If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What should the NRM steam next?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by guard_jamie, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Perhaps the answers to the thread run into two sub-threads, ie those engines who are suitable for mainline running and the rest. The problems for mainline running are that the engine has to have sufficient power to haul trains that are heavy enough to bring in an income for the tour operator and be in a livery that is a reasonable match for the available rolling stock. If the intention is for running on the preserved lines then the field is more open, but the engine still has to be a sufficiently big draw for the enthusiast community to make it worthwhile.

For mainline running then it has to be 'Hamilton', the others it must be the Dean Goods and the Stanier tank, but 'Evening Star' would be nice and the LYR 2-4-2T too. Personally, I would avoid mainline running, there are so many engines available for this activity that it would just take the market away from other loco owners who are having a struggle making ends meet as it is, and I don't think a subsidised museum should be offering competition to those loco owners. Of the rest, the Dean Goods would be the biggest draw, GW types always are, but I would like to see the Stanier 2-6-4T running.

Regards

2. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

I think the E4 (and probably the Buckjumper too) are in a similar sitiation to 251, that is they were restored to a very accuarate external appearance, but with disregard to the possibility of running again. It's always been my feeling that locos in that particular category should be left alone.

3. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    I understand there was a suggestion at one time in the 80's that the SVR might build one (they had a spare pannier boiler plus bits from 3612). Of course you have a Dean Goods boiler at Blaenavon! although perhaps you still need it for 9629. (nice to see it under cover now BTW)

Anyway, a Dean Goods would be a very attractive prospect as a replica build and there is also the prospect of matching stock to go with it i.e GWR 416 at Didcot plus others and GW 4 wheelers at Gwili (when we get round to finishing them!) etc.
    Regards
    Matt

4. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

I disagree with this. The repeat summer workings seemed to stretch the mainline fleet this year. It can't be good having a Black 5 hauling 12 over the S&C on a regular basis and it provides no margin for error on the day. There really did seem to be a need for another Pacific or two this summer, as even the Jubilee struggled on some workings last year. I suppose it would help if WCRC could settle their disagreements with the 71000 and 60163 groups, but I do think this summer showed that their is a shortage of big locos on the mainline. So, I do think there's room for 6229, and that's not just because I'd like to see it out and about.

5. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    The Rocket - on the main line - with airbrakes & full electrical doo-dahs

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Well said, (4)6229 & 4771 always saw plenty of use when they were available and would see similar again. I don't think there can be too many locos available for mainline use at the moment tbh! Mainline running also fits the museum's remit of making the locos available for viewing by as many people as possible, as well as enabling them to visit mainline connected heritage railways without risky road haulage.

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think LBSCR "Gladstone" is another one in that category - a lot of effort was expended by the Southern Railway (on behalf of the SLS) to return her to original Stroudley condition, but that included (as I recall) a fairly knackered Stroudley boiler in place of the better condition Marsh boiler she carried when withdrawn.

(Just looked it up: HJ Campbell Cornwall writes, in "William Stroudley - Crafstman of Steam:"

Oh well, not much chance of her steaming! Will have to win the euromillions...

Tom

8. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    :bounce:.........A double traction with Leader and Leander: quite a steamdream!!!
    (twinkle)regards
    noel

9. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Aerolite! A lovely engine that will suit many of the medium sized railways a treat.

10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

!!!!!!!!!!??????? Only the very flat ones that don't have very many passengers, I suspect!

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    True, but it would look wonderful hauling a teak inspection saloon. Ideal for the Bluebell's Autumn Colour trains.

Regards

12. stan the man

stan the man Member

The Stanier tank and the Buckjumper.

Stan

13. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Columbine. Cornwall. Hardwicke. And some matching coaches. What a line-up that would be...

1 person likes this.
  14. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Well, if you're going to steam all the LNWR locos, what about 'Pet' as well!

[​IMG]

Foxy

15. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

For me it would be 2500 stanier tank. Or Nsr tank engine for use one the cvr. In fact if what steam beano said about 2500 going mainline, it could work trains from stoke down to the churnet when the mainline connection is in. That would be a sight.

16. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Probably not the N.R.M's choice of railway to run it on, with their track record of looking after N.R.M. property.

Bob.

17. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Any of the 4-4-0s as long as they're in BR lined black!

Duch und weg!

18. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I wasn't wanting to steam all of them, just the main line tender engines. You missed 1439 too. The G2 has already steamed of course. And we could add 1054 to the lineup but it isn't an NRM engine.

For a railway which forms such a major part of the UK's national network and for which a good selection of locomotives are preserved, it is grossly under-represented in preservation particularly in terms of restored carriages. There doesn't seem to be a preserved line really fighting the LNWR's corner, which is a shame as there are three lines which could do so and it would be nice if one of them would take this on as a long-term aim. Imagine the impact of two rakes of LNWR stock trundling up and down with the above three (or four, or five) engines working turn and turn about.

Plus, two of my ancestors were LNWR employees so I have a bit of a soft spot for the LNWR. A Great-Great-Uncle (I think he was) reputedly drove 'Hardwicke'.

19. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

News to me that the National Collection has one of these stashed away somewhere!

20. tomparryharry

tomparryharry Member

Renewable Energy
    That'll be the one thats stashed away with the Great Western Granges & 47xx's. I thinks there's a LMS garrett in there as well...... Can't remember if I saw a V4...

Of course, I didn't actually see these locomotives, but my friend Sid down the pub did....

Ian