If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

what should the nrm restore next?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by seaham luke, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Are there any pre-nationalisation battery companies still about?

2. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

If my suggestion of the fireless didn't fire enough imaginations, how about "Gazelle"?

• A 'standard gauge' loco, so plenty of scope for touring preserved lines.
    • Ideally suited for smaller preservation centres, or as a novelty during galas for the larger railways to play with.
    • Not too big, yet still quirky enough to run the NRM's own two demonstration lines.
    • Small enough not to require a heavy haulage low loader (£££) for transport, so cheap to move about.
    • Shouldn't cost a small fortune to rebuild into working order, even if it does require extensive repair.
    • Ticks boxes for those who like 'pre-nationalisation'

...and if it was to 'go mainline', then I'd love to see it rattling around the triangle at Shrewsbury, or passing the site of Meole Brace station! ;)

andrewtoplis likes this.
  3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Gazelle would be great. It is probably the first standard-gauge locomotive ever built just for fun (see Col. Stephens Museum website for the full story), and still brings a smile to the faces of all who see her. In a previous thread I once suggested the NRM should build a circular track so that she can go round and round and round at a frighteningly high speed - e.g. 10mph. Wouldn't need a carriage - the same website says "up to six people could be accommodated in rather cramped and completely exposed conditions, two seated on either side and two standing".

4. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    I think Chloride and Oldham, possibily Exide although it might be American

Miff likes this.
  5. GK75029

GK75029 New Member

6. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Quite a lot of historic material would be lost if she were to be overhauled, and a replica of such a small and simple engine would probably be reasonably inexpensive.

7. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Not sure if i agree with this, there is very litle you could put in the museum in it's place, unless you want to retire no 3, or have the horse drawn coach from york, it would not be of any real use, other than as a play thing, whilst i dare say york could make use of it like they did the rocket replica on the demonstration line, it would not earn back what it would cost to repair it. if you want to restore a pre grouping engine look towards Hardwick, assuming her boiler is in repairable condition, there would be the option of hiring it out to suitable railways,

8. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

I think you did just agree with me. :)

'Gazelle' should stay where she is, but a working replica might be a nice thing for York or Shildon to have.

9. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i miss read, i missed the replica bit, i thought you were advocating restoring the original engine.
    It should be an easy one to build, after all, its there to take measurements from, and would look good piloting Marcia up t'bank .

10. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    There needs to be a replica of Gazelle. It could divide its time between York and Shildon giving footplate rides and driver experience days, while also travelling to the KESR (in the absence of the S&M the closest it has to a home) shuttling up and down, turning up at other galas being different, and it would be perfect for events where a short length of track is laid somewhere unusual. It's boiler is not much more complicated than that on a narrow gauge engine, its frames and bodywork could be built in the smallest of workshops, and once built it could easily travel on a small lorry.

Bramblewick likes this.
  11. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Surely now the question is what next but what to keep steaming. Really the NRM needs just a few ambassadors for its cause, with others funded from private donations etc should be money be there.

So, if thats the case, what 5 engines should the NRM keep in steam - meaning all others are there to be plinthed and conserved?

My suggestions would be:

1. Flying Scotsman
    2. Oliver Cromwell
    3. City of Truro
    4. LNWR Super-D
    5. Green Arrow

12. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Saw my favourite NRM loco in the workshop there today - LT&S Stanier 2-6-4T 2500, but given that there aren't any workshop staff now, I'm not hopeful of it returning to steam anytime soon. I'd love to be corrected though.

Dave