the gallery, but are included to try and provide a reasonable coverage of the weekend’s events.

I've also tried to add a bit of variety by including B&W (though they're not simply B&W...), sepia-toned and 'hand-tinted' style photographs in the collection - especially of 'Lyd' and the vintage carriages

Please Note: Colour saturation levels have not been increased in any of the photographs... [​IMG]

If things go according to plan (I should never say that) I should be able to add photographs from the second day of the ‘Super-Power’ weekend in the next couple of days.

So, please take a look - but only if you’re interested of course!

[​IMG]

Roger D