If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought one of the advantages put forward of the overarching charity model was the potential for collecting Gift Aid on fares; indeed, this was one of the reasons put forward by @Lineisclear for preferring a membership charity to be the owning organisation, rather than a membership non-charity.

If that reason is correct, then it seems that a considerable amount of money is being left to go begging by not proceeding with the reorganisation, and an amount which increases for every year that there is a delay. Most perplexing.

Tom

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    It was determined in the same way it was always determined - by estimating a volume of work, then calculating what it would cost if done by a partner at a Magic Circle firm, then multiplying.

It’s a scare tactic, designed to deflect serious questions and give a free pass to do nothing.

As for timing, there will never be a “good” time to restructure. But harnessing the energy of people who love the railway and want the best for it as they reopen would IMHO have been a great time to do it, despite the distraction it would cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

True, but realistically it is the WSR and I find it hard to believe that it could be done without there being another massive punch up.

Also, my recollection is that the version of Bailey that the PLC wanted to introduce was much more favourable to the current PLC than the version originally proposed. The version proposed by the PLC seemed deeply flawed. The WSR does need to reform but not flawed reform.

I don't think the board have the ability to manage major structural change and getting the railway running simultaneously.

4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Agreed on the board's version of Bailey, and you may well be right about structural change.

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I perceive a paradox. The WSR Board has been massively incompetent in running the railway and in its publicity, yet very clever at delaying and obfuscating anything to do with reorganisation.

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

for some time the future vision is the boards way and no other . There is a vision some of which has been much discussed that the last AGM put the wheels firmly in motion . I know many dream of fundamental and structural change but that is just that now, a dream . We have long standing incumbents with the most power than has been seen for some time

7. Woof Mk2

Woof Mk2 Member

All I would like to know is when is the WSR running trains . Want to use the line when in the Quantocks on holiday...

8. granmaree

granmaree Member

9. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

With the line closed for a long period and Covid restrictions continuing for a further period, together with a shorter journey until mid-season, the WSR needs to sort themselves out as they have been bailed out once but they may not get a second chance next winter.

Monkey Magic likes this.
  10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

many will have spotted CRF round 2 application was not successful . that may leave something of a hole in the financial planning for 2021 which given the precarious (albeit improved) state of finances will need careful management

11. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I'd suggest that they are two sides of the same coin. They are both underpinned by the desire of a few to hold onto power. If the latter were done successfully they could be held to account for the former.

35B likes this.
  12. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

One wonders about the relationships of cause and effect on the round 2 application given the way that the application processes for rounds 1 and 2 were described up thread.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

It would be interesting to know whether the WSR was the only line to be turned down for CRF2 funding. If it was that (to me at least) suggests a serious failure on the part of the WSR Board.

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

So out of interest I clicked on the link and there were the operating days. Great. However I found it very hard to get beyond the other stuff that, to be charitable, misleads the visitor.

First of all, the banner page shows a train hauled by 4160. That's interesting, I thought. I wonder what their list of locomotives looks like?

So I read the disclaimer about the fact that these are locos associated with the railway that might not be there or maybe are under overhaul. All under the title 'Some of our Locomotives'. The list then goes:

7828, 9351, 53808, Kilmersdon, 6960, 4561.

I don't know about you but here is a railway that has been dormant for ever and is now within a week or two of relaunching its trains. Yet it seems incapable of getting remotely close to saying what will really be available for running.

Maybe Jo Public isn't bothered. That's probably true. But it does surprise me that given the time available to get things right the WSR seems not to be bothered to even try.

15. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

No, the SVR was also turned down.

16. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Well, Joe Public will have the last say, I guess. They will patronise the line - or not, time will tell.

17. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Seems to me that the Board has sat on its collective butt for what, some 14 months isn't it? Done nothing about this (or about the level crossing) and now has the nerve to say we cant do anything because we are so busy getting the railway ready... So:-

Dear Board. If it wasn't for the likes of the volunteers doing their sterling work while you have just been pontificating about how good you are and begging for more funds, you would not have a railway to "...get ready".

All I see is yet another excuse, yet more clinging on to power for dear life and yet more carefully selected, so called, 'facts' to support twisted opinions.

So, dear Board, lets hear an answer to some of the questions above. Especially the details of the shareholdings of those that replied.

Your comment that "only 4.7% of shareholders replied" may be completely true (for a given value of 'true') but I seriously doubt it is the whole truth.

MellishR likes this.
  18. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    With a large dose of North Wales Narrow Gauge in the offing, a trip to Swanage seems infinitely more attractive than Williton, both are roughly the same distance from home but one appeals so much more for several reasons

19. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

SVR and WSR both limited Companies, albeit not for profit ?

Presumably successful applicants were charities ?

Viewed from an armchair I think an opportunity, during the Covid period, to form an overarching
    charity may have been missed but now the priorities must be to :

1) commence carefully operations ( no time for ‘busy fools’ ) ; every service must return a contribution
    net of all costs.

2) Fund raising, SOR. (Save our Railway.

3) Seek new volunteers.

I have no reason to believe these actions are not ongoing.

Michael Rowe

20. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think we all know what it takes to get past that kind of situation. However, as I said above, all the rest of us can do is quietly watch.

Noel