If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

what should the nrm restore next?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by seaham luke, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    York inside the building in South Yards near the toilets is it? Next to where 925 was at Rail Fest.

2. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

You were doing so well until you suggested taking perhaps the best looking locomotive in Britain and painting it plain black....

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

plain black , no fully lined out, or failing that SECR lined out passinger green.

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

That would explain it, apart from the loo's there was no public access in there when I went.

Normally I prefer BR livery as it's easier for that to "blend in" at most site, but in the case of the D, it would have to stay in Chatham livery, asthetically it's one of the prettiest engines around.

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

It was converted thus for working motor trains (i.e. push & pull). Amongst other things, the cylinders were lined down to 9". 82 wasn't the only one; 81 (by then renumbered as 681) was also converted, but with the cylinders only lined down to 12". Subsequently several other Terriers were converted for motor train working with reduced cylinder size (to this day, Stepney still carries her small cylinders, while Fenchurch has the larger than standard 14" ones from Newhaven Harbour days, hence the rather different haulage capacity of the two locos), though no others had the leading wheels swapped as on 681 and 82.

The two Terriers weren't the only locos on the 'Brighton that had their leading drivers removed. Two of the "Large Radials" (class E4, like the Bluebell's preserved B473) and twenty of the E5 radials were also converted into 2-4-2Ts by the simple measure of removing the front coupling rods; in those cases the wheels weren't swapped for smaller ones. It seems that DE Marsh, ex-Doncaster, didn't think much of front-coupled tank engines for mainline work, and wanted to design something that would place less stress on the track. The loss of adhesion meant they weren't a success though, and all twenty four locos (the two Terriers, two E4s and twenty E5s) were converted back to conventional form fairly quickly. The Terriers lasted longest in that form, where I suppose the loss of adhesion was of more minor consequence on account of only pulling single coaches on the motor trains.

Tom

6. Jamessquared

Would "blend in" as she is quite well down here!

I'm always disappointed at York that the Wainwright D is so tucked away and difficult to see clearly. I don't know why the NRM don't just bow down to the inevitabilty that the most elegant loco in the collection, in the most fabulous livery, should automatically take pride of place on the turntable where everyone can admire the wonder that was Edwardian Kent... ;-)

Tom

7. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Tucked away Tom? When did you last visit? :)

8. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hvae had the same problem with Boxhill. Been to York 4 times in the last year and a bit and like you said there was no public access each time so far although the first time I missed her because I didn't know where she was.

9. Jamessquared

Gosh - probably about four years ago (don't get up north very often now with young children in tow!). I seem to remember she was tucked down in the walkway that connected to the Station Hall, along with the Pullman coach.

Has she been moved since? (I sort of assume so by the question!)

Blurry photo attached...

Tom

DSC_0498.jpg

10. Anthony Coulls

Aha. Tucked away no more! When we created the Art Gallery, 737 and Topaz got moved to the Great Hall and are now on the road off the turntable where Mallard used to be - been there about 2-3 years now; so you come out of the subway, into the Great Hall to be met with the most glorious sight of Wainwright's finest. Apologies, I assumed that you'd been more recently.

Jamessquared likes this.
  11. Jamessquared

No apology required - I need to get out more! Maybe next year when Father-in-law comes over from NZ.

Now - speaking of Boxhill (and Waddon - see other thread) - now the "Great Gathering" has proved the concept, what chance of a "Terrier 150" event in 2022? ;-) Afterall, 28 tons of Terrier from Canada is a lot less shipping than 300 tons of A4 from Canada and the USA!

Tom

12. Anthony Coulls

a lot of people have mentioned a Terrierfest...

cav1975, gwalkeriow and Jamessquared like this.
  13. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

OK here's a pair for you. North Eastern M1 4-4-0 1621, which hasn't steamed since withdrawal and preservation by the LNER back in 1946 or so. And Great Northern Large Atlantic C1 4-4-2 251. OK 251 was steamed fleetingly in the fifties at the expense of the late Alan Peglar. Admittedly there were steaming problems, as the current machine is a "composite" machine put together at around the same time as 1621 when the pair were preserved. Basically it has a superheated boiler with the header and elements removed, which caused the steaming problems. So I'd complete the restoration by fitting a pair of new replacement "non-superheater" tubeplates front and back of boiler. What's more of the surviving GNR machines it's the only one not to have been steamed during the current preservation era [i.e since the rise of the majority of most preserved lines].

14. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Plus Waddon wouldn't need cosmetic restoration as it was only done a few years ago.

15. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    Coincidence or what? I finally make it to the NRM yesterday, walk into the great hall and am totally blown away by...................... IMG_1611a.jpg

16. LincsWolds60163

LincsWolds60163 New Member

It'd be nice to see LNWR No. 790 "Hardwicke" in working order, somehow it just doesn't seem right on static display.

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Some if us were lucky enough to see her working back in the 70s. A second bite at the cherry would be nice.

18. Anthony Coulls

Well folks...you know what to do...write the cheque...

Saying what "should" the NRM restore next is simply wishful thinking in the current climate where we have NO money available internally for anything like this I'm afraid. Private funding is necessary, and up front I'm sorry to say. No "we'd like to do this and have £27.50 and will raise the rest over 23 years" any more...

MarkinDurham likes this.
  19. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Presumably there is some kind of limit on this though?

20. Anthony Coulls

Try us...there's a world of difference between hypothetically on a forum and in the reality of talking to a funder.

MarkinDurham likes this.