If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Ah! well, the usual heritage fudge can be relied upon. :D

paulhitch and 35B like this.
  2. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ian

I'll PM you about that.

3. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Yes - the one at the L&HR was never owned by the LMS, although it was built at Derby. My mistake, although strictly speaking it's not a Class 11 as it was never owned by BR. It turns out there's also a surviving example of the first LMS batch of diesel shunters (which also weren't part of Class 11, and were withdrawn before receiving a 1968 class number, but were very similar).

4. The news article on wsr.org.uk asks donors to use the email address at the foot of the news page, Tony.

Steve

5. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    It surprises me that so many people are discussing the lack of authenticity of the locos and rolling stock on offer for the 1940's weekend.
    Yet a locomotive masquerading for a considerable time as one of its long-lost stablemates causes no more than a raised eyebrow.

Stef.

The S160 caused disruption to the WSR timetable yet again today when the brakes reportedly locked on when approaching Williton. After a delay of about 30/40 minutes the service was able to continue to Minehead and then ran a service from MD to BL and back to MD with no apparent problems.

6. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

7. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    You are surely not suggesting that the signalmen be allowed access to the technicians sanctum of the locking room?

In my experience that would be 'break glass' access only, for fire fighting purposes only.

Keep the mops and brooms where the signalmen can see them and it will encourage their use. Given that a signalbox is like being in a greenhouse on a sunny day, the 'fan heater' is more likely to be a simple fan.

Forestpines and Jamessquared like this.
  8. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    At Worcester Shrub Hill the toilet is in the locking room

Not only that but when I visited (late 80's?) it was also a hard hat area so in theory you had to put a hard hat on every time you wanted to use it

9. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

10. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Superb addition to autumn gala.

granmaree likes this.
  11. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

8 Days to go before the 1940’s Weekend on the 15th & 16th September. The military freight train is being loaded at Minehead on Friday 14th and an increasing number of participants (now over 200) both military and civilian will be at various places along the line.

The military train will be we think the most authentic run in recent times. The S160, War Department and GWR wagons and WW2 military vehicles on flat wagons in a long train with uniformed re-enactors riding in a brake van to look after it.

Having had the trial run in March this time the train will include 2 1918 WD Rectanks and a Macaw carrying the vehicles so they will all be at one height and we are using black ratchet straps hidden as much as we can with hemp rope more visible to look like they are tied down the old fashioned way.

Before anybody mentions that the WD opens and WD Brake van are 1950’s built they are the same as the 1930’s-40’s WD versions. So from a photography aspect with our unspoilt backdrop along the line this is a chance to get some great photos of over 70 years ago (wartime photography restrictions will not apply).

Tickets are still available for the 1940’s dance under the Canopy on Minehead Platform on the Saturday night and there is other entertainment including singers and a film showing of ‘Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society’ in Watchet on the Friday night.

If you need to know more details please join the ‘West Somerset Railway Forties Weekend 2018’ Facebook page for full details.

The WSR is running a busy passenger train service and there are some extras such as the QB, Murder Mystery and a late night train on Saturday to take revellers to and from the dance as well so there will be lots of steam and the odd diesel over the weekend to come and see.

20180322_130833.jpg
    20180324_091233.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. Good to see more details of this event, Andy. Do you have the times of the "late night train" - and - can you tell us if ordinary passengers can use the QB and the MM trains (or are these for advance bookings only)?

Steve

13. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Hi Steve

The Saturday night dance train leaves BL at 18.35 all stations to MD and back 22.30 all stations to BL. This train is only for people coming to the dance and back so is not a normal passenger service. If you do not have dance tickets you will not be allowed on the train. Note these times could vary subject to confirmation from the WSR who will be confirming soon. Anybody can book dance and train tickets through the WSR on 01643 700406.

The QB & MM are the usual booking routes through the ticket office at Minehead or online (I believe) I don't know if they are fully booked at the moment or not.

14. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

The WD Brake van was built in 1942 http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=6981 Also what about taking the Name Plates of 6960 as, this engine didn't get its Name Plates until after the war ended and 1946 at the earliest. Yes I know I will be given a :Blackeye: but decide to be a :Vamp: and most likely get a :Banhappy: and told to :Muted: but to see you are doing your best to hide the unauthentic straps for the loads :Finger:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  15. OK understood. I'll wait for the Ops Notice. Thanks Andy.

Steve

16. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I am trying to find out whats on but there isnt a train timetable yet - assuming that it isnt whats on the WSR website

17. Steven Harris

Steven Harris New Member

18. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Colin Allcars likes this.
  19. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.