If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Which locomotive would you most like to see return to steam?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by RASDV, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    All i am saying wouldnt it be nice to see say a set order in which ceratin locomotives that meet a set criteria e.g condition, cost, rarity, its palce in history , etc etc are overhauled restored fit to steam

Then as enthusiasts we know whats goings to steam next we can either support its return to steam or not or wait for what we want to see ( Lode star and Dean goods are my favourties with a soft spot for Cecil Rakes )

Now i did not mention new frames boilers etc but i think for a limited period say five years visite to certain railways and limited steamings carefully and cosideratly managed and monitored ......and then back into the museum

Keep it rare ,i do fell that porr old Truro has lost much of her wow factor

The idea that we are going to see Hardwicke or the midland compound back on the mainline with this is not what I had in mind .....

Can't see me or many others objecting to Lode Star having Mr Meanleys magic hands on her and doing a few Mainlline trips ....

But seriously its all about keeping the movement fresh and exciting the new builds are certainley doing that but i cant help feeling that there will be a time when we will start to think what hext

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

We are already thinking "what next".... Long before this thread started... ;-)

3. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

I look forward to seeing 'Agenoria' taking twelve Mk. 1s up Shap. :)

4. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Whilst there is no harm in daydreaming, we should look around us and be grateful for what we have. The NRM I think has done a good job of ensuring that its' locomotives are seen outside of th museaum, but their primary role is to preserve, and educate.

(Whilst on that subject, I really don't see how those objectives are best served by removing almost all the locomotives from the main hall at York. I went to steamtown in the US recently, and that is organised on the lines proposed for York, and frankly it is rubbish. I do trust the NRM to do a much better job, but even so I worry. Too many interesting museums have been destroyed by removal of the artifacts in the interests of interpretation and to some extent broadened appeal. These are considerations, but the balance is often struck to the detriment of the display of the exhibits themselves. Two examples would be the Science Museum in London and the Musuem of Science and Industry in Birmingham.)

The obscure and unusual may be a luxury we will not be able to afford as much in the future. To be honest if given the choice between spending £500k on restoring the stirling single or hardwicke (or any of a huge number of other interesting, but not very practical locomotives) or spending the money on a big shed to keep some more of what we have under cover, I would choose the shed.

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm firmly of the opinion that, if aloco can realisticlly be steamed, then it should be a candidate for so doing. The two John's (Coiley & Bellwood0 had the right idea. Nobodyy alive is likely to have seen and witnessed Cornwall at work so we don't really know what it was like. What is important for me is that the methods and materials should be the same as was originally done, rather than take shortcuts. Doing this perpetuates the traditional skills, helping keep them alive.

As for the argument that Lode Star is original ex Swindon, it's a load of rubbish. It had the asbestos removed a few years ago and to do that had lagging, etc removed and put back with the paintwork quite noticeably patched up. Any pretence to it being an original Swindon work has long since gone.

6. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Still think it should be something North Eastern as its the most overlooked area despite being where railways originated. Everyone seems to want to see some Southern engine, or a midland machine, but never does attention focus on the toil that engines worked in the north east of England proper.

For me, I'd like to see the J21 restored, even though its not part of the NRM collection, especially given the G5 project is doing well. I would love to see the pair together in steam 'up north', a lesson for all those elsewhere about what they are missing out on.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Why not build a new Cornwall, by studying the original ?

Everyone wins.. of course that means raising funds, but if enough people want it ?

So lets start by finishing the Bloomer ?

8. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Sounds good to me! Where are we going to fit OTMR and TPWS onto it though? :D

I think it only a matter of time before a group announces the construction of a locomotive of which there is an example extant with little hope of steaming, such as Cornwall, or perhaps the Dean Goods. A replica Dean Goods would have me signed up in a jiffy! Even better, build two chassis and have a 39xx. Anyone?

9. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

I was actually at Rainhill, still got piccys somewhere, but I couldn't remember if it was under its own steam. I do remember being passed by Hardwicke after the show and it was running like a sewing machine - beautiful!

10. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

I mean the set of parts that represented the loco in its 'as restored' state, of course. I'm perfectly aware - more so than most people - that few parts of a steam loco that has run for more than a few years are the ones that it started life with. But resto jobs like the E4 and Lode Star and others include what you might call 'genuine spares' as opposed to 'pattern parts', and are thus 'authentic' (for a certain value of authentic) in a way that locos restored over many years from Barry wrecks will not be.

This is no criticisim of those who restore Barry locos or keep in service anything else, we'd be equally daft if we insisted on everything being stuffed and mounted, but simply a plea to have at least some locos kept in a condition which represents a particular moment in time, rather than everything becoming a pastiche. Or, put another way, there is a case for museum pieces as well as working locos.

11. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Agreed. If I won the lottery (the Euro millions I guess it would have to be!) I'd have the whole family of GER types that the E4 is a part of built - F3, T19, maybe even a D27 2-2-2

12. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

its very intreging to think that York are looking at what to do next, so what engine is in best condition to be the next one to be a suitable cadidate if funding can be found , but look at the situation at present, there are probally more NRM owned engines now, or with in the next 2 years to be steaming than ever before who would have thought that Cheltenham would be restored? , i would like to see one of the smaller engines given a chance, and not for mainline use, but just for museum/ preserved railway use because they are going to be busy enough once 4472 is out and about .

And getting onto the OTMR/TPWS question, how long will it be before we get a self contained removable unit that can easily be swopped between locos , with just a reboot to match the locos parameters needed , imagine how much better that would be, just a set of attachment points would be needed on an engine and you just plug and play

13. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

How's about the Dean goods currently at swindon?

14. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    2500!! 2500!!!!! Pleeeeeeaassse! At the SVR!! Perfect loco for the job!

It is impressive how many NRM locos are out and about at the moment - and rolling stock. I don't know if what you suggest with the electronic safety equipment is possible, but it seems unlikely, especially with ERTMS looming on the horizon.

I've just been through the NRM's collection list. These are the NRM-owned steam locomotives that are currently in steam or under overhaul to steaming condition:

60103, 63601, 30850, TVR 28, 44027, 30587, 30925, 3717, Eustace Forth 0-4-0ST, 70013, 30777, 49395, 30120, King Feisal 0-6-0ST.

That's 14! two Eastern region, two LM region, two Industrial, one Great Western, one Taff Vale, one BR standard, and five Southern region!