If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What should the NRM steam next?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by guard_jamie, Sep 3, 2011.

1. hussra

hussra New Member

I'm sure Anthony remembers very well the time he and I went for a ride behind a main-line compound 4-4-0 - and not the Midland one! Didn't quite reach our destination, mind.

Richard Huss

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

But wasn't it fun? I know where we'd have to go for crew training!

3. hussra

hussra New Member

Fun it was - still have the photo somewhere of you being rescued by the fire brigade.

4. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
  5. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

either the SE&CR D class, or the NER 4-4-0, preferably the latter.

6. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm really quite surprised by the number of people suggesting the return to steam of locomotives of which we have representatives out and about in use as it is - 34051, the M7, 5000...when there are so many wonderful unique locos in the collection surely your heart would be better stirred by such than just 'more of the same'? With the best will in the world, if you've seen Tangmere, or 92 Squadron, then you've seen exactly what Winston Churchill would look like out and about.

I do disagree with the poster who suggested 2500 should be a 'no' because of the presence of Fairburn and Std tanks - with it's 3rd cylinder and slightly different aesthetics the difference is subtle, admittedly, but present. Moreover it is just the sort of loco to be of real use in the present heritage scene.

7. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Arguably the M7 is the sort of loco to be of real use for the heritage scene as well, as anyone who has worked 53 recently will testify; small, economical, and will go like stink. There are key differences between the two existing ones as well, with 245 being a short-frame version, rather than the long-frame version in 53 at Swanage.

Anyhow, as the NRM's role is not to provide a 'toybox' for our heritage railways I still stick by my own preferences of the (completely impractical!) fireless and Aerolite though!

8. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'd like to see:
    if going for mainline & touring (& thus being able to recoup money) -
    1) Q1 - can't think of anything similar to her currently in steam
    2) Duchess of Hamilton - I know we have Coronations in steam, but with her streamlining she's more than different enough
    3) The Chinese KF7 - since BR012 104-6 & 231 K22 La France are no longer in steam in this country :-(
    if not going for mainline etc -
    1) Furness Railway 0-4-0 - 3
    2) Agenoria
    3) Gladstone

9. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    I don't find many of the obscure 4-4-0s or whatever very interesting or historically significant. Sadly the best of the pre-grouping engines were scrapped long before preservationists got involved (think of Dunalastair IIIs and IVs, NB Atlantics, George the Fifths, Claughtons etc) and we're left (with the exception of the Ivatt Atlantics and Lode Star) with lots of engines which aren't very important.

I'd much rather see 5000 steamed which tells the story of a type of engine that worked all over the country and brought a significant change in railway transport in rural areas while also changing one of the biggest railway companies in the world. It doesn't matter to me that there are 8-9 other Black 5s working at the moment but the NRM can still tell a story about their one that private owners group won't with theirs (because they're not a museum).

10. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    The difference is very subtle and to be quite frank what's the point - you're proposing restoration of a loco that looks very similar to others and has the very slight advantage of greater acceleration, there is little else to commend its restoration when there are more unique and interesting locos. And as to your second point of it being the 'sort of loco to be of real use to the present heratage sector' - WHAT! - the NRM is a museum not a resorce to plunder for preserved rlys and main line steam.

11. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Butler Henderson.

12. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Surely this could play in a factor in one of your yes locomotives then? Duchess of Hamilton.... Yes it now looks different but what can it offer over 6233 other than it's different appearance? Surely with the added weight it would mean there is a difference in performance? I would hardly class it as unique compared to the Star or Stanier tank as it's one of 3 survivors, just with added streamlining. At least 2500 is a different class to anything else we have left, and in my opinion doesn't look much like a BR 4MT tank....

My choice would be to see perhaps the GER E4, J17 or J69 run. Or for my southern interests, the D, M7 or Q1.

13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Unless things have changed, we should remember that the NRM has no budget for restoring locos to steam, so any that are have to be funded from external sources, whether that is the restoration costs, running costs or support staff costs. As they've already got quite a number of locos out there it would perhaps be surprising if there was a lot of enthusiasnm to add to that workload!

14. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    I would see most projects like the many that are already out there, namely a Loco being leased to an heritage railway for the life span of its ticket in connection with its restoration to steam, this is a tride and testing model and also more practical than trying to keep an old engine upto mainline standard, which requires a lot more work and dedication, and deep pocket when things go wrong. As such unless one of us win's a big euro lottery prize, then I suspect anything mainline after the money spent on Scotsman is none start for the forseable future.

15. SirTophamHatt

SirTophamHatt New Member

Keep Truro going!

16. guard_jamie

Signalman
    I agree entirely that the NRM is not simply a resource to plunder, and a loco from the NRM should in an ideal world not be steamed for purely business purposes. That being said, the usefulness of a loco is almost always a factor in whether it is overhauled or not, as it will almost always have to pay its way - and that is as true for NRM owned locos as privately owned and group owned ones.

I'd like to see 2500 in steam as can be seen from my first post in this thread. I think that it would be an attractive and useful engine. But I agree that these should not be the boxes the NRM should tick before deciding to steam a loco.

17. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

If that were so there would be a huge number of locos not running these days! Very few of them actually 'pay their way' - most are active due to a dedicated band of engineers who work for nothing (But the pleasure of seeing their machine in action) and likewise others who sell shares, man sales stalls etc etc or just put their hands in their pockets to help it all happen.

18. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

The OP asked for light hearted suggestions and in that spirit I nominate Gazelle, a loco which was probably built for fun and still raises a smile from anyone who sees it. The NRM could build a circular track inside the Great Hall (never mind about the smoke) so that it could go round and round and round - a bit like some of these threads. :eek:hwell:

19. guard_jamie

Signalman
    Excellent idea :D I should probably try to be a touch less hypocritical...

20. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I really, really like that idea. But I'd nominate Pet, the LNWR works shunter that is already in the NRM. They could have a short train ride from one end of the hall to the other! :)