If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Weymouth Seaside Express', 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

And quite rightly as well.

2. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    Can we take it therefore that WCRC are not your favourite TOC? If so perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to why this is.

Drysdale likes this.
  3. Shed9C

Shed9C New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    579 minutes worth of delays.......if only they'd had Nunney on the front....:eek:

david1984 and Bifur01 like this.
  4. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

I just wish that if WCRC want to send steamers out without a diesel on the back, just they don't like doing normally, and especially one so prone to slipping the driver has to remember the best location to take his sandwiches out, then they should take the rap for messing the railway up (again)

5. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

I just wish that if WCRC want to send steamers out without a diesel on the back, just they don't like doing that normally, and especially one so prone to slipping the driver has to remember the best location to take his sandwiches out, then they should take the rap for messing the railway up (again)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Drysdale likes this.
  6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Never send a Bulleid to do a Castles job....

Seriously though, it's probably not the best itinery for this loco, certainly not on that load anyway, Tangmere has a history of disagreeing with banks when speed drops below a certain level.

Bifur01 and Shed9C like this.
  7. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    I hope you get a letter through your door from West Coast's solicitors with a summons after all your false constant slagging off & accusations against them.
    I don't know why you are on this forum? You certainly do not have a positive interest in steam at all, just the opposite in fact.

maureen and Drysdale like this.
  8. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

Thought you would be happy, no box on the back. And look what happens. Another shot in the foot for the steam Railtour movement.
    Bet all those punters who wanted a nice day out at the seaside will be queuing up for a repeat booking.

Be interested to see where 'all' these accusations of slagging off WCRC come from? Same place as me bribing the mods????!!!
    Just looking to start another argument so you can play the buseng victim card special aren't you?
    I wish that you could sue people for being whinging old fools......

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've seen '67 flatten this climb but not in the wet obviously.

10. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    I hope you get a letter through your door from West Coast's solicitors with a summons after all your false constant slagging off & accusations against them.
    I don't know why you are on this forum? You certainly do not have a positive interest in steam at all, just the opposite in fact.
    So what about when those Pendo things sit down for hours on the WCML because the knitting falls down or that springy thing on the roof throws a wobbler or the brakes decide to lock & won't release & finally their Windows system crashes & won't reboot?
    Even the Thunderbird loco can't move it.
    There was a recent case like this during the hot spell & the passengers were cocooned in the thing for hours with no opening windows plus failed air-con & stinky bogs to boot.
    Is there such a hoo-ha in these cases like there is for steam calling them to be banned, I think not somehow. Likewise will passengers refuse to travel on the WCML ever again?
    Yet again the answer is no.

11. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

To be fair to Buseng he made a valid point,and it sounded more like it was you that was whinging....

But can you outline what it is you think should happen? There should be no steam tours at all? They should always have a box on the back? Or only sometimes?

12. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

At least those passengers have access to a compensation scheme and no doubt a fleet of taxis were on hand at Euston to assist with onward journeys. Over 2 hours delay on one leg of a return ticket and you get 100% refund on the whole ticket.
    Can't see tour operators being so generous, even though what turns up on the day rarely looks like what was advertised at the point of booking.

13. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

Just run with a diesel on the back. Full stop.

14. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    If my memory serves me well, last Sunday was the first serious stall on Evershot since the WSE started running, and there have been none on Upwey. Putting it into perspective that's not bad considering the number of trains that have run. Tangmere only got close to a stall once before didn't it,? In 2012? Yes, 9 is a bit risky but probably necessary to keep the ticket prices at a reasonable level. Drop a carriage if the weather forecast is bad - odds are it would be sunny but it would be easier to restart the train.

Drysdale likes this.
  15. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

What,even stuff like the winter CME's which have never had diesel involvement and which have always had good value fares and thus filled well? Add on the cost of a diesel on all those trips and I should think the economics and viability would look a bit different.....

1020 Shireman likes this.
  16. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Personally I'd never travel on a "steam for show" railtour. But this has got way off thread yet again. It's the Weymouth Seaside Express folks. Any thoughts about next Sunday's train? Rostered loco the rebuilt Bullied Pacific...

17. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's not just WCRC. All operators have their bad days .....even First Great Western !!
    This is a report regarding two FGW overnight sleeper trains on the 6th August. Both failed en route.

''1A99 Penzance to Padd. Left Plymouth with a class 57 on each end just for good measure but one failed at Bathampton Junction. Decision was taken to reverse the train using the one on the back to return to Bristol and use the Rhubarb curve to get to the Badminton Line. Unfortunately the other loco then failed just after Bristol Parkway where (at 06:45) it sits awaiting assistance to be dragged back to the platform''.

''1C99 Padd - Penzance has failed at Whiteball Tunnel, will be dragged into Exeter.
    57310 is en route to assist to PZ. Loco through Slough light at 06.08am''.

S...t happens. <BJ>

Drysdale likes this.
  18. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I bet it's 5029 doing the bullying. :)

Drysdale likes this.
  19. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Personally I'd say knock the load down from 9 to 8 if 34067 is to be used on this itinary again, the loco upfront should be capable of restarting the train in all weathers, if dropping a coach is that critical to ticket prices then only have 34067 as a last resort choice of motive power and keep it for other itinaries, I really think ultra caution is needed with Tangmere now as another incident really gives the steam knockers some ammunition then.

Drysdale and mike1522 like this.
  20. Spamcan81

Training moles
    You sound just like a Desiro 450.

Drysdale likes this.