If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. 62440

62440 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Good one!

I agree, that decision looks wrong and it would be a good idea if an explanation was forthcoming.

2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The PLC is being consistent.

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've resurrected this post because the reply gives the answer to the conundrum that most posters from the Plc supporters side seem to be incapable of seeing. They keep asking "what could you do to turn the railway round". Here is my answer to the question of relieving pressure on the fares income.

The NYMR has completely replaced three bridges on its running line, as well as reinstating Pickering Station roof and building a new carriage stable, representing probably £15-20M of capital works in the last 10 years or so. The funding for these has not come from the Plc turnover but from grant awarding bodies, who are willing to award these sums because the controlling body is the MYMR Trust, not the Plc, and because the benefit that the railway brings to the surrounding area's economy is plain. It's the same with the SVR. The WSR Plc, if it really wants to save the line, should be working feverishly with the WSRA at least, perhaps the WSST although they frankly seem to be a lot less useful, to reset the WRS ownership structure so that it becomes eligible for grant support. But they probably will not do that till it is almost (or actually is) too late, due to egos and empires, as it would mean giving up the absolute power of the Plc and being answerable to a membership - and that is the real tragedy of the situation. They are fiddling whilst the railway crashes and burns around them.

4. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Given the previous behaviour of the Plc, wasn't it rather obvious that all the dirty tricks in the book would be employed and wasn't it to try and avert that that the whole thing was left until the last minute?
    It has been abundantly apparent to me that, since the 80s, the predominant ethical standard in the UK has been changing from "What ought I to do here" to "What can I get away with doing here". Playing by the rules is so last century.
    As to the "next move", I thought I'd already suggested that. Admittedly It's a few pages back by now.

jnc and patriarch like this.
  5. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

That does suggest that, like voting in general elections, most voters don't think, just vote how they have always voted. However, I am not sure that this was the case with the WSSRT. The failure of the campaign was not just down to errors in tactics, it was also down to errors in the errors in the incoming candidates case which allowed the incumbents to paint them as wanting to close the charity down or merge it with the WSRA, which came to the same thing, both of which left the existing members feeling that, by voting for the "10", they would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

6. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

So what's the problem? As you say, every year, some of the directors have to stand for re-election, therefore there are guaranteed vacancies for people to put themselves up for.

I said nothing about withholding labour, so why do you bring it up? All I suggested was that candidates announce their candidature in good time, as required by the articles. The Plc, as a result, may want to dispense with their labour, but that is a different kettle of fish.

7. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    You are right, of course, with hindsight. The list of untruths told about the 10; the misrepresentations made; and the policy breaches is a long one. It did serve to shine a bright light on that which may be of use in time if integrity ever becomes important again.

8. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

On a slightly different note ..
    A small group volunteers have decided to form a 'Wagon Group' at Minehead. A Facebook page has been started. Those who are not on/dislike FB I will endeavour to update NP. The first vehicle to be repainted is GWR 68765 'Toad' 20 Tons Goods Brake Van (GWR 813 Fund). I understand that the next vehicle will be The GWR 813 Funds Gunpowder Van.
    I have been informed that the other GWR Toad based on the WSR is going 'on loan'. This I find rather sad, as I find the last 20 pages regarding The WSR rather sad..

Nick
    GWR 813 Fund Trustee

9. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

This should be setting off not just warning bells, but sirens, hooters, church bells and foghorns to the WSRA.
    They should be going back to the Chairman/PLC (same thing these days it would seem), and saying no more money from us, no more loans, no more use of our carriages until x, y and z happens. But I imagine they will also be content to wait for some change to miraculously happen by itself.

10. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    MellishR and Piggy like this.
  11. daveb

daveb Member

Yes, but if the directors are standing for re-election and there are no unoccupied positions on the board, the probability is that the electorate (be they members, shareholders or whoever) will vote back in the current directors in preference to anyone new.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

don't worry @1472, @6960 Raveningham Hall , @Greenway @Maunsell907 @Steve Edge will soon be along to tell us all is well with the world , the ship isn't sinking , move along now , nothing to see , isn't the captain a wonderful chap , all you need to know is on the website - the official one ? no , the unofficial one ,move along , all is ok , fabulous railway , Buses , wonderful things, administrator , no absolutely not is he from the insolvency firm , Buses , wonderful chap , that scream , no not another volunteer being thrown overboard, its the somerset way you know , lovely , move along now

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  13. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

The only explanation I can think of is that particular questions are to be avoided at all costs. "Are you trading while technically insolvent ?" would be high on my list.

14. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

New role as a guided busway, anyone?

15. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Sustrans anybody?

Because unless some unheralded and very wealthy benefactor is going to magically appear who is prepared to fund the continuation of this long running pantomime, the collision with the buffer stops and beyond cannot be too far away.

16. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Aren’t Pantomime’s supposed to be fun though?
    I’d say what’s going on in Zummezet’z more of a farce.

Paul42 likes this.
  17. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Why, who's been caught with their trousers down then ? :)

Paul42 likes this.
  18. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

What, because the directors have been doing such a sterling job so far? By your reasoning, Donald Trump should still be President of the USA.

19. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Indeed it is, but those that continue to support it must enjoy it the way that it is and hence for them it is fun. Trouble is that it needs a big subsidy to allow their enjoyment to continue and those prepared to contribute to the subsidy pool are too few in number and appear to be getting fewer. But let us not have a dose of reality spoil the entertainment of others.

jnc likes this.
  20. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

I assumed, rather like Dr Who, he had just regenerated as J Biden....:)

jnc likes this.