If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's surprising that the main heritage railways haven't worked out a common algorithm for the cost of operating as the factors that impinge on costs are pretty much common. That is why you soon come to the conclusion that the length of the WSR is a problem and whilst it doesn't have expensive bridges/viaducts it does have a trackbed that's not been attended to as much as necessary. And that's why operating just half the line can be seen as more cost effective than the whole line from the point of view of income. To be honest, I would have thought that all of the above easily 'trumps' the colour of the stations and how much copper each loco has.

It does appear through that the WSR may be starting to get its priorities right, probably brought about by a strong dose of common sense following a reality check, although I'm prepared to bet that this won't please everyone. However, sensible sized locomotives on manageable trains over the part of the line that brings in the most business seems to me like a good start and I wish them well over the coming months.

Miff, jnc, 26D_M and 1 other person like this.
  2. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

It would be a bit sad to see them not using the whole line - especially if they can't maintain it, and the un-maintained parts start to decay. (Although as long as it's left in place, it could be brought back into service later - goodness knows a lot of miles of heritage line have been put back into service, often starting with far less.) But if that's what the monetary numbers command, that's what has to happen.

Really, it all goes back to the falling ridership (and thus income) numbers, and failing to pay attention to that as priority one, and respond appropriately (whether by taking marketing steps to turn those numbers around, or making appropriate changes, as above, to cut costs). The diversions into the WSRA/PLC squabbles, and everything since in a similar vein (PLC internal disputes, and between members of the 'family') was just simply un-affordable. Hopefully there's a clear lesson here for the entire heritage rail world - just like the different, but fundamentally related one ('keep your eye on the ball') unfolding, sadly, at another line.

But I concur with your best wishes for the future for them. An entire branch line, perfectly preserved, through beautiful countryside; as I've said before, it deserves to be a jewel in the heritage crown - but it has to be worked for, it's not an entitlement.

Noel

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We discussed all this last year with regard to the WSR. Have people forgotten why the WSR didn't run trains? Nothing to do with the economics, more to do with the fact that they wouldn't have been allowed to. Whilst they are closed with no intention of running a service, the ORR won't/can't impose a prohibition notice. As soon as they advertise a service, the men from the ministry can put their bowler hats on and say no. The WSR had time to get their act together and dot a lot of 'i's' and cross a similar amount of 't's' which seemingly satisfied those men from the ministry to enable them to run trains later in the year.

4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Not quite my recollection, but I agree that the non-economic factors were also a major factor - and one that further undermines the "weren't they geniuses to draw down all those government funds to be closed" line of argument.

5. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

They were going to start running in March 2020 and pay their own way. Then covid hit and like every other railway they had to shut and the majority have survived on grants including similar size railways such as the SVR and NYMR.

Many other railways didn't run in 2020 or ran a very limited service. I don't see your point. There's pubs and restaurants that did not open despite being able to in the summer last year.

6. JBTEvans

They were going to run a service starting late March last year, they even had the NYMR 9F booked for the Spring Gala!

Do you want to revisit your post?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  7. JBTEvans

I don't need to provide a list. Loco groups are going to be looking for work after having next to nothing in 2020. Locos can be swapped etc. I even know of a railway that has turned down a loco that was offered to them as it was out of gauge in one platform which could have been avoided had the railway really wanted!

2019 they didn't even have 5 for the most part as 9351 came on just before the summer season, and 7752 saw limited use.

Last year the plan was to run the QB with the MD set so removes the need for an extra loco to be steamed compared to previous times.

8. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Don’t need to or aren’t able to?

A lot of railways didn’t open at all last year and so offered out their locos for hire instead. Eg. Bodmin. With more railways opening this year they are going to need their locos to run their own service, so won’t offer them out for hire. There are going to be less locos available for hire this year than last year.

YorkyLad likes this.
  9. JBTEvans

Railways won't be operating a full service, so probably will be carrying locos they don't really require if the chance comes to steam them elsewhere.

10. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but like I said likely still fewer available this year than last.

JBTEvans likes this.
  11. Downline

Downline New Member

You would see my point if you had some basic business understanding

12. Downline

Downline New Member

They were going to start running march, despite the numerous imcomplete track repairs that were only complete later in 2020, and the crossing at Minehead which was, and is still, not fit for purpose. So theres no need for Steve to revisit his post.

Perhaps you want to revisit some of the posts of 2020 instead?

13. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I think we established that, although it was known the crossing was on its last legs, it didn't actually cease to be safe to use until after lockdown was imposed. That is to say, if there hadn't been a lockdown, the WSR could have spent the first couple of weeks operating to Minehead before being in a very embarrassing spot. Lockdown covered a few blushes there. That's my recollection anyway.

malcolm imps and Downline like this.
  14. JBTEvans

They were still going to run a service, a railway doesn't need to be perfect to operate. No I don't want to revisit my posts, thanks.

15. JBTEvans

I do have business understanding.

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I doubt reduced mileage will automatically mean a glut of locos on the hire market. For many, particularly those that own their own locos or have very tight agreements with owning groups, it will instead be preferable to have reduced annual mileage, possibly including bringing forward some more protracted repairs (intermediate overhauls etc).

If you are a very small railway used to doing say 10,000 miles per year with one steam locomotive and one spare, cutting your annual mileage to 5,000 miles doesn't free up a loco - you still need one loco and one spare. It is only when you get to having perhaps three or four spares to run over your peak service (for example, a railway that genuinely needs three in service on a normal day doesn't really have any spares until it gets to about 7 available).

I know at least one major railway that has taken the opportunity to bring forward a major overhaul by three years given the predicted reduced annual mileage, rather than trying to hire out a notionally surplus loco. Most railways have probably been running a bit lean on motive power for several years, so will take the current changed circumstances as a chance to catch up on desirable, but non-essential, maintenance, rather than continue to run lean.

Tom

YorkyLad, 35B, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    No. A lot happened on the WSR between the start of lockdown and July. They made the right decision.

18. baldbazza

baldbazza New Member

IT geek
  19. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
  20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

One of the more considered responses from a government spokesman I think.

There's not much doubt that to introduce something meaningful between Taunton and Bishops Lydeard is the obvious starting point and with that could come, in the first instance, a timetabled connection with onward heritage trains. And once again the idea bumps up against previous 'rationalisation' of the national network at Norton Fitzwarren where you can only access the WSR from P2 at Taunton. Still, that's something that a decent government grant and a bit of new track work could sort out. Sadly the reinstatement of the missing line on the London side of the station might be too costly given all the technology that would also need to be moved.