If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I would also suggest this lack of clarity on the apparent "miraculous financial turnaround" potentially damages every other heritage line that is calling for funds as it puts in to doubt the validity of the request in the first place.
    Of course maybe it just came from down the back of Sadiq Khan "magic money sofa" like the funds for TFL did.;)

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Discussion of topics raised on the roostery?

3. ghost

Best to just close down NP then.
    We have every right to discuss topics that are in the public eye (or should be), or railways that are acting strangely or appealing for money, and we have every right to discuss and scrutinise what has been said, the people involved and the railway involved.

I’m not sure how someone could get any kind of justice by making an appeal to the very same people who handed out the original ‘sentence’

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    21B, The Dainton Banker and MellishR like this.
  4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    There are I suggest two major issues hanging over the WSR that remain unaddressed.

Firstly how did they manage to achieve the financial turnaround?

Secondly there is the structure, as a PLC, rather than adopting the structure suggested by @Lineisclear which would both allow it to gain tax advantages and grant funding, at the same time as making the management accountable to the membership (Ok I appreciate the limitations of this part of the statement)

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2024
    Barrie Childs likes this.
  5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That first question presupposes that there has actually been a financial turnaround. We don't know whether the original claims of how much money was needed were accurate, nor whether the WSR really is now financially sound or running on borrowed time.

ghost likes this.
  6. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Are there? What would you suggest these ‘proper ways’ are? I’d be genuinely interested to know.

MellishR likes this.
  7. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    As you’re considered to be a respected and knowledgeable Barrister I’m surprised that you claim not to know.
    When potential clients approach you with a grievance do you suggest that they pursue their claim by making claims on social media?
    I think not.

8. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    I note that this is not an answer to the simple request to identify the ‘proper ways’ to which you referred so glibly.

There are no ‘proper ways’ for an excluded volunteer. Friday’s Roostery post will refer.

Robin

9. ghost

Seriously?
    Can you not just answer a straightforward question?

10. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    The answer is that there isnt one

11. MellishR

As has been pointed out, Robin is expert in such matters. If she could find no channel for addressing her concerns, that is strong evidence that no such channel exists.

12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

For some time now, the WSR has been fearful of people who say no, it started with the S&D Trust, and members of the WSRST, who argued that there was a need for change, That scared some who have a vested interest in things staying as they were, merging both support organisations, into one body, would have made the Plc accountable to its workforce, and not so much able to dictate to them, some could never allow that, it's all about, attaining control, and keeping it, that's why some want any discussion blocked, it keeps on casting a light into dark corners, allows questions to be asked, questions that might not be in the advantage of those in power to answer, Had there been a more open discussion, things need not have happened as it did, transparency need not be scary, unless of course, you have something you need to hide, and there's the whole unsavoury episode of vendettas against certain people, based on their clear hatred of people who are not like them, or as i suspect, they are scared that their lack of managerial knowledge comes to light, and that threat to their own little empire has to be stopped, and if they can get them kicked off the railway, so much better,

13. MellishR

All true, but it has all been said before, and the only sign of change is that peace appears to reign now; and that only because everyone who disagreed either left of their own accord or were thrown out.

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

15. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Ah yes - the riderless horse, and the three other ‘human’ characters accompanying Florence on the roundabout, who were rarely seen at any other time. Is this because they were dissenters - or was Florence just too much of a diva to be seen with them?

16. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Any process reaches an endpoint. That endpoint may involve termination.

There may well be legitimate questions about the conduct of the process in this case, and there are unanswered questions about the finances of the railway.

But, at some point, it may just be better for all to let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unslet, 1472, dinmore7820 and 6 others like this.
  17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

So true. No doubt there will be some people who may feel that they have been 'wronged' by the WSR or worse, they have strong evidence to suggest that the direction of travel of the WSR is different from originally envisaged. But as someone who has visited the railway many times over the years I have seen nothing to spoil my enjoyment of the day - other than the Hairy Dog poster at Minehead exactly where the railway's own Turntable Cafe should be advertised boldly...in my view!

So let it go and move on. A friend of mine was a regular footplate person at the MHR under a former regime. He did not like the direction of travel of the railway at the time so he left to work on the Bluebell. He let it go and moved on.

Mike West, 1472, Greenway and 5 others like this.
  18. Woof Mk2

Woof Mk2 Member

Am sure there are plenty of people at railways who would love to air their dirty washing and that probably involves many many railways.
    What they have probably done IMHO is moved on.
    Look at the lady from East Lancs and how she was treated.....she has moved on and now in a better place.
    So Robyn please just move on otherwise you might end up being classed as a bitter and twisted person.

dinmore7820, MattA, 1472 and 3 others like this.
  19. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    There’s a lot of truth spoken in the two posts above. I used to volunteer at Dingles Fairground Heritage Museum (soon to relocate out of West Devon). I became unhappy with some of the things which were said and done so I just walked away.

20. MellishR

The wellbeing of a person who has been wronged may or may not be improved if they can "move on". Some of them continue to pursue justice; vide the Post Office scandal. Whether or not moving on is best for them, it may encourage the wrongdoers to do the same or worse to other victims.