If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sturdy footware yes, but overalls, just for a footplate ride?

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    £50 seems a bargain. The figure I quoted was off the top of my head but seems right for a return journey. There are plenty who will pay that price.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  3. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, it was a requirement.

Stef.

4. 6960 Raveningham Hall

Retired.
    Mine was a single journey, Minehead to Bishops Lydeard.

Stef.

5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Why not offer hire of boots/overalls?

Apart from anything else it means that there is no issues as to suitability

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

A most interesting post. Having read the various reports regarding the demise of Crossville Motors, which appeared at about the same time as Mr. Jones-Pratt found the time to accept the post of WSRA Chairman, I have to say that I found it odd that he was considered a fit person to hold this post, although I suppose it could be said that he probably has an acute awareness of the consequences of failure to comply with regulations. It would appear that with his appointment the WSR has jumped from the frying pan to the fire. It is especially interesting that the person who really should have known the railway was in difficulties, and must have had an important role in signing up 44422 and 6695, namely the GM, appears to have escaped any blame for the present situation.

7. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    ISTR that participants in the 'Railway Experience' days at KESR are offered free loan of overalls if they have not brought their own.

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  8. Steve

There is no need for overalls, only for the clothing to be suitable. The NYMR provide a suitable enginemans blue jacket for the trip, that's all.

9. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

From my vague recollection, didn't the whole previous storm in WSRA ultimately kick off because certain members thought that the Trustees were trying to compete with the PLC on the trackbed ownership?

I know that history repeats itself and all that, but not normally this quickly and with the same actors involved.

Talk about being able to start an argument in an empty room.......

10. 6960 Raveningham Hall

Retired.
    I can offer that service - very reasonable terms!

Stef.

11. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I find it very worrying that the WSR should try to stop its members and volunteers from posting on social media. That would be a red flag to me and I would be questioning whether I would want to be involved in that type of organisation. What does the WSR want to hide by stifling the opinions of it's members?

It reflects extremely badly on an organisation if it forgets (and/or seeks to control the opinion of) those who run its services, puts money in its bank and maintains its infrastructure in all weathers...

Keith

12. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

Dear Mike,

Thanks, yes it works. I note that Dr Turner suggests this may be the last UP Broad Gauge train. I think it
    could be the last UP scheduled passenger working but not the last UP train.

I do not have any GWR WTT for the period (the GWR is/was not my first love) but based on Bradshaw I assume the
    last Broad Gauge Penzance Paddington passenger working was the 10.00 am on Friday May 20 1892, due past Norton Fitzwarren c.
    5.30 pm. This photo may be this service. The consist seems appropriate.

The challenge for the previous four days had been to clear all Broad Gauge goods and mineral stock from
    west of Exeter ( so that none would be trapped after conversion of Broad Gauge track to narrow track ie where
    there was not mixed Gauge, efffectively Exeter to Falmouth plus branches and Chard to Taunton.)

On Friday the 20th all passenger stock was similarly removed to Swindon. This involved 14 special trains
    during the evening from Penzance, St Erth, Truro, Liskeard, Plymouth and Newton Abbott. The last such
    train was the 9.10 pm ex Penzance which left Exeter at 4.10 am on the Saturday morning and passed
    Norton Fitzwarren c. 5..15 am.

At each station this last train called at the travelling inspector had to ensure that no Broad Gauge
    vehicles remained at said station. He then authorised the 'engineers' to commence conversion.
    The 170 miles 63 chains (41- 75 was double track, the rest single) was converted in 31 hours.
    Amazing!

The last train would have been a mixture of stock, not the clerestories in the photo. Also, even in
    May, I doubt that a picture of this quality could have been obtained at that time of the day.

Michael Rowe

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. Faol

Faol Member

Any port in a storm
    Hi Andy,
    Seeing this letter from you makes me very sad. You have achieved so much and brought real advantages to the WSR in the widest sense of the words. However, there are one or two bits need slight adjustment. As you remember I was at the inaugural meeting of 4110 and a great supporter of seeing it remain. What you may also know is that I Chaired and facilitated the final meeting between GWR4110 Ltd, the WSRA and the WSR PLC. That was an exceedingly positive meeting with all present making the right decisions to keep the loco at the WSR. BUT, as you well know, Directors of a PLC are obliged to obtain the best possible price for any asset sold. The second bidder raised the price beyond where the GWR 4110 Ltd group and the WSRA combined to manage. The WSR PLC delayed making the decision to accommodate the fund raising but sadly it did not match the offered price. In that situation the PLC Directors had to accept the higher offer or risk be branded as incompetent and irresponsible if the PLC foundered financially. Now I may be joining you as a renegade for releasing information that is not in the public domain but it is difficult to read the endless letters on this thread which tryto allocate responsibility (blame) to the PLC or WSRA for the failure of the 4110 bid. It is simply not true and I was there. Everyone worked hard to find a way of securing the loco to the extent that many round the table were rapidly thinking about giving up some of there hard saved money to make it a success. However it was not meant to be.
    The shuffling about of locos is not for me to comment on but 2 you have mentioned are too heavy for the branch. The last meeting I sat in with ORR we were told that we would need to at quadruple our budgets for PW to lift the route from Blue (approx 20 tons) to red (approx 23 tons). You need to remember the wear rate of the track bed is directly proportional to the weight of the axles and the frequency of running. We run more trains than in BR days and locos sometimes with significant (greater than 10%) increase in axle weight. When 9Fs visit they have to run with their tenders no more than half full!
    Finally on a personal view (unsupported by anything official from the wider WSR) do not give up, this railway needs people with your drive, tenacity and vision and most of all a good business management. We both know where the rot is and we will eventually surgically remove it.
    Your Friend and Ally Ken D

14. 6960 Raveningham Hall

Retired.
    Yet could it be that an individual with a very senior position regularly posts on Nat Pres?

Stef.

15. Steve

Depends whether you are employed or not. Most companies have a social media policy, these days, which employees have to comply with. Volunteers are a bit different but slagging off the organisation you are volunteering for in public isn't necessarily the best idea.

alastair, malcolm imps and GWR4707 like this.
  16. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I would be inclined to agree with you, but they have possibly noted that much previous dirty laundry has been washed in public view on here with all sides being extremely forthright in their views, which lets be honest has not shown the railway in a remotely positive light sadly, ultimately if you cannot play nicely.

17. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Presumably they don't want to risk someone brushing against something hot while wearing nylon clothing (or something equally low melting point!) ;)

Steve likes this.
  18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Not 'slagging off' but disagreeing with policy? Seemed to work out OK for the GWSR over the Broadway canopy decision and the railway is still going strong.

Keith

19. Steve

If you are an employee it is not a god idea to disagree in public. If you are a director I think you have a duty to toe the corporate line.

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  20. Steve

That is indeed a prime consideration.