If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Doubtful, and financially unsound. Who to provide the enormous subsidy?

Perhaps we could start with buses running later than 18:30 from Minehead?

SCC’s obligation over Seaward Way Crossing was locked in when the road was built at the turn of the 80’s / 90’s. I did have a hand in drafting the agreement.

Robin

2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I've looked at the survey, and would not touch it in a million years. It is by a campaigning group who do not have the guts to share their details, and they are proposing to use my input (were I to do so) as part of a submission to ministers. The survey questions are highly directed, and I have no confidence in any of the output.

3. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    We have to learn to do this in Somerset - we have started in a modest way with the WSRA’s £96,000 community grant and the WSSRT’s £40,000 museum grant.

At least we are not now fighting each other, but we need to integrate and simplify the WSR arrangements and make best use of charitable status.

Robin

4. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    MRLG by any chance? A quick check of their website suggests so.

And why not say clearly who you are?

This sort of thing is really unhelpful as a distraction from the big issues to be tackled in Somerset.

How about MRLG getting behind the track appeal?

Robin

5. The Man of Kent

The Man of Kent New Member

The survey appears to have been created by a Minehead resident by the name of Roland Bushell who claims no connection with MRLG. If he is connected perhaps someone here will know?

He says on Facebook
    "Please note too that the report in this week`s Press referring to this survey as a Rail Group initiative was incorrect. This survey is entirely independent of any interest group, is by the community and it is to be hoped eventually, will be for the community".

The following is an exchange on the Minehead Community Group page on Facebook -

WW - Is it anonymous ?

Roland Bushell Sorry - No names or home addresses, but does need an e-mail address.

WW - Roland Bushell just worried will get spammed mail from info sharing.

Roland Bushell I do understand that. All I can do is guarantee that I am the only person seeing the e-mail addresses, they are only used to send out an acknowledgement if somebody wants one, and to ensure that there are no multiple submissions. The file is locked in my University account to which nobody else has access and will be destroyed on September 2nd when the survey ends.

WW - Roland Bushell that's good enough for me, will submit from pc when home

Roland Bushell Thanks for that - your contribution will be very welcome. I`ll be posting the results of the first week`s submissions here on Saturday.

6. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Well, he has certainly been closely associated with them in the past, and see how it is promoted on their website.

I’d love to understand how it can be said to be said to be ‘by the Community’. And given my GDPR responsibilities as ‘data controller’ in my personal business and the other organisations I work for, I would be loathe to provide my e-mail address.

Robin

35B likes this.
  7. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I understand many of the points made recently, BUT it comes back to what happened to @Andy Norman, and it appears that he might not be the only one.

@aldfort is clearly commendably busy but at least one person who could have helped the railway in many ways was shown the door in some rather strange circumstances.

Clearly there are issues that need to be adressed

8. Roland Bushell

Roland Bushell New Member

The survey I have designed and I have distributed through Minehead, Watchet and Williton Community f/b sites is designed to be a limited exercise to provide some useful data concerning the views West Somerset`s residents have of West Somerset`s transport problems. It has been shared many times by others including to WSR.org.uk. All results will be posted online and it is entirely up to whosoever reads them to do whatever they like with them. I have undertaken this ridiculously time-consuming burden in an effort to encourage others with far more resources and capabilities than I possess to put more effort into researching and supporting the needs of a badly neglected community in a badly connected part of the UK. AS Robin has quite rightly pointed out here I was involved with the Rail Group for some 12 months up until the end of 2017 - Andy Norman actually attended the last meeting I went to, and he would probably confirm it was a fairly unpleasant experience. I still have some sympathy for their objectives, but despair at their modus and some of their members I found to be less than engaging. This survey is not intended to support their odd organisation, or any other. It is intended to be noticed however. Objective achieved.

9. johnofwessex

Roland,

Welcome & thank you for sharing that

Your comments on the MRLG are most interesting

10. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Yes, thanks Roland. I always have more respect for those who stand up to be counted.

My question would be about the reliability of the ‘how much would you pay’ question. So easy to answer this theoretically.

Robin

11. j&mkeynes

j&mkeynes Guest

Yes - particularly when so many residents use free bus services. But I couldn't think of a better way to develop some indication of price sensitivities to bus and train fare pricing. All the question really provides is a reference point for further research.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

malcolm imps and michaelh like this.
  12. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    The bus is a fairly good start.

Robin

13. Roland Bushell

Apologies for the ID confusion - switching between my phone and PC. I`ll delete my old account ASAP.

Wenlock likes this.
  14. Roland Bushell

Again, agree. It`s whether or not people are prepared to pay a premium price for a rail service. No real indication up until now that they are. But the survey will run for another week and then I`ll have more to share.

15. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    A more interesting survey might be the origin, destination and purpose of folk’s journeys. That might give a better steer as to whether they could be tempted out of their car to travel railway station to railway station.

As a resident of Station House, Stogumber who uses public transport to travel the country for work, I suspect I am in a special category.

By contrast, I suspect that, these days, the (fairly hilly) mile from Stogumber village to the station, couple with the rigidity of any sensible service (two-hourly?) would put a lot of folks off.

Robin

16. The Man of Kent

The Man of Kent New Member

Speaking for myself, I have free bus travel but have chosen to order an annual rail pass and also pay the shuttle cost. I am happy to do that for the comfort of the train.

The fact that I ordered my annual pass online more than a month ago, have chased it up and am still waiting is another issue.

malcolm imps likes this.
  17. johnofwessex

My renewal was pretty quick, especially as it involved a query about the photo card.

The website doesnt seem to be geared up for renewals yet.

Its a pity it cant be done in person

18. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

I am sure your observations are likely to be proven Roland, often people will agree to a project - until they are asked to put their hands into their pockets.
    I cant understand the hostility to the MRLG by some on the WSR. It isn't like its a take over by them but a extra services aimed at locals. In fact if they were successful - highly unlikely it seems for many reasons, some having been well aired here in the past - then they would represent extra services for which the PLC would get some payment and hopefully other benefits.
    Regarding fundraising The Association, I understand, has already appointed a part time fundraiser.

Captain Fantastic likes this.
  19. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

My wife and I have Bus Passes, but we also purchase (using Tesco Vouchers) Railway Senior Passes. We are probably typical of those who travel by public transport - not on expenses - how would a WSR public transport service compete with this?

20. Roland Bushell

I think that`s an eminently sensible next stage. As is pretty obvious, the survey I have put together is very cheap and cheerful and leaves a lot of questions still to be answered. I am unsure at this point though just who is most likely to want to carry out further research here - I will send a summary and links to a number of people that might be receptive and record that online too. But if the data generated by the survey is going to do any long-term good, I`ll need to give this more thought. All feedback in this respect and with regard to the survey itself, very welcome.