If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Who has the biggest member......

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by domeyhead, Oct 28, 2011.

1. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

....ship count?
    I am a member of three railway preservation societies this year (I won't name them out of fear, but they all have green carriage sets)
    I reckon some people can beat that easily.
    Who can claim current membership of 5 societies to start the race going?

2. Looks like nobody's falling for that rather feeble attempt at fnarr fnarr humour, domeyhead

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't really see the point in wanting to belong to several preservation groups, surely much better to put all your effort, be it time or money, into one, than trying to spread around a number just to be able to say 'I'm a member of 10 groups'.:confused1:

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Im a member of just one, The LMS Patriot Project, as i haven't renewed my CVR membership. I will soon but i havent got spare money at the moment as it all goes on traveling expenses.

5. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I disagree with Ralph - because being a member is often the only way to learn what is occurring - espeically in the case of one or two well known preserved railways. SOmeone on another thtread asked about visitor numbers and as things stand the only way to obtain visitor statistics is to be a paid up member of the society in question.
    I give my £20 or whatever it is to a local society as my annual act of contribution and in return get a fairly good quality magazine 4 times a year so everyone gains.
    It seems no-one else's largesse exceeds mine so I win.

6. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

But Ralph for those of us without time to devote to physically helping in terms of restoration and operation, paying annual membership to offer financial support to many societies is what we can do to help the preservation movement. In that case it is better to be a member of many groups as possible I suppose.

7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Member of 3 Locos and 3 Rlys, also a shareholder in 1 of the rlys concerned so does that mean I win? :D

I too disagree with Ralph, I'm not a member of 6 Societies just so I can boast I'm a member of these groups. I've signed up because they are either groups that have impressed me and I want to be a part of or I just like the purpose the group serves and feel they are worthy of my money. It may only be £20 a year but at least I can say I've done a little bit to help the cause concerned.

8. Perhaps people join several for the same reason that others drive big cars. 'Member envy' anyone?

Oh God, I'm doing it now...:sorry:

9. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm a member of three railways and one locomotive group (not including non-railway societies)

I'm a member of the SVR because I volunteer there, I'm a member of the Northampton and Lamport Railway because I am involved in their Home Guard reenactment group, and I'm a member of the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway because I really think they're going places with decent organisation, and I once considered getting involved when it looked like I would be in the area on a regular basis. I donate regularly to the 82045 trust because I was considering it at the time of my Aunt's death, and rather than flowers it was suggested that we were all to donate to a charity of our choice. So when 82045 is running, it will to me be a memorial to my Aunt, who as a bit of a railway enthusiast herself on the sly I think will wholly approve.

10. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I know of one person who claims to be a member of 40 societies. I think they win. Mind boogling amount of post they must recieve! And no it is not me. I am a member of just 2.