If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

But rather like the virus, will those of us who emerge from our self-isolation cocoon after 3 months (or more), do so only to find that is merely dormant in the community and flares up again? Have we not already just passed through one period of a threat to the WSR, in which all parts of the 'one railway family' appear to have pulled together as far as they are legally/financial able, only for some to find that the hand which they had fed now returns to bite them ?

tracker likes this.
  2. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Folks, can I ask this, please go to Steve's excellent web site. http://www.wsr.org.uk/ read all the latest info.

If you can even see a hatchet then do let me know?

Thank you.

malcolm imps and DragonHandler like this.
  3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

We all saw a hachet in the form of the solicitor's letter telling the Trust to quit their site.

4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Therein lies the issue - that is Dr Jekyll; the solicitor’s letter was Mr Hyde.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. The Quantock Belle is ready to appear in service in the very best external condition ever presented in our 40 year history of dining trains on the Whizzer. Such a shame we can't celebrate that wonderful milestone just yet. I'm sure we will, just as soon as possible.

Looking forward to seeing Steve Lewis's excellent picture of the reformed set berthed at Williton published on wsr.org.uk. Makes one want to volunteer aboard. Must be coincidence that my HOPS card arrived in t'post this morning!

JBTEvans, malcolm imps and Steve Edge like this.
  6. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

The above was in response to a suggestion we all look for a 'hatchet' on wsr.org.uk but to save folks looking, no-one will find such that solicitor's letter there, so please look elsewhere (perhaps it has been published on this forum?)

Steve

malcolm imps likes this.
  7. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    To offer an example of how preserved railways are likely to suffer financially during the Coronavirus outbreak, I have copied and pasted an appeal issued by the NYMR.

''WE NEED YOUR HELP. The NYMR is a registered charity (501388) and without operating this would have a substantial impact on its future.
    • The NYMR can’t claim insurance compensation for business interruption.
    • The government has not offered monetary aid to charities yet.
    • The only government help currently available would put the railway into significant debt, which may take years to pay off.
    We could potentially lose up to £1 million over the upcoming weeks. Figures of this magnitude could threaten the very existence of the railway.
    Please help now and support the NYMR to ensure we survive''.

Perhaps now is the time to put to one side the present self inflicted issue at the WSR and donate a generous sum to keep our beloved WSR afloat. <BJ>

malcolm imps likes this.
  8. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Wise words.

And remember that monies donated via the charities attract a 25% uplift from gift aid if you are a U.K. tax payer.

Robin

9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Post #23922 referred us to wsr.org.uk and said "If you can even see a hatchet then do let me know?". It did not say "If you can even see a hatchet on that website then do let me know?" Perhaps that was implicit but I had not read it that way.

malcolm imps and Steve Edge like this.
  10. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    Additional funds made to the WSR two days ago and gratefully acknowledged.

Robin Moira White likes this.
  11. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

Interesting choice does WSR deserve support ahead of NYMR, or SVR, they can't all be supported.

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Indeed not, but that is where trust is massively important. When I decide which charitable organisations to support, and which not, my decision making goes:

1. Do I believe in the objective for which support is being sought?
    2. Do I believe the organisation seeking the funds will use them in an efficient and effective manner?
    I'll prioritise on that basis (and numerous organisations will want help, so some will get it from me and some won't). Ultimately, it is down to us as individuals as to how we see the answers to those questions in respect of the WSR and other competing appeals. The second one for me is key in respect of any organisation.

Tom

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    TseTT, Monkey Magic, mdewell and 2 others like this.
  13. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

I have to admit that a third factor I will consider is whether the railway concerned is a charity, or a PLC. If it is a charity, it is far more likely to get my support. PLC's have other means of raising funds. I am a member of two railways, and will see how best to support them both.

14. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

Which railways deserve people's support are a matter of personal choice, people can't support every railway's appeal even if they'd like to.
    As this is a WSR thread it's not surprising that the WSR appeal will be prioritised, I expect that the NYMR, SVR or any other railway's thread on here will prioritise their appeals.

15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I suspect that may be hard on those structured as plcs. That closes down one avenue of fundraising, just as they are both suffering an income squeeze and unable to benefit from schemes like Gift Aid.

However, that structural question sits well behind others in determining whom I might give to.

Jamessquared likes this.
  16. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    But won't most of us prioritise the railways that we normally support?

malcolm imps likes this.
  17. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

>>>The NYMR can’t claim insurance compensation for business interruption....

But would that restriction apply to the WSR PLC?

As regards 'hatchets', not being one to resist such a challenge I went looking thru' Mr E'e website (as one does anyway) and found the Cutting-Back gangs seem to have hidden theirs very well in all the photos :) However I did see quite a few large sledgehammers in use by the PW, which brought to mind the phrase about 'cracking nuts'....

malcolm imps likes this.
  18. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    I've accepted the invitation to look at Steve's excellent website. It appears to contain a built in hatchet in the form of yet another WRSA backed appeal for funds.

Clearly the trustees at the leadership end of the WSRA do not seem to get the message being delivered by the many people who have stake holdings in the WSR.

The Message Being:

1. The continuing five weeks of the reluctance of the WRSA to make any statement for or against the WSR Plc's actions concerning the S&DRT eviction suggests that the WSRA is nowt but a fund raising arm of the WSR Plc.

2. The WSRA's reluctance to make any statement at all (for or against the eviction issue in question} has already had the effect of diverting both funds and support away from the WSR and into the coffers of the S&DRT. An organisation who need all the funding that they can get both to fight the eviction order and perhaps to fund a move if they lose their case.

3. The WSRA has a shrinking membership. The current behaviour of the WSRA trustees can only serve to reduce the WSRA membership at an even faster rate. If the WSRA carries on ignoring its stakeholders as it is doing at the present? Then the WSRA will eventually be small enough to hold its AGM in a brake van owned by one of the WSRA trustees.

Jamie Glover.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Fish Plate, SID125 and nine elms fan like this.
  19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I a member or shareholder of four preserved railway organisations (not just railways). I’ve affection for others, the WSR amongst them. My choices may be specific, but I doubt that I’m unusual in having a spectrum to choose between.

If I’m to open my wallet - which includes persuading my wife that I should - I need to have a reason why, a view of how much, and a sense of urgency.

One of “mine” (NYMR) has launched a crisis appeal, I’ve yet to hear specifically of the others. I’m aware all are in need to greater or lesser extent.

So, how do I choose?

20. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Jamie,

If you don't like the stance taken by the WSRA as a support charity of the WSR then you are free to say so. I receive and answer correspondence from concerned members on a range of subjects almost every day.
    You are equally free to offer yourself to the membership as a potential trustee and to move to change the way the charity does things if elected. You may however find that the restrictions of charity law hamper some of that.

Specifically
    • Decisions effecting the charity must be taken collectively by the trustees
    • A charity must always act in the best interest of the charity and its objects as determined by the trustees.
    The WSRA has had problems in the past, that is acknowledged. It got to the point of making almost zero contribution to the WSR. Those dark days are behind us thankfully due to the efforts of many, many people. The charity now makes a healthy six figure contribution to the WSR. That is our purpose as stated in our objects. One of the things that has heartened me personally is those volunteers who left the WSRA who have re-joined since it has turned itself around.

To be very clear trustees are not free to make public statements collectively or personally about things out with the charities objects.

Can I also say that people can and should support the charities of their choosing. It does not matter why they chose one charity over another or if they move their support it is a completely personal decision based on the things they care most about.
    As has been said elsewhere in the thread not everybody can support everything. Charities have to accept this with good grace and humility, there is no other path.