If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

They could try holding all the management team, board and trustees meetings for the PLC and the various supporting bodies in the open, on the platform at Bishops Lidyeard. I reckon there'd be a queue of 'interested parties' from NatPres and beyond as far as the eye could see, looking to express their opinions. Massive moneyspinner right there.

;)

Simon

jnc, Kje7812, Pete Thornhill and 2 others like this.
  2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I suppose you could hold them on the QB. That trip could be a way to make it profitable…

ross and Greenway like this.
  3. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I thought bare knuckle boxing and cock fighting were banned.

4. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

In recent years several of the places which I have used in the past have closed down. This has had two effects:-
    1. Demand on the remainder has increased, meaning that it is even more difficult - if not impossible - to get a booking at short notice
    2. Very few, if any, now allow for 1-night stays, which rules out any 'go down on Sat morning, come back on Sun evening' short weekends (or even mid-week breaks).

5. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

The question is whether those bums on seats are actually profitable. You make valid suggestions for how to generate demand - but will the costs of generating that demand actually yield the additional income that would make them worthwhile? Thirty years ago, I'd always have stayed in B&Bs; now, with loyalty points in hand and some very keen pricing, I'll often stay in a chain hotel - hotels that simply weren't there back in the day.

I'm always very mindful on here that we are enthusiasts talking to other enthusiasts. Our families frequently don't share our passion; nor do the wider public. So while I'd probably plan my day in the same way as you, my family would insist on there being something in it for them. On the WSR, that would probably limit me to one out and back trip for the whole line, while (for example) the family alight at Washford and walk back to Watchet (keeping my daughter walking to the ice creams...). I wouldn't get any support for paying a premium for hired in traction, and it might even deter.

That's not to suggest cuts for the sake of cutting, but to support the point made by @Jamessquared that there will be a significant proportion of mileage on many railways that is neither "useful" nor remunerative. Any business needs to focus on weeding that bit of it's spending out; the challenge is doing so without cutting to the bone.

jnc, ghost, ross and 4 others like this.
  6. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Both those points my friend would come under sales and marketing, something those in charge at the moment don’t seem to grasp, (wasn’t the person in charge of marketing let go?)
    You can’t keep putting out the begging bowl and doing a Bob Geldof ‘just give us your money’
    The WSR has lost a lot of goodwill regarding the situation at Washford and various other activities (legal threats etc) with a hell of a lot of Enthusiasts, it really can’t expect to bang out the same tune and expect the same response again and again.

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What you describe the P & D as doing is little different to what most s0-called "heritage" lines do in practice. I can't think of any that are really "heritage"-focused, even the much-vaunted IoWSR , although the Bluebell comes closer than most and it at least does have documented plans to try harder in the future. Others on the other hand, seem to have no desire to increase the variety of their offering and I can think of at least one line that would prefer to reduce the variety there. Until we get people to accept that there is more to heritage than steam engines and the BR era claims of being "heritage-focused" will ring rather hollow.

Greenway and flying scotsman123 like this.
  8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

the unavoidable point here is sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate . If we look at this year SVR and MHR have run gala events both steam and diesel . Spa valley has bought an RBR and is looking at increasing its dining offering , my feed tonights shares details of gin trains and fawlty towers dining experiences . Polar express is expanding

Railways adapt their offering and look at how revenue is maximised event in this challenging times .

Can the WSR find a way of using its charms and assets to generate more revenue

9. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

I think that the Plc have lost the plot with this latest appeal. What I like to support, and I doubt I'm the only one, is a Project, let's say the refurbishment and refitting of a heritage building as a workshop, something that I can follow on the 'net with weekly updates and see how my money is being spent and maybe contribute some more when the inevitable snags rear their ugly heads. I can share in the sense of progress as everything comes together and I can feel that in some way, it is "my" project. Contributing to a general fund, OTOH, is like paying your taxes. You know some of it will be spent on things dear to your heart, but you also know you will have no idea where the majority is spent and will have a strong suspicion that a lot of it is being wasted or spent on something of which you disapprove.

10. Pete Thornhill

This is the thing, people like a project as it defines exactly where your money is going.

I’d also say that these days, the internet and social media have changed engagement between donator and appealer. It’s easier to engage with your audience, but equally expectations of that engagement via regular news updates etc is higher than ever.

The appeal is asking for a lot of money. Therefore, it needed to comprehensively explain what the money is going to be spent on, while also clarifying why so much is needed. It also needs to find a way to engage with the potential donators via the aforementioned channels.

@Sidmouth pointed out in business you have to speculate to accumulate. The same applies in marketing, particularly social media, you only get something back by putting something in. The same applies to the appeal, to succeed the railway needs to put something in by establishing that engagement.

11. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    We go back to my point of the person in charge of Marketing being dismissed…

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  12. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Speaking of the appeal, it's been 2 weeks since it launched now I think. Any news on how it's doing? In addition to @Bayard 's points above, another way of encouraging people to donate is to shout about how well the appeal is doing and to entice people to keep the momentum up, to be part of something that is succeeding. Since the initial launch I've seen zilch on any WSR social media that I've seen. For comparison, the SVR launched an appeal for repairs to their loco works at Bridgnorth not long before the WSR appeal and raised over £150,000 in a little more than a fortnight as I recall.

While checking wsr.org.uk in case I'd missed any fundraising news, I did note the latest WSRHT minutes. Potentially of interest is that Martin Brown, recently resigned Plc director, has been co-opted onto the board. That brings the total number up to 10 trustees. Apologies if that's old news, sometimes it's difficult to remember everything, especially when directors come and go with incredible speed in Somerset, revolving door boardrooms and all that!

13. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I was quite shocked when I noticed that there is absolutely no engagement with Facebook comments on their own page, it is surely the bare minimum to answer questions like "Do you allow dogs" and other simple queries like that.

14. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    It doesn’t take much does it?
    We get the odd message or phone call regarding work on what we’d call out of hours, we might not be able to reply straight away, but we’ll try to acknowledge it pretty soon.
    I would have thought this was pretty simple though.

5944 and MellishR like this.
  15. Pete Thornhill

To be honest, even employing a social media marketing company to manage it doesn’t cost a lot at all. You can get companies offering basic packages for around £100 a month. That engagement would probably be worth a lot more and the professionals would provide a base to work off for improving that engagement.

MellishR likes this.
  16. Piggy

Piggy Member

As he was H&S Director why did he feel moved to resign with less than two years in post ...... ?

MellishR likes this.
  17. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

Yes most appeals post a regular update of where the appeal is atAnd no option for gift aid very unusual. Doesn't come over as a particularly professional appeal

18. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    For us at work (4 employees) we maybe can get away with it! :)
    For one of Britain’s so called Premier railways lack of comms and marketing is something that seriously needs looking at.
    Dare I mention the likes of Mr Stratford and what the Mid Hants have done on YouTube again?
    I rather enjoyed this one in particular

19. Pete Thornhill

Yes, by coincidence I was thinking of mentioning the MHR effort. It is brilliantly put together, as is the SVR’s. There are plenty of examples the WSR could follow…

The Dainton Banker and Matt37401 like this.
  20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

SVR averages two posts a day , engaging , positive ones
    KWVR every 3 days or so
    Bluebell at least a post a day
    Swanage Daily posts , one that caught my eye is for the carriage shed

upload_2021-6-21_21-30-15.png

110 likes ,11 shares in 8 hours. Nicely targeted appeal , match funding as an incentive as well with a positive story to it

I then looked at one of the smaller lines , in Blaenavons heritage railway , guess what , yes at least daily posts

West Somerset June 7th , June 18th , no posts for 11 days

Free marketing tool with massive engagement potential is not being used to its potential by the WSR