If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR General Discussion.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by triassic, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does there come a time to close this thread?

2. Lez Watson

Lez Watson New Member

Retired office worker
    One can only hope.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This may come as a total shock but it's not compulsory to read this or any
    other thread that doesn't appeal to you. Why read it if you don't like it or is that a concept that's too difficult to comprehend?

4. renovater

renovater Guest

I agree. Firstly, not every one is an WHR/FR supporter, secondly, this thread is obviously of great interest to people as it's fast approaching 24,000 views and thirdly a forum is judged by it's impartiality. If you don't like it don't read it !! Long may this thread continue.

5. Lez Watson

Lez Watson New Member

Retired office worker
    Isn't the reason this thread has outlived its usefulness contained in the title?

The WHR has a future (as does the WHHR), so get over it, close the thread, and move on.

6. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

That was always the case as unless the world is about to end the WHR is/was always going to have a future be it good, bad or indifferent. It may be why the topic has it gone a bit off topic as in my view it would have been better to debate what future do you see for the WHR or how would you like to to see the WHR develop in the future.

7. Lez Watson

Lez Watson New Member

Retired office worker
    My wish list is simple and short:

a) WHR/FR to complete the cross Porthmadog link and start services to Beddgelert asap (next year?);
    b) FR and WHHR to come to an amicable agreement over the museum's development;
    c) WHR and FR to agree and implement mutually beneficial timetables for services from Beddgelert to Tremadog Road and Beddgelert to Harbour Station (and on to Bleanau);
    d) all parties to continue the good work done so far and the development of more and better things for the public and enthusiast to enjoy; and
    e) the whingers and badmouthers shut the f**k up.

8. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    [standing ovation]

9. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Oh the irony.

10. 48DL

48DL Member

Lez for prez !!!!!!

11. triassic

triassic Member

I and I think most railway enthusiasts can agree with most of your wish list Lez. However the WHR is, I think, unique in railway preservation, hence the intense interest in the subject.
    What other railway can get anywhere near the story of its re-opening? We`ve had the bad feeling between WHR (64) in the early days, public enquiries, Cabinet Ministers, millionaire private backers, Millenium fund money, EU money, Welsh Assembley money, locos and track acquired from the other side of the world, Pete Waterman, Prince Charles, the longest heritage railway in the country, bankrupt builders just to mention a few of the highlights of the WHR story.
    Every member of this forum has indirectly contributed towards the cost of the regeneration of this railway and yet you`re not happy for us to talk about it, why? If it is through pure boredom don`t read it.

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

...because there is very little serious discussion about the WHR taking place, mainly just a couple of people with axe's to grind trying to stir things up at every opportunity?

Saying people shouldnt read it if it bores them is missing the point - the constant sniping doesnt do any good to a railways image; people see the 50+ pages, the arguing inside, and associate it with the line - regardless of the vast majority being trolling from one or two individuals.

In my eyes the best thing to do is to retire this thread, but if people have an actual topic to discuss then they can start another - as rennie's NWT thread showed, if the person involved is talking nonsense then they dont attract much interest, and if people start a new thread on old themes (like re-posting the TRA press release) they can be redirected and the thread locked before the trolling starts, the same arguments and counter-arguments get repeated yet again, and more drastic and time-consuming moderation becomes neccesary.

Chris

13. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Indeed. This has also become the defacto Welsh Highland Discussion Thread - only the title is wrong. Might I suggest it is changed to "Welsh Highland General Discussion" and kept open? Any future subjects which warrant a thread of their own - or being consigned to the ash pit - can then be split from this one.

14. renovater

renovater Guest

Hi Everyone. I don't like the WHR/FR but i don't have an axe to grind either. As far as i can see there has never been any trolling on this thread, neither have people talked nonsense allthough sometimes it has gone off course. My proposition for the NWT is serious, but even i know that it has little chance to come alive, but it is only a proposition and in such form it should be respected. I am personally determined that those who are against the WHR/FR should feel free to express their opinions without being attacked, as i and other's have been throughout this debate, this attitude confirms my idea that there is something very wrong somewhere with the WHR/FR. To be in disagreement with the WHR/FR is at the momment going against the current, but things are moving. This debate will continue in many forms because quite simply, there has been an moral injustice done and untill the large majority decide to rectify the situation, the problem will always be there and will probably get worse.

15. Marquis DeCarabas

Marquis DeCarabas New Member

A cad, a thief, a dandy and almost immortal
    (OK, I'll bite) These two phrases do not make good bedfellows.

Are you suggesting that the future of the WHR is merely 'addressing this moral injustice'?

What moral injustice: all I can think of is that perhaps in times past the legal position of land ownership wasn't explained fully to those who adjoin the land? I say that from the perspective of having many moons ago the husband of one of the ministers in Port as a lecturer in theological college. His wife's congregation were composed of farmers/landowners from the valley above Beddgelert - and in the course of after-service conversation there was much disquiet expressed about how the trackbed was being returned to railway use.

I understand that this issue has now been addressed.

16. renovater

renovater Guest

Hi. There is a big difference between having an axe to grind and a focal point in the debate. For the rest, with respect, you are a little off track, so to speak.

17. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    Two points to make

1 Totally agree with Lez' thoughts an d would add that I believe that if the WHHR and WHR/FR could get past these arguments then the whole could become greater than sum of the parts.

2. Many have complained about the NGG16'6 and NG15's being too big, OK they are much bigger than the normal but I think they help bridge the gap between Standard gauge and Narrow gauge.

Lot's of standard gauge enthusiasts have been caught up in the enthusiasm for the WHR I believe it fills a niche in between NG and SG long may it continue to do so.

Cheers Dave.

18. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

...and there you go again!

The WHR is doing better than anyone expected, the recent formal meeting with the WHHR was positive, and the future looks good. Simple!

Chris

19. renovater

renovater Guest

I'm afraid you are going to have to explain yourself better by the choice of ''there you go again''. Also i tend to disagree with your opinion over the recent meeting with the WHHR, where is the proof that it was positive and positive for who ? It was normal that the WHR should do well this year for the following three reasons. Firstly, 2009 was supposed to be the throughout opening year, so people had pre-planned their holidays around this date. Secondly, due again to the 2009 opening date, there had been increased media coverage. Lastly, there has been a 40 to 50% drop in britons going abroad this year due to the financial crisis, so in brief, more available tourists. The situation is anything but simple, the same for the future.

20. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I just love this:

Reno: "I don't like the WHR/FR but i don't have an axe to grind..."

The WHR has been - and continues to be - a runaway success. As Lez said, anyone who has a problem with this should STFU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.