If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What do you look for in a gala...?

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Lewisb06, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 37255

37255 Guest

You mean like this? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gwh5_2zi7Ik \:D/

Personally I think the odd run like this is part of the fun, providing it's not too regular...

2. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Gotta agree silly double heading is good in my opinion,only should be for the last train of the last day really think though,Swanage 03 or 4 with 34072 and 35027 was something special and with all the stock!!
    Another great from Swanage was 80104(or 80078 can't remember) pulling the last train back from Norden with Port Line along for the ride on the back,that made it work!!

3. Coal Sector

Coal Sector New Member

well T'n'T isnt so bad as long the loco on the back is dead weight making the lead loco work harder.

4. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Or simulate 'banking' with smaller loads by making the lead loco a dead weight?

For me a cyder/ale festival is great as theres not much better than cheap booze and trains.

But something I never tire of is shunting! Plenty of shunting is always a good sideshow. Classic vehicle festivals are also good.

5. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It was dead on the back,and i agree much better when they are as long as the leading loco isn't "Thrashed to death"

Cheers,
    Mark

6. Watchdog

Watchdog Member

I think for me it's got to be doing something which is going to capture the imagination of all the visitors in some slight way, but also promoting the heritage and past times of that particular railway!

Nowadays, I seem to find that the term "Gala" is used all too often; should a gala event be totally focused on its target audience or be more involved with the interests of the people who help run it?

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

2nd Valve !

8. Coal Sector

Coal Sector New Member

it also has it operational advantages.
    less time for the loco to run around....well it doesn't have to.....saves minutes meaning more trains per hour.
    it is also better for photographers...as long both locos face different directions.

only problem is its a bit of nightmare for Railway to get enough Crews in.

9. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Authenthic formations (no daft double headers)
    Freight trains
    Something a little different (dirty engines, names removed)

Based on the above I went to the GWR last year just to see 92203 on the ballast train in end of steam condition. Wouldn't have gone otherwise.

Also:

Early and late trains
    Beer tent and trade stands
    Photographic opportunities - East Lancs use to be great with early freights. Haven't been back since they stopped them

10. 37255

37255 Guest

Good point.

So based on the above people like to see filthy locos working hard? Sounds good to me! \:D/

11. Coal Sector

Coal Sector New Member

yeah dirty engines look good.

so have clean ones working on passenger and dirty ones on freight.

may seem daft.
    only clean half the engine lol.
    so one side dirty on side clean \:D/
    added interest

12. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

A gala involving three prairies would be good too much like a certain gala in devon this year!

13. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Dont think anyone one as mensioned "value for money"

Lots of engines, frieght, double heading & banking, extensive timetable and opertunities for photography but it as to be at the right price. Most galas I went to last year achived this for what they charged. The Middleton railway, im my opinion turned out a fanastic summer gala last year for what they charged, a couple of others were pretty poor in comparsion for value.

John

14. ahardy

ahardy Member

From the other side:

When planning our last gala, we thought about making sure customers got the most of the day. This included variety of locos and loco changes, freight and passenger, but as we ran a vac fitted train we could take passengers in the brakevan, thereby meaning no path was filled with a non passenger train. Non stop runs and double headers. On the day we also made sure that during locomotive changes locos were posed for photographers so they could get the most from the event. We also aloowed enough time for things to run slightly late, but not enough that there were gaps between trains. In the course of a two hour visit to our gala you could ride behind all the working fleet.

I think we achieved this and will try and build and better ourselves on this in the future.

Andy

15. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Steam and real ale... Winner.

16. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    A sensible timetable with recovery time built in

The chance to ride behind everything in a short timeframe to allow me to either photograph for the rest of the day or even take in something more family orientated in the area (depending on who is with me...)

Realistic combinations of locos and stock

Value for money

Roster/working timetable available in advance - if I am only interested in one or two things I can do something else for the rest of the day if they don't work until late on

Anything Stanier, Bulleid, Leeds built or English Electric!

17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    The opportunity for visitors to cab locomotives when they are awaiting slots in the timetable. The last SSS was good in that respect at Carrog, and I got to cab 34081, thanks to the very enthusiastic and approachable crew of the society that owns it. Also a locomotive in the bay platform at Winchcombe was another good idea, as I managed to cab 92203.

18. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

A special bus service to/from from the local Network Rail station if the railway doesn't have one on it's doorstep. (My pet subject!)
    Loads of Manors and Bulleids!

Cheers,

Paul