If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway Spring Steam Gala 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by West Somerset Wizard, Oct 12, 2012.

WSR update on Facebook: "Spring Steam Gala Update for Saturday 23rd March 2013:

For operational reasons there will be no shunting at Dunster.

S160 Class 2-8-0 No 6046 replaces 3850 on the 09.45 departure from Minehead and 13.03 from Bishops Lydeard.

The Auto Shuttles from Minehead - Dunster & return may be late starting or may be unable to run depending on repair work to GWR 4575 Class 2-6-2T "small prairie" tank engine No 5542."

Steve
    WSR :: West Somerset Railway :: Pictures and News

1. cksteam

cksteam New Member

2. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Oh I totally agree, my main thought in the front coach was that it had power to spare so obviously didn't need to push. I'd just expected something different based on comments on here and listening to people at the WSR earlier in the week. Had really hoped to get to Cauldon Lowe in February but work changed and I had to be in Spain that weekend, will see what I can do in the future.

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The S160 was being driven quite tamely today, as were most of the locos. No need for theatrics with that timetable, plus the weather was foul. Some of the trains could've been warmer, but that was my only real gripe, other than the programme being on offer for £4. That seems pretty excessive to me.

5542 worked the goods this morning, but was failed at BL with a hot box apparently. 7828 was failed on shed at Minehead, so 3850 covered its turns. Quite entertaining, wondering what will be on the front of the next train! 4160 put in some good performances too.

4. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    7828 was back in action later in the afternoon, while 5542 was due to be repaired overnight. It had an overheating coupling rod bearing, The S160 will now be in passenger service on Saturday following numerous requests. The car which fell onto the track at Norton on Friday morning was removed with commendable alacrity, and the disruption to the Norton shuttle and loco turning operations lasted only an hour or so.

David

5. cksteam

cksteam New Member

6. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I've just got back from this excellent gala, unfortunately early because I picked up a chest infection. The weather was dreadfully cold, wet and windy Thurs and Fri and just cold on Saturday. It's been a long time since I went to a gala and left the camera in its bag, but that's where it was on Thurs and Fri, there wasn't the slightest chance I was going to risk it because it won't easily be replaced.

I went to the Helicopter Museum at Weston on Friday and well worthwhile it was too. Saturday found me on the railway first at Watchett on the bank with the S160 announcing itself with its chime whistle to my pleasure at least. Good to see it. Also good to see was 'Kilmersdon' in its new S&DJR livery and looking a very different shade to that applied to 88. I know that 88's version of prussian blue has faded but it was never that dark. Later the S160 was seen at Norvis Bridge and going at a heck of a pace, far faster than the 25mph limit, and making a good sound. The railmotor is just brilliant and again makes a good sound, but one which could come from Derby not Swindon!

For me the only fly in the ointment was the new water tower at MH. The combination of it and the wagon cuts down quite dramatically the area on the platform from which the turntable can be viewed and so this space gets very crowded. As there is a water tower already at the coaling area why does the station need two? A mistake I think.

It was clear that this gala was very badly attended with trains doing well if they were one third full. I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with it but the quite unnecessary competition from the SVR and the inept performance from SEPT in not initially programming the S160 for Saturday must also have had an effect. Hopefully the ASG on the theme of the Cambrian Railways will be better thought of and better attended; I've already booked my B&B.

Regards

8. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  9. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

May I ask when you think the SVR should have had their gala?

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    By all means. The SVR traditionally had their SSG on the first weekend of March. Everybody knew this and other railways stayed clear of that weekend. Last year the SVR moved their SSG to the fourth weekend of March where it clashed with the WSR's SSG which has been held on the third and fourth weekend of March for as long as I can remember. The result of this is that folk who are local to the SVR now miss the WSR's gala which has caused visitor numbers on the WSR to plummet.

I'll leave you to draw whatever conclusions you wish to make.

Regards

11. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Well, personally I think the first weekend in March is a bit early and if it had been, I wouldn't have been able to go to it. As it was we were hit by the snow and numbers were significantly down on all three days. I suspect that most people planning to go to the WSR living in Birmingham and north of it declined to do so purely on the weather.

12. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
  13. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

I personally don't see a problem. If people living local to the SVR want to visit the WSR gala then surely the solution is to attend on the first weekend, I live in Bristol and this is what I have done last year and this. I understand that this isn't always an option but if it is then I think it's one that should be taken. You can't please everyone with regards to when galas are and just have to decide which gala is more appealing!

14. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

It is a little disappointing that both the WSR and SVR spring galas clash. Both are arguably the biggest two western region heritage railways, and the 'catchment' area for both somewhat overlap. I notice that some people volunteer on both railways and I wonder how they feel about the galas clashing? It's easy to say go on the first weekend of the WSR gala and then the SVR the following weekend, but this is probably impractical for a lot of people as they may have other things going on.

For example last year I attended the SVR gala and WSR this year. This was down to the line ups more than anything, I thought the WSR line up last year was unappealing and the same with the SVR this year.

Going back to the WSR galas, it would be nice for both Saturday's to feature the non stop trains and I'd also like to see the return of a few services per day heading for Bishops Lydeard not calling at Stogumber again.

15. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    What do you have against the good people of Stogumber? It is quite a popular station.

John

16. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

Nothing, if anything it's better for them to see a few trains powering through, a bit of extra excitement and easy to get to for some people who don't want to go lineside but see trains at speed, plus I'm sure the train crews would prefer it! I noticed the SSG leaflet had three services to not stop at Stogumber on the Sundays, but in practice these did.

17. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Having been to galas before at the WSR where some trains didn't stop at all stations, my view is that for passengers - who, after all, pay for the event! - having non-stop trains is enormously frustrating, especially with a service that is only basically hourly or thereabouts. I can remember getting out at Washford one time thinking we'd have a little look round the museum and then pick up a later train, only to find we had nearly 2 hours to wait because we hadn't looked at the timetable in enough detail. Maybe that recreates the glory days of branchline services in the old days, but it is hardly conducive to good passenger service for someone who has paid handsomely for a ticket. For the sake of giving a linesider an easy opportunity to see a train at speed, I'd say - forget it. Providing a service for paying passengers is more important.

Tom

18. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Yes, very much so and it's not as though the line speed or the timetabled service is fast anyway. I caught the Hall on the non-stop at Norvis Bridge on Saturday while waiting for the S160 to go up the bank. The Hall was going down the bank with steam shut off/brakes on and I would doubt if it was doing more than 10mph. Also, and from the point of view of a videographer, I rely on the regularity of the service, with its regulated crossing points, to maximise the amount of footage I take. The non-stop was a pain in the neck!

Regards

19. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Hope I'm not too late to say thanks for the WSR's efforts over what was a bitterly cold weekend and especially in light of several problems with engines. The biggest regret for me was that 88 (another personal favourite) didn't run on the days I was there. I bagged the Railmotor and the Norton Fitzwarren line for the first time on the Sunday, can't wait to ride behind the Steam Multiple Unit at Llangollen in April. Finally got to see the fantastic Bath Green Park model at BL as well.

I'm sure that the SVR drew some people away but for me the main reason for the lower attendance this year was simply the bitter weather. I nearly cancelled my trip on the Friday given the BBC's forecast of Snowmageddon in the Midlands - as it was I got through pretty easily. All in all I'm glad I made the effort to come down and I'm already planning to do so again next year. Thanks to one and all.