If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Given the significant uncertainties about what the next few months might hold AND the location of the line, I suggest that while the idea of reopening simply from MD to BA is probably the most realistic, any plan that relied on generating income between now and next spring is unrealistic

2. Mike S

Mike S New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can't help but notice that you seem to be a relatively frequent poster on this thread with your opinion, so what's wrong with others 'going round the houses' as you put it if they see fit??!!

Bifur01, ghost and Paulthehitch like this.
  3. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Different railways will have different costs. As I point out before, I would say the SVR per mile is more expensive to maintain than the WSR. It's not as simple as they all need £75k per month. Swanage say they need £46k for example.

Forestpines likes this.
  4. Dennis John Brooks

Dennis John Brooks Member

Retired
    It's time the spineless WSSRT & WSRA packed their bags & shut up shop if they are not going to stand up against the PLC board, they'll be next outed. The PLC chairman will soon have his own railway.

DJB.

5. Roger Thompson

Roger Thompson Member

Retired
    Yet more fine words, but what are the chances of real and meaningful change? Or will the outcome simply be a few tweaks to the current structure, which anyone from outside the WSR family can see just isn't working?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

6. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    The costs stated have very little to do with infrastructure maintenance costs or the length of railway. I suspect that they have a great deal more to do with essential staff salaries, rental costs, loan payments, business rates, insurance and utilities costs.

Andy

gwalkeriow, jnc, Bluenosejohn and 2 others like this.
  7. andy19872019

andy19872019 New Member

A bit harsh that. Care to private message me to why you think this?

8. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

That was the point I was making. Nearly everything will cost different amounts for different lines. I was using infrastructure costs as an example.

malcolm imps and Thompson1706 like this.
  9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

In short, nothing and the right of everyone.......but for how many years is it? :rolleyes:

Matt37401 likes this.
  10. echap

echap New Member

Church Volunteer
    It gives me the impression that a different person wrote this compared to recent Plc statements. However, I still find that these statements from the Plc sort of lack enough passion for the fundraising part. Facts are being presented but it does not really appeal to me enough to want to give extra.

Ed

11. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Those are also all things that will vary wildly between different railways too, though, albeit not necessarily in proportion to line length

12. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    I absolutely agree with you. My previous post was trying to make the point that during the present shutdown period, infrastructure maintenance costs should be minimal.

Unless they are repairing flood or other essential accicdent damage, most heritage railways will choose to delay the normal expenditure on track renewals etc, until such time that the revenue stream restarts.

Andy

Forestpines likes this.
  13. Anne C-B

Anne C-B Member

Planning for a reopening in March 2021 is a worst case scenario that the railway must plan for. If they can survive until then there should be a long term future. If they can reopen earlier it's a bonus. It would be nice to think the railway will be able to operate earlier but will it be economic? Can the railway make a profit from a 25% capacity service? I doubt it.

Personally speaking I suspect many families will avoid the Santa specials.

14. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Does it really matter though? Surely it comes back to the old rule of 'if it annoys you/doesn't interest you then don't read it' It should also be remembered that new members could have a different take on things and positively contribute to the debate.

Keith

15. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Unfortunately I think @Big Al is the only mod who reads this thread, and so he doesn't really have that luxury! That said, given that we are currently on page one thousand, two hundred and ninety five, I think we've shown that calls to not bother posting if just to keep going round in circles are pretty fruitless, and merely add to the already enormous post count. In fact I rather suspect there's several dozen pages' worth of posts simply dealing with the matter of the circular nature of this thread and the relative merits of bothering to post here at all - including this one!! :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  16. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

As I see it, the problem with today's issued 'joint statement' by the WSR PLC/WSRA/WSSRT (dated 8th June) is it says very little of any substance. The first rule of 'press statements' is if you have nothing important to announce, don't issue a 'press statement'!

Seems like today's was a 'sop' and an attempt at ameliorating previous 'press statement' blunders/disasters such as the 'Position Statement' of the WSR PLC of 1st May - to reference but one of many since February this year.

Cheers,

Julian

Sunnieboy likes this.
  17. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Its good that the HRA Mediation/Arbitration has started.

Do we know if its arbitration or mediation and when we might expect the outcome

18. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

Hi John,

You will have to be patient and wait and see.

However, you will note (as others have noted) that the issue of S&D loco '88' is not mentioned in todays' 'Joint Statement' dated yesterday. When you look at the accounts and their adjustments as at Companies House, and the delayed last set of accounts as registered some of us can draw certain conclusions or apply a bit of nuanced conjecture. Others have already hinted at this or stated it outright on here. (And with none of the temporary suspension I was subjected to).

The impending overhaul of S&D loco '88' via it's contract with the WSR PLC requires costs that are significant and imminent. It ought to be shown in the accounts, but I take the view it was not in the last set of delayed published accounts registered with Companies House.

There was quite a 'sleight of hand' over the last set of delayed published accounts, and much comment recently on the startling "profit" claimed by the WSR PLC board for March this year (as again others have already hinted at this or stated it outright on here).

When I look currently at the Talyllyn or the Ffestiniog or the IOWSR, or Swanage, and many others, I am pretty certain I am getting an honest view of the challenges faced.

None of these involve a 'Notice to Evict', running out, of a "family" member of some 45 years, or a significant dispute over a loco the same SDRT owns.

Cheers,

Julian

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I share many of those concerns. I also note that a mediation process is underway and, similar to my views on divorce, wish it to succeed and restore relations rather than progress towards litigation. I suggest we give cautious credit to all parties for willingness to enter that process, and keep our fingers crossed for a result that works for all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Maverick

Maverick New Member

The Petition http://chng.it/pDnhNvw9 is still active and going well.

We are almost at 300 signatures, with an ever increasing number of volunteers signing up during the day yesterday, suggesting the release from the railway has only proven to support our petition.

Whilst the statement dated the 8th June appears to show some form of co-operation and states the PDG will be recalled we are still concerned that the organisational review and notice to quit elements have not been resolved. As such the petition remains live. Please continue to spread the word across the community!

We are reminded of a quote from Winston Churchill: Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.