If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I won't answer that question except to say that, as with this government, it's currently the only show in town. So you will reap what you sow (and fail to sow). Brexit anyone? - oops, wrong thread! :)

TseTT, Triumph 2500S and 35B like this.
  2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm not sure that just because some of these vehicles are 'rare' that this means that they should remain on the WSR. The WSR hasn't shown great enthusiasm for pre-BR carriages so perhaps most of these vehicles would be better off elsewhere? Do the 3 camping coaches provide enough income to cover maintenance? I think the WSR needs to be realistic - their main bread and butter passengers are tourists for which MK1 travel is acceptable and probably 'vintage' enough for the vast majority. If a 7 coach train was restored tomorrow, would the WSR be able to use it and charge enough for it to keep it in good order? That's why I think a short, more exclusive train could be a better option. Your idea of apprenticeships is a good one and I'm surprised it hasn't already been investigated/implemented (this could be done by the WSSRT).

Keith

jnc likes this.
  3. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

None of BA camping coaches are owned by any member of the WSR family anymore I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just my personal opinion that I'd rather the rarer ones not go away or even scrapped but perhaps if they'd stand a better chance of being restored maybe it would be a good thing!

jnc, ghost and flying scotsman123 like this.
  4. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Shades of the 4110 sale.

5. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

See attached extract from the WSR PLC Annual Report & Accounts for 2008 for an overview of the rail-grinding saga.

The WSR seems to have been "on a roll" in the mid-2000s. The rail-grinding affair was possibly the first major setback in a prolonged period of progress, followed of course by the national economic down-turn and then the onset of the era of feuding and infighting.

Attached Files:

6. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Historically there has not been much interest by the WSR in vintage coaches. However that changed when the WSSRT launched the heritage coach appeal. A concerted effort was made to source more GWR coaches and bring them to the WSR. 6705 came from the US, another from Bodmin, another from Tintern station as well as several others. Unfortunately now comes the task of restoring them.

Not sure about the other two, however one of the BA camping coaches is privately owned. Seemingly well looked after and does good business being rented out as a holiday home.

7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Apparently the "Trojan horse manoeuvre [WSSRT members standing for election] has been quashed": https://www.somersetcountygazette.c...ay-leaders-agree-stymie-charity-takeover-bid/

Have they somewhat jumped the gun and read more into Mr Bailey's report than is there, or do they know something we don't?

The comment at the bottom is interesting too. Fantasy of course, but inevitable that those kinds of comments will surface while all this continues.

Triumph 2500S and Forestpines like this.
  8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Which bit was fantasy? Reopening as part of the national network, or using ACAS?

9. flying scotsman123

I had in mind the former, I've no idea whether ACAS would be of any use!

10. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I suspect ACAS would rather spend their time on more resolvable issues like Brexit or peace in the Middle East.

Simon

11. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

The big difference between national and preserved railway politics is that on the national level the members/ shareholders (British citizens) have a guaranteed opportunity every 5 years to vote en masse about the direction they want the country to go in.
    At preserved railways, even the most democratic, member led railways; the candidates are pretty much “more of the same”.

12. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

The critical point in the timing would be the railway giving access to the site. You can't just say "Ok, you can have it next week for a fortnight..." Things don't work like that. Contractors have to have time to plan their workloads and get plant, materials and manpower lined up for the works. At the same time you are dealing with the finance department of a local council who's budgets may change from year to year depending on political pressure. Then they also have to liaise with Highways to get road closure licenses etc... I think the council have now accepted that they cannot justify delaying the works because of '...other budgetary requirements...' so the money should be made available (once they are told when it is needed...) Of course, each year it rolls on the contract has to be revised and prices re-negotiated due to the contractors costs for the Works increasing from the time of the initial tender bid (Tender bid prices are only valid for a limited time, delay too long & prices go up)

As far as I can see all the initial works have been done and everyone off the railway is ready to go. What they need now is the railway to give them confirmed access to the site in, say, 4 to 6 months time. That will let the contractors do all their preparatory works and line up all he necessary bits and pieces and also give the Council notice of roughly when the bill is going to arrive so I'd say it's all up to the railway to sort out when they will allow the access.

13. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    What is the early termination charge on the Sherings Yard lease?
    How easy is it to accress the Williton site to bring in and take out the commercial items of work? (e.g. Mk 1 coaches)
    Where do all the staff and volunteers at Williton park?
    Are there any long terms plans for the development of Williton?

Fixit likes this.
  14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

15. flying scotsman123

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the latter, but even that doesn't rule out the former too!

Edit - as a matter of interest I see that this is the "Most Read" story on the Somerset Gazette Website.

16. 60044

60044 Member

It looks to me as though a reporter reads this thread! I cannot see how John Bailey has any more power to intervene in this matter than I have (unless he is a WSST member, which I doubt). If the candidates have put themselves forward in the correct manner then it it down to the membership to choose, unless they withdraw voluntarily- or am I missing something?

17. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    I see nothing in the article to suggest anything other than having read the shared vision statement, the reporter has concluded that two plus two equals five.

Just because the three leaders have put their names to something doesn't mean it happens (or in this case fails to happen...) :)

18. flying scotsman123

That is indeed what I'm minded to conclude. Thought it worthy of attention anyway. @WSSRTcandidates may wish to correct the record however they see fit... :)

19. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

1. Indeed, it would be interesting to know. OTOH, the lease could be reassigned (sold).
    2. Road access looks very good, which is probably responsible for much of the cost of the site.
    3. Very expensive car parking! I am not sure where the northern boundary of Sherrings Yard runs, but finding parking for ten or so cars on WSR land can't be an insuperable problem.
    4. Any long term plans for Williton would be well advised not to include quite such an expensive piece of land.

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  20. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the three signatories to that document now appear to me to be three who are dead set against any change on the WSR

tom-bex, ross, Chufferpuff and 2 others like this.