If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

whats happened to the locos from dobwalls?

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by Dan Bennett, Apr 19, 2008.

1. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    WRONG!!

Sorry to disappoint all you Hampshire hogs trying to claim one of the South's miniature railway jewels as one of your own but the Moors Valley Railway is most definately just on the Dorset side of the border and the Country Park it is within is a joint venture between East Dorset District Council and the Forestry Commission. It may have a Ringwood postal address but it ain't in Ringwood, that is just one of Royal Mail's little idiosyncrosies.

So it's ours and hands off!

2. cheekylittlemonkey81

cheekylittlemonkey81 New Member

The Plowmans Railroad will be officially opening their new railroad on November 22nd. There are currently 2 steamers in service 'Big Boy' and 'Queen of Nebraska' (FEF1) as well as the diesel units.

An information page is on wikipedia...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plowman's_Railroad

A website is coming soon

3. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
  4. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

5. michaelw

michaelw New Member

Hi Guys,
    I can put your minds at rest, all of the loco's bar one ( the frelance one) has found a new home at the Plowmans garden centre at Hurn nr Christchurch Dorset, (right by the airport) they have at present some 2000 ft of track to run on and the site is being developed they were in a bit of a run down state upon arrival as sadly maintenance had been a bit neglected, however they are in operation bar 2 which are undergoing safety checks etc. If you are in the area you must look them up as the Bigboy in full steam HAS to be seen.
    The Loco's have been in regular use since November last I am told it si nice to see them all still together. Oh the freelance loco is now at Eastliegh or so I am led to believe.
    Mike,
    playing trains and loving it!

6. we knew that allreday!!

7. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Thankyou for clarifying michael :) Btw, can you provide any details on the future of this new line? One of the key attractions of Dobwalls was not only the large locos, but that they worked long trains up gradients - is this something that is, or will be seen at the new line?

Chris

8. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Is 488 now at Plowmans also then? I'd heard she was kept for sentinmental reasions but later sold sepertly and exported.

9. 48DL

48DL Member

I heard that it has gone 'down under'

10. michaelw

michaelw New Member

Hi,
    Further news from Plowmans! 488 AKA General Palmer was not purchased by Plowmans as this was in bits at Dobwalls requiring a new boiler. I understand that a new boiler has been made for it and that the kit of parts as it is at present is indeed going to OZ.
    As for the future, the current owner has got some interesting plans for the future which will include a tunnel and the like, at present they are awaiting approval of planning permission before the future plans can be implemented.
    Please bear in mind that money raised will be going to childrens charities as it has in the past when it was only a santa train that was operated at Christmas.
    If you would like to offer support then an email to planning@eastdorsetgov.uk quoting ref no 3/09/0/08 by the 25/04/09 would not go amiss stating why you feel it deserves to be given planning permission.
    Mike .

playing trains and loving it!

11. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

I would just like to say that I was very sad when Dobwalls closed. I had visited it often during the years normally with large groups of young children who all enjoyed the place. It is good to know that some of the locos have found good homes.

12. pioneer

pioneer New Member

It is understood that the retrospective planning permission for the track and structures associated with the railway was refused. The railway's owner has 28 days to appeal and in the meantime the railway will continue to run. If you would like to support the railway please contact East Dorset District Council as below.

Please quote Ref No 3/09/0/08/FUL and write to:-
    The Planning Department
    East Dorset District Council
    Furzehill
    Wimborne,
    Dorset BH21 4HN

the future of the plowmans railway is not looking good. its possible the dobwalls collection will be up for sale again

13. pioneer

pioneer New Member

It is regretted that due to unforseen circumstances the railway has ceased running - in the short term at least. In the event that matters are resolved this entry will be updated accordingly - wikipedia

14. cheekylittlemonkey81

cheekylittlemonkey81 New Member

15. Nelson

Nelson New Member

Have heard a tale that some of these loco could be appearing at the Great Dorset steam Fair. Can anyone confirm please?

16. peterbrynt

peterbrynt New Member

Plowmans unofficial website can be seen at: http://www.plowmansdobwallsrailroad.co.uk/ which is the best place to keep up-to-date with the latest news.

There should be one steam, and one diesel hauled train at the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

Thanks
    Peter

17. Charobin

Charobin Member

An article in the latest copy of Old Glory reveals the Dobwalls collection has been sold (again) and is being exported to Australia.

Charlie

18. Track_basher

Track_basher New Member

this is corect i live up the rode from the gardensenter that had got them thay wher shipt out in a contaner about 4 weeks a go the chap who had them had no ider wat he was doing he pad a millon ech i nely hit the flor when he told me thats mad bisnis fok for you

19. 46228

46228 New Member

Methinks you may have been wound-up there!!

20. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The £1 million price tag was the original request from Dobwalls. The offers received were below that, what they sold for to Australia for I don't know but Miniature Railway magazine indicates a considerably lower figure.