If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

I would agree. I can see a possible market to bring passengers into MD to have dinner in the town and then a stroll on the sea front etc before going back to their B&B/hotel etc. I have less foresight of people wanting to set off from MD to go - where? Watchet? - or simply 'eat on the train'.

2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I’d have thought an evening trip from Minehead ought to work well, for those staying in the town. Not to go anywhere, but just for the ride and meal. The question is what level to pitch it at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MattA and MellishR like this.
  3. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I find it hard to imagine that the WSR Board would not have market researched the issue to death considering the potential market

4. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Whatever you can serve from a mobile roadside bar you should be able to serve from a train.

5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Looking at a few of the "muck trucks" I've encountered over the years, whether you'd necessarily want to is another matter entirely ;)

Paulthehitch likes this.
  6. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Surely the concern is that they haven’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MellishR, The Dainton Banker and jnc like this.
  7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

There’s loads of pop up street food these days, one of our local pubs has made quite a thing out of having a different one in the car park every week. Basically as long as you have space for their trailer nearby, I see no reason why that couldn’t transfer to being served on the train, especially if choices are pre-booked.

8. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    But isn't that how most railway's dining trains operate - people going for a ride combined with a meal on the train? On the NYMR, some passengers may get off to stretch their legs, watch the engine run round etc. on arrival at Pickering, but they don't normally disappear into the pub across the road! (At 9pm or so arrival time it's only the pubs that are open). On the other hand, in its early, pre-dining train, days the NYMR used to operate "Scenic Land Cruises" by DMU where (iirc) beer was available and perhaps sandwiches but what was sold was a train ride. I can't remember if it was cheaper than a daytime steam train ride or promoted as a different experience. On the NYMR there were occasional opportunities for unscheduled stops for wildlife-watching/spotting opportunities; if there are similar opportunities on the WSR perhaps they could be marketed as service differentiator.

9. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I find it hard to believe that they would be that incompetent.

10. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Indeed so. There are a couple of places I won't mention where I would only eat or drink products that are prepacked.

11. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I hope you’re right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I think @Bayard is suggesting something a little more classy like this https://pizza-mondo.co.uk/
    (Slightly biased I know these guys, but you get the idea)

13. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

The Swanage Railway appear to be able to do it with the Curry Nights on their dining set so it must be possible.

Will Foster likes this.
  14. Pete Thornhill

It’s actually not that hard from a catering point of view, no different to when you get a takeaway delivered, just on a larger scale. I put on several social events for a company with around 175 staff. When we did fish and chips I just picked them up in a work van, the chip shop was actually 10 miles away, they packed it appropriately and the food was still piping hot 25 minutes later when I dropped it off. It was the same with pizzas. We did also do burgers & bacon rolls but from somewhere closer, but again no issues. Basically, if the place you are getting the food from does delivery, they are geared up for it and the challenges it presents.

I’m sure @Spamcan81 could tell you about the practicalities given his experience.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  15. Pete Thornhill

Indeed, certainly when I was talking about street food at the local pub it wasn’t a butty van!

Off the top of my head, over the last few weeks on a Saturday night, they have had, Fish & Chips, Gourmet Burgers and American style barbecue, Indian, Mexican & also Caribbean which was last night. A world away from what I think Paul had in mind. (They have all be rated 5 star for hygiene too).

Matt37401 likes this.
  16. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Recent history, on a number of different points, might not be supportive of that view, sadly.

Noel

17. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Indeed, there are some places where I wouldn't stop unless I felt my immune system needed a workout. However this sort of thing has gone upmarket recently, as others have pointed out. Here is one local to me: https://cafemor.co.uk/

The Dainton Banker and Matt37401 like this.
  18. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Level crossing progress in evidence on WSR.org today with the arrival of the all important Relocatable Equipment Building

19. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

I have been contacted by the individual who would like the record to be clarified.

Message begins........

For the record I, as volunteer QB manager for WSR plc, and my wife (volunteer kitchen lead) resigned our roles in February 2018 during planning for the 2018 QB season. During peak seasons 2016 & 2017 we were each volunteering up to 30 to 35 hours per week, while attempting to also hold down part-time day jobs. The situation had become untenable for us so we had both verbally agreed to become minimum wage WSR plc part-time employees to cover about half of our QB working hours and continue to volunteer the other half. We had pledged to increase QB income by more than our wage costs, something we were confident of achieving by becoming solely focused on the QB. We attended Minehead to sign employment contracts, so we thought, but found the commercial manager back-peddling on the arrangement. At this point we were both working our notice at our regular jobs in anticipation of the WSR promise being fulfilled. In hindsight the arrangement might well have been cancelled later in 2018 as part of WSR's financial reform measures, so the disappointment at that time could instead have turned into a hiatus for us further down the line. The increased QB program then planned for 2018 potentially placed us in an impossible position so we felt we had no choice but to resign. There were other routine issues around marketing and administration at the time but these did not have the gravitas to be material to our decision to resign.

The generator car was a brilliant enhancement to the QB and of great benefit to the crew operationally, once the inevitable gremlins had been evicted. My only disappointment with the set-up, as I expressed on NatPres some years ago, is that flexibility of operation is diminished. Previously we could run the kitchen restaurant car as a single vehicle attachment at gala events. Now we have lost that option and are obliged to attach two heavy vehicles and service them both accordingly. This proved a stumbling block for both ourselves as QB crew and both operations and commercial departments need to maximize seating capacity at galas.

.........message ends

MellishR, Great Western, jnc and 5 others like this.
  20. Great Western

Great Western Member

I totally agree, Ive never met Robin but I put more faith in her knowledge and background that the Father of the Chairman basically trying to take the heat off his son.

What a total mess when you think the WSR drama and self destruct cant get any worse.....another chapter is opened!
    Will the railway see the half way point of the decade, I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2021