If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway Spring Steam Gala 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by West Somerset Wizard, Oct 12, 2012.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Still seems a con that they're charging gala fares for 2 return trips. That's not a gala! That's half the lowest service they operate.

2. It does seem a bit steep. Maybe if enough people write to the WSR (paul.gm@wsrail.net) they might reconsider and make fares standard on the 4160 trains on those two days. And 8/9 day gala rovers could still be valid on those two days...

Steve

3. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of the little joys of the last two Spring Galas for me (and I suspect a few others) was the shunting displays at Dunster (2011) and Washford (2012). All that clanking, squealing of wheels, clanging of buffers, and the hand signals and calls from the shunter, very evocative.

Any plans for similar displays this year?

4. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

178 has arrived at BL for the SSG, but the SVR say it's attending their SSG (over the same weekend!), whats going on?!

5. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

I emailed the WSR and recieved a reply that 178 is intended to be in use between 16th and 19th March

6. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question, but is 178 the Bluebell P class loco? I wasn't aware that it was heading West!

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I believe they are referring to an Autocoach.

8. mike redditch

mike redditch New Member

Is Pitchford Hall visiting the gala?

It is listed on the WSR advert in Heritage Railway however it is not listed on the websites.

Thanks

Mike

9. I am advised by the WSR Plc that the Gala page at Spring Steam Gala « West Somerset Railway shows the current position as far as the WSR Plc are concerned. That could change at any time of course.

Steve

10. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Ah, of course. Silly me! Thanks, Paul42!

11. Some disappointing news from the West Somerset Railway. SR 4-6-2 no 34046 Braunton will not attend the Spring Steam Gala as previously advertised due to delays in completion of mainline certification. However the Railway say it is hoped to find an alternative visiting locomotive to take its place.

Steve

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I wonder if any WC or BB are available, but then I imagine that's precisely the process SEPT are going through! The NYMR S15 would be nice.

Regards

13. YoungRailwayMan

YoungRailwayMan Member

Unemployed
    hey guys
    i was thinking if its a southern engine there looking for and i t would possibly a third visiting engine making its debut and the spring gala
    925 Cheltenham or 30120 or 34053 Sir Keith Park.

many thanks
    yrm

14. simonrtaylor

simonrtaylor New Member

Dont think Keith will be there as is required for svr gala the same weekend

15. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I don't know if Eddystone has been on the WSR before. Manston put in a great performance at the 2011 Fall gala I seem to recall.

16. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Eddystone was at the spring gala in 2009.

17. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I really like the thought of 825, 850 and 925, one of the 3 being selected. A good point to be made is that w/34007 and 35053 being at the Severn Valley railway that weekend, 1of those three would add to the variety of motive power out that weekend. Even the really interesting Southern 53 would make for a good choice.

18. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I wonder if 30120 could be diverted to the WSR on her way back to Bodmin after the MHR gala? She's hardly a straight replacement for Braunton, though. I'd guess her limit up Washford bank would be about 4 Mk1 coaches - that was usually enough on the slog up to Medstead in the 1980s!

Presumably, 34046 was going to be taking part from 17th March onwards, since she was rostered to pilot 34067 to Plymouth on 16th (and also haul a Cathedrals Express from Tonbridge to Worcester on Tue 19th). I wonder what will replace her on the mainline trip, and whether the same loco would then be able to visit the WSR too? 70000 or 70013 are the most likely mainline replacements. 70000 is due to visit the Bluebell the following week, but 70013 does not appear to have another booking until 6th April.

19. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

70000 and 70013 are advertised as being at the North Norfolk Railway for the Raising the Standard Gala on the 8 - 10 March & 16 - 17 March 2013.

20. malc

malc Part of the furniture

All the speculation here and in other similar threads highlights just how difficult it is for gala organisers to procure locos. It's very easy to sit at home and say such and such a loco would be nice, whilst overlooking said loco's other commitments and the cost and practicalities of bringing said loco to the railway.