If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But he keeps saying that "I am not the Fat Controller"

5944 and Steve like this.
  2. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Let's go with both, what where, type and how they have changed by time :)

3. echap

echap New Member

Church Volunteer
    I know the WSR has had its ups and downs, so I have given it a lot of thought and I finally know how to solve all your problems with one inclusive plan. It really is quite simple, benefits the whole railway family and all you have to do is

4. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Which is only correct and proper - the Fat Controller only had that job title after the railways of Sodor were nationalised. Before then (in the first three or four books published) he was the Fat Director.

ross, Wenlock, Monkey Magic and 2 others like this.
  5. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    A little light relief. The West Somerset Railway Spring Gala was due to have started today, 23rd April. Here’s a 10 minute video of a ‘what could have been’ West Somerset Railway 2020 Spring Gala. The gala was to have had a BR Standards theme. The visiting Standards were due to have been 76084, 78018 and 92134. My video has previous visits by 76017, 78018 and 92214, with some double heading with 53808.

6. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Would you consider producing something for WSR-TV?

Please PM to discuss.

Robin

malcolm imps likes this.
  7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Why am I reminded of Jim Bowen on Bullseye 'let's have a look at what you could have won'

ross and echap like this.
  8. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    A great compilation Keith, and a timely reminder to those of us who truly love our railway
    of what we risk losing if we don’t all dig deep.

9. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Previous posts on Nat Pres mentioned the Partnership Development Group and the lack of meetings for over 18 months. I agree that this group is vital to the future of the West Somerset Railway and should meet as soon as possible (even virtually if needed) not only to discuss the potential COVID-19 implications but also the SDJR eviction. This needs to include ALL stakeholders of the WSR.

I was interested to find out if any conversations had been had with Somerset County Council (SCC) since the last meeting of the PDG so used the freely avaliable FOI route. The request can be found here: https://somersetportal.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=D3953409&db=yQRHFiDuy2AqEiLB1AgrlQ==&auth=2001&csrfhash=uhDHR0960MQ5FvnFd007WMGQyMC8k4bEBaRmc0r88kdDp4Cl5fZtN9tLrTN0YFm0ebUAS32Ulgp4lxHeIVyChnElKfpPCMHqCKMyUjUwz6C9-VgYFSVdeWzRvzc2QAVS.pGjZWA8e133SJjS3kZYQRw==~!

As many are aware in the February 2017, the PLC signed an agreement to ‘protect’ the freehold for the railway. (Info available here: http://www.wsr.org.uk/stakeholderfeb2017.pdf) This required SCC to offer the freehold to the railway family via the PDG requiring the following
    1. PDG to recommend a suitable bidder, bidders or new vehicle
    2. Endorsement by hra as industry peer body &
    3. ORR as regulator
    This ensured a triple lock to ensure the freehold stays within the WSR family.

Attatched is the FULL response from SCC. Despite this agreement, it appears in February this year the PLC chairman contacted SCC wanting to reopen discussions for the PLC to purchase the freehold.

Within the published minutes and synopsis available on the WSRA and Steam Trust website, i'm afraid I cannot find any mention of reproaching SCC with regards to purchasing the freehold.

This I’m afraid fills me with concern, especially given the email is 16 days after the SDJR were issued an eviction notice for Washford. Many questions now lie unanswered and i believe all supporters of the WSR are due a public response not one on this matter but with regards to the ill treatment of the SDJR Trust. These questions are numerous and not limited to the following:
    • Is the PLC acting with or without the agreed PDG commitments?
    • What is the plan for the freehold once in the PLC's ownership? How would this be different to the SCC continuing to hold it?
    • Were the WSRA and Steam Trust aware that this approach was going to happen?
    • Are the WSRA and Steam Trust supportive of it?
    • How does this protect the future of the WSR given the current treatment of the SDJR Trust?
    • The email refers to “Sometime back we spoke about revisiting the purchase of the land that the Railway operates on.”, when does this relate to? Since the current PLC Chairman has been in post, the railway has publicly been under severe financial constraints.

Whilst i recognise the challenges being faced by the current COVID-19 incident, i feel these questions need to be answered. I want to ensure the WSR is round for my chidden and grand children to enjoy and unfortunately i don’t believe the approach made in this FOI does that.

Note: none of the information in this post is not now freely available to all to see on other public channels such as the SCC website. I have also separately sent the text of this post to the trustees of the WSRA and Steam Trust to gather their opinion.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Keith Sims, Forestpines, ross and 8 others like this.
  10. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Well at least the SCC have basically told him he needs the agreement of the WSRA and the WSSRT to start negotiations, I'm sure that went down well...
    Amazing that he still thinks he can do whatever he wants. Even more amazing that the WSRA and WSSRT stand by and watch their railway taken over.

I think JJP also needs to enable the spellcheck/grammar check on his email client - 'Hope your both well' 'heritage Railway' - they might seem small points, but he is the MD of a £1m+ business.

Keith

11. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Quite - that reads to me as though SCC are well aware of their commitments, and have given JJP a gentle brush off. But, whatever we think of how he manages the WSR plc, it is not automatically an unreasonable question for him to have asked whether the freehold is up for sale. As we saw a few years ago, the interesting questions are in the detail of the plans.

12. Monkey Magic

Where would the money come from?

jnc, Keith Sims, Forestpines and 5 others like this.
  13. dhpaul

dhpaul Member

Reasonable questions I would say. But good luck with getting any sensible answers from any of the parties involved!

14. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

It's not an unreasonable question I agree, however he will be well aware that the question should be asked by the PDG and not the PLC, WSRA or WSSRT acting alone

@Monkey Magic makes a good point - is there a secret stash of money somewhere? If so, why is there an appeal for rail replacement. The PLC can't have it both ways!

Keith

johnofwessex likes this.
  15. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Well.....

It's reassuring to know that the council know their commitments, even if JJP is unaware of the Plc board's.

The money is the obvious question, landing yourself with a massive financial burden when you've spent the last year telling everyone the finances are touch and go as to whether the business is solvent or not is a, brave... decision.

Interesting that there was no subsequent reply to this, it would be fascinating to know if that was because he went away to chat with the WSRA and WSSRT boards or, having been reminded of what actually needs to happen and the prospect of working together pan-railway decided not to bother.

Oh well, folk were only complaining the other day that the WSR thread continued to grow with nothing new to talk about, at least here's something new to speculate on!

Edit - just reread it again, this bit was also interesting: "however as Michele and I have previously said, in order to take discussions forward" makes it sound like this isn't the first attempt. Given nothing else has shown up on the FOI, presumably this is in the context of verbal discussions.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    ross, Monkey Magic, MellishR and 2 others like this.
  16. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

ISTR that the last attempt at purchasing the freehold was to be at least partly financed by selling off "spare" land for development. Now, if the S&DRT were no longer at Washford, there would be some "spare" land there. Access is a bit difficult, but not an insuperable problem.

17. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Very good question, New share issue maybe, one where JJP Holdings buy enough new share issue to have a controlling interest how many of the exsisting share holders would if their shares were deemed to not be of value, unless transferred over to new shares would do that, it would I think give the Chairman the power he says he needs , he could then if he wanted a supporting charity tell all the supporting groups, that he is launching a friends of the West Somerset charity, and that the existing members can either join that, or go elsewhere.

18. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

There's no need to launch a new share issue, and JJP is no Jeremy Hosking. One way or another he more or less sold the Castle to pay for his pannier tank, I don't think he's made of money.

I think @Bayard has a more likely solution, and one that had occurred to me too.

19. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Just before I had my ID Card removed two people in WSR management who are both still there today explained this to me in detail over a number of long conversations (not just a passing comment).

1. The shares in the PLC could be bought for 10p in the £ when it went into administration or a last minute 'management buyout' before it went into administration giving a controlling interest in the PLC to one person.
    2. The freehold would be bought as there would be no other parties to get in the way so SCC would just sell it.
    3. Some land stripped off to sell to pay for the freehold purchase price.

I didn't agree with this course of action and refused to be involved with the 'place at the table' promised. I will always maintain this is a community railway to be owned by the people for the people. A little later I had my ID Card removed and have been called a trouble maker ever since.

I'm sorry, this is the WSRA EX6 all over again, a small group of people trying to take the WSR over for their own ends, to the exclusion of the other family members and the community.

Some on here have said there must be more to the story of the S&D eviction. You could also reach the conclusion that getting rid of the S&DRT removes one sitting tenant so you can build some holiday chalets to pay for the land. Anybody like a holiday in Washford !!

20. Monkey Magic

That would be quite the Night of the Long Knives.

I think @martin1656 has the aim correct and @Bayard has the how it will be done correct.

You buy the freehold, tell everyone to do one and run it as your own fiefdom.

ross and flying scotsman123 like this.